Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are we all riding on Thanksgiving?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-05, 11:02 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know I am, first thing in the morning. I'm actually hoping it's a bit cool, because I found a neat little bright yellow windbreaker (lined and with a hood that folds up into the collar) that's perfect for a Fred like me. I'll look like a fat retired lifeguard wannabe on a police bike.

Anyway, dinner with friends isn't until 3:00 so I ought to be able to get in a nice 25 miler in the morning. Anyone else got anything special planned on two wheels tomorrow?

PS: For those of you who hail from places which don't celebrate Thanksgiving, just imagine a national holiday which hasn't yet been coopted by retailers and card companies, so there's no gift exchange. Also imagine endless platters of wonderful, highly fattening food. And also imagine gatherings of families from near and far, including that weird uncle who gets a little tipsy every year (but no one will confront him) and you'll get the idea.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 11-23-05, 11:27 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Well, I did my 65 miles today and plan to do a rather hilly ride in the mountains on Friday so Thanksgiving will probably find me just playing a game of football with the extended family!!

The folks I ride with around here are planning to ride before enjoying their feast, though.
Old 11-23-05, 11:55 PM
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
left my bike in oklahoma, and I'm home seeing the family, so it'll just be a morning jog for me!
Old 11-23-05, 11:58 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, too much ice on the roads with a -6C temp. Trainer time!
Old 11-24-05, 12:07 AM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, tell me. I'll be on the road for 10 hours in a car driving to Eugene, OR so I can get out and fall asleep face first in the 8:00 turkey dinner. But my son and daughter are home from college and will be with me--woohoot!! On Friday, I can visit some nice bike shops in Eugene. Home Sunday when I can heave my belly up on the toptube and then climb up behind it. Have long morning rides tomorrow all BF'ers but me.
Old 11-24-05, 12:28 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Unfortunately, I'll be driving in the morning to reach my relatives' place for lunch. Ride an extra mile for me, Gary!

Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-05, 01:03 AM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I know I am, first thing in the morning. I'm actually hoping it's a bit cool, because I found a neat little bright yellow windbreaker (lined and with a hood that folds up into the collar) that's perfect for a Fred like me. I'll look like a fat retired lifeguard wannabe on a police bike.
As much as I'd love to, we're looking at a high of around 20 degrees tomorrow, with NW winds at about 20. Just too darn cold for Linda and me. We WILL however be doing about 20 miles on the trainers to one of the Spinervals aerobic base builder series DVDs.

Have a great ride and I'll be thinking of ya!

Steve
Old 11-24-05, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm......Goiing to ride 35 tomorrow, roads and hills. I say crank it up before you get stuff....That will do it.
Old 11-24-05, 04:57 AM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
It's almost 6 am and it's 55 F outside. I think I'll get out there at the crack of dawn and ride 40 before the rest of the family gets up.
Old 11-24-05, 06:44 AM
Old Woman on a Catrike

Bikes: Catrike 5.5.9., Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely! Gonna try for a 40 mile ride - temps are perfect, wind is down to 10-15 mph and traffic should be light. LOVE Florida - in the winter time!
Old 11-24-05, 07:11 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
It's almost 6 am and it's 55 F outside. I think I'll get out there at the crack of dawn and ride 40 before the rest of the family gets up.
Think you can stand those cold temps of 55F?
Old 11-24-05, 07:49 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did 40 yesterday and plan to do my usual 20 today. Weather looks perfect, low wind, 79F and low humidity. Sorry for you guys in the NE with the cold and snow.
Old 11-24-05, 08:13 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
It's a balmy, sunny, 49 degrees this morning warming up to 57 by noon in NC. But my toe/foot is not healing as fast as I would like, so I'm not sure if I can ride or not. Still, I've got plenty to give Thanks for. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on the forum.
Old 11-24-05, 09:12 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Like rocco said it's a beautiful day here in piedmont NC but a touch breezy. I'll be riding in Asheville tomorrow where the high's are only expected to be in the 30's. At least I can make good use of all my cold weather gear!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Old 11-24-05, 09:25 AM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gary, go round a second time for me...I'm shutting down the pc here and heading for Oregon in a few minutes. Should be another blue sky, short sleeve riding day here is CA. Raining next five days in OR. Of course.

A Real Cyclist stuffs his turkey with Clif bars. Everybody enjoy their Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-05, 09:31 AM
Hwy 40 Blue

Bikes: A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes! Heading out soon here, gotta cook this afternoon...
Old 11-24-05, 09:53 AM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Think you can stand those cold temps of 55F?
It does take a little getting used to. VERY little. Started out in lycra shorts and jersey with a wind shell. It was a little cool. By the time I was done I was soaked in sweat. I should have stopped and stuffed the shell in a pocket.

