Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Taos Ski Valley opens today!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-24-05, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The skis are screaming that it's there turn to get out! Lots of jealousy in this family.

I think the bikes are happy, they had a great season this year and made their goal of 1000 miles this past Monday. I thought it funny that just as the odometer turned 1000 I was at the one and only STOP sign on the ride. Nothing sublingual here! This is the first time my husband made the magical 1000 and his computer stopped working with 30 miles to go, great timing!

This year I was excited about getting the 1000 miles but ... been there, done that before and was really working on improving my speed. At the beginning of the season I struggled to get 14 mph on my favorite 10 mile ride, then something happened and the speeds just flew through the 14's. Couple weeks back I averaged 16 mph over the 10 mile ride and was estatic! Yahoo, I've never been so speedy. Imagine how disappointed I was when I did 15.9!

Now I will need to sharpen the skis and think about next year's goals. I am sure the bikes will make an occasional appearance over the winter but why live at the base of the best ski mountain in the world and not go visit the summit?

Happy Thanksgiving Everbody
Old 11-24-05, 09:34 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And Happy Thanksgiving to you!

I'm envious of the fact that you live at the base of a ski mountain, and in Taos as well. That may be my favorite real estate on the entire planet. Congrats on reaching your goal, and have a BLAST on the slopes!

I'm out the door, ready for my TG ride.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 11-24-05, 04:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's the coolest, Taos Woman.

I used to be an fanatical skier, but then my knees went bye-bye. They're doing a lot better now and I've been hankering to go up to Tahoe or, dream of dreams, rent a condo at Mammoth, a GREAT ski resort!!!
Old 11-24-05, 04:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithA
That's the coolest, Taos Woman.

I used to be an fanatical skier, but then my knees went bye-bye. They're doing a lot better now and I've been hankering to go up to Tahoe or, dream of dreams, rent a condo at Mammoth, a GREAT ski resort!!!

Biking has helped the knees so much I can't believe it!
We've never made it past Utah but skied for many years on loud powder in Vermont.
Old 11-24-05, 04:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, hey, I took a ski trip once to many of Utah's great resorts. They have super nice snow. I'd love to ski Vermont as well, not just for the skiing, but Vermont's a pretty cool state. And, I'd love to hit some of the Colorado resorts.
Old 11-24-05, 06:56 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You're making me home sick dear. As a Raton boy I did my skiing in Angel Fire though.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-25-05, 07:57 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Almost sounds like heaven. Great cycling.....great skiing.....if there were only a golf course or two around.......

Congrats on the 1000 and seeing the continued improvements and in speed and endurance. I just love hearing these stories on folks who find cycling to their liking!!
Old 11-25-05, 08:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
You're making me home sick dear. As a Raton boy I did my skiing in Angel Fire though.
Chipcom, Looks like we changed places, my husband and I grew up in Ohio (Go Buckeyes!)
Old 11-25-05, 08:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Almost sounds like heaven. Great cycling.....great skiing.....if there were only a golf course or two around.......

Congrats on the 1000 and seeing the continued improvements and in speed and endurance. I just love hearing these stories on folks who find cycling to their liking!!
ppe, jthere are 2 that I know of ... one in Taos and one about an hour south but since we don't golf it doesn't matter
Old 11-25-05, 04:20 PM

Bikes: Aegis Swift, Titus Racer x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The skiing is great here too. Went to Keystone on Tues. and Copper on Wed. Great conditions. More snow is forcast in the mtns for this weekend.

I'm from Ohio too, grew up in Cincinnati. Lived there for 56 yrs. Now I'm in the great state of Colorado. I love all the days of sunshine and blue skies.

We rode to Red Rocks yesterday and I worked in the yard today, plan to go skiing again next week.

Kathi
Old 11-25-05, 04:27 PM
rider of small bicycles

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I't totally jealous TasoWoman. I skiid Taos last year under the black cloud of a wicked head cold and really didn't sample all that it had to offer. Rest assured ... I'll be back. It's a stunning mountain.

So let me get this straight. You live at the base of mountain? The actual base or down in the valley? If you're at the actual base, does that mean that every time you want to go for a ride on the bike you have to finish the ride with a climb up to the top?

Mark
Old 11-25-05, 06:23 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'm jealous. I have three pair of cross-country skis that have been gathering dust in the bst. for the last 2 years. We haven't had enough snow to ski on in that time. Rather, when we did I was working and could't get away. I'm not sure I could stand up on them any more.
Old 11-25-05, 08:03 PM
ret

Bikes: specialized expedition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We will be leaving for Taos next Thursday for a week. We have friends there. Will probably stop by Gearing Up to say hello to Rey. Hope there is snow so we can take our neice tubing.

ret
Old 11-26-05, 07:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
geneman... It's funny when I think of the Valley as being Up in the mountain. But I live about half a mile from the beginning of Ski Valley Road or what the locals call the Old Blinking Light (it's now a regular traffic light but at one time it was a blinking light). I truely live at the base of the mountain but not at the base of the Ski Valley Resort. Yes that would be an uphill finish every time but not where I live: 7,400 feet vs 9,200. Thank you universe.

This summer we climbed the mountain all the way to the top ... first time. It took me days to recover.
And no the ride down wasn't any fun either!

ret... Even though the resort is open ... NOT MUCH natural snow at the resort yet. I believe only 3 trails open so far and mostly man made! But enough to put the rack on the car and to concentrate on gym work. Maybe snow tonight! Say hi to Shari too! If you haven't tried Orlando's, please do great food.

rck... We use to cross country ski when we lived back East but the snow is so dry here that I can't slide except if the tips are pointed downhill. The cross country gear is sitting in storage with little chance of getting out.

lovemyswift... sounds like you have more snow than we do. I would love to be riding but the winds have been awful ... today they are reporting 50mph gusts. I will go to the gym. We grew up on the other side of Ohio, near Wheeling West Virginia. Once a Buckeye always a Buckeye.
Old 11-29-05, 02:08 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
How cool! I learned to ski at Taos - a sink or swim proposition at best when you're over 40. One of my favorite trips was the year that the comet was clearly visible. Havn't been there for a few years, but hope to start going back. I havn't ridden at Taos, but I've ridden a mtn bike to the top of the mountain at Vail and back down again. After I got past the initial oxygen deprivation ****z attack, it wasn't too bad. The ride down was a blast on Vail's more forgiving slopes. Also, we're originally from NE OH. My youngest daughter now goes to college outside Columbus, in Gambier.
Old 11-29-05, 02:38 PM
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lovemyswift
The skiing is great here too. Went to Keystone on Tues. and Copper on Wed. Great conditions. More snow is forcast in the mtns for this weekend.
Kathi,
You suck!! I mean that in the kindest way. I haven't skiied in nearly 20 years but I still remember the first time I skiied out West. I went to Copper Mountain. A guy from Dallas rode up the lift with me and, when he found out it was my first time in the mountains, he insisted that I ride to the top of the R lift. For a country boy from Kentucky that was an awesome sight.

After only skiing at Paoli Peaks, Indiana and Snowshoe, West Virgina, Colorado was heaven.
Old 11-29-05, 03:41 PM

Bikes: SL4 S-Works, Ibis Mojo 3, Kona Sutra Ltd

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
In March 95 my wife and I honeymooned at Taos. Great week, lots of snow, did a bumps lesson that still to this day was one of my best days ever. I switched to Tele 3 years ago and would love to go back there again. Hopefully we'll be moving out that way for winters in the very near future.