Saw 6 wild turkeys this morning (two hens and four little ones). Appropriate sighting on Thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-05, 11:08 AM
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a good day for riding except for the 15 mile an hour wind (I thought it was a lot more than that when I was riding ) out of the north.
I thought I was going to have an easy ride until I turned to go north into a blast of wind.
I wonder what the relationship is between the resistance of hills and wind speed?
I tested if I could coast down a slight incline. The wind stopped me.

It was a good workout and I was glad for it.

Thank you Lord for health, abundance and freedom!
Old 11-24-05, 11:30 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Just (a shower ago) got back from a whopping 6 mile ride at an average speed of 12.2mph. Temp around 17f with winds at 20mph plus. I wouldn't have done it all, however, I laid in bed under the electric blanket for an extra hour this am reading the book about LA "WAR". Good motivatation. Now its off to the farm for a massive meal and an afternoon of napping. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Old 11-24-05, 12:00 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Just my usual 2 miler to work.

Traffic was joyously light though, and fall is in its fullness.
Old 11-24-05, 01:52 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a WONDERFUL ride around Mission Bay. There were dozens of joggers, walkers, roller bladers, and cyclists on the MUPs. It felt great to be part of the community of people who care enough about their bodies to exercise them!

It was chilly at the beginning, so my new BRIGHT YELLOW lined windbreaker was perfect. I made the 23 mile circuit and was getting quite warm. Once I got to my car, I thought about all the folks who said they couldn't ride today because of a long drive, cold temps, etc. so I pulled off the windbreaker, went back on the path and did another 7 miles for them.

I found two things lying on the street along the way. The first was a playing card -- the Queen of Diamonds. The second -- and I'm NOT making this up -- was a kind of flat rubber chicken. I swear it's true.I brought them both home, perhaps I'll try to photograph the chicken. Now, I'm a person who believes things like this come into our lives as symbols so I can't help but wonder -- what on earth do these things mean?

Now I must clean up, put together my butternut squash / apple casserole, and be off to dine with friends! Happy T-Day!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 11-24-05, 08:46 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was on the road at 7:00 am, and did my usual 25 mile ride. It was 50 degrees when I started, but with no wind and very little traffic, it was a very nice ride.

My goal for this year was 5000 miles, and today's ride gave me 4655 miles, so I'm closing in on it. Have a great holiday weekend everyone!
Old 11-24-05, 10:40 PM
Are we having fun yet?

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cooked today. Once the turkey was in the oven, I took off for my second ride since smashing up my shoulder in late September. The temperature was 34 F, and I think I dressed almost correctly--base layer, heavy jersey, bib shorts, tights, warm socks, hat under the helmet, and long finger gloves. The gloves are usually the issue when it is cold. If I wear the heavy gloves, my hands sweat and, of course, freeze. With the lighter gloves, the hands can be too cold. I wore the lighter gloves and was fine except for the tip of the middle finger on my right hand, which went numb about halfway through the ride, go figure. I thought about wearing shoe covers, but I have to wrestle with them to get them on, and the shoulder is far from its normal strength, so I decided not to. Once I got home, I realized my toes were a bit cold, too. I may need to find a middle-weight glove and some wool socks.

It was wonderful to get out, though.
Old 11-25-05, 09:36 AM

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm envious of you guys - yesterday we had 5" of snow. All the neighbors with plows were away, so I had to plow the 10% grade 1/3 mile hill that is the "common driveway" with my snowblower so that company could make it to the house. Nice to know that the hill that kicks my a$$ on my bike does the same with my snowblower! Did get a good workout, I guess...

It's about 20 degrees this morning with a brisk wind and snow on the roads, so I think I may settle for having Coach Troy bark at me this afternoon on the trainer.
Old 11-25-05, 10:03 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband and I couldn't really decide where we wanted to ride yesterday (T-day), we had already ridden around San Diego Bay 4 days ago, so instead we did the beautiful hills (not really hills) of Kensington and Balboa Park. The streets were pretty much deserted (never seen Balboa Park so empty) so it made for a nice ride. The only part my husband hates is all the stop signs and stop lights. He had suggested earlier that we ride to Alpine (now that's climb), but I said no I wasn't in the mood to have a sore butt all day. We ended up eating at an organic food place, which wasn't to bad. We only did around 22 miles but with all the stop and go it seems like a lot more. Will anyone ride on Christmas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.