Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   New Cateye Wireless (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/157673-new-cateye-wireless.html)

Garfield Cat 12-05-05 10:14 AM

New Cateye Wireless

I recently got a new Cateye wireless CD 300 DW. It works fine but due to my aging eyesight, the characters seem difficult to read. The size of the font may be ok, but I wish it were in bold display. The top left and right are big enough but the bottom half of the screen is way too small for me. Also the mounting on the bars makes it difficult to access the button that starts a riding session and also to reset after a ride.

I bought this online for $90.00 or so.

stapfam 12-05-05 04:45 PM

Hate to say it, but that eyesight problem keeps rearing its head for me. I have two cateye wireless computers. The new one is rarely used as the the digits are just a bit small. Then on the heart monitor, I have the nice expensive one that I use at the gym. Looks flash but I have to bring it to my eyes to read it, and as for the smaller letters that tell me average HR or Calories used, Forget it. On the bike I use my 6 year old basic monitor that only registers current HR. Big letters that almost talk to me- At least that what I think when I see that I am not working hard enough

jppe 12-05-05 05:47 PM

I've been doing the "monovision" thing the last 5-6 years and it has helped me better see that kind of stuff. I wear contacts which makes riding without glasses a little tough at times but I just have not been able to wrestle up the dollars for lasik....

oldcrank 12-06-05 12:45 PM

Perhaps one of those small, pocket-sized, flat plastic magnifiers . . . cut to size and neatly laminated over the LCD display. Or perhaps better yet, rising at a 45-degree angle that you could look down through it for greater magnification. Just a thought for something along those lines.

Old Hammer Boy 12-06-05 05:45 PM

Minoura makes a headlight mounting handlebar thingie. It's about 3" long and quite adjustable. It might allow for better positioning of your computer. It's not the most beautiful thing, but it might help. I went with monovision lasik about 9 months ago and love it, but I was only out about 2.7 diopters out. OHB

cheeseflavor 12-09-05 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
I recently got a new Cateye wireless CD 300 DW. It works fine but due to my aging eyesight, the characters seem difficult to read. The size of the font may be ok, but I wish it were in bold display. The top left and right are big enough but the bottom half of the screen is way too small for me. Also the mounting on the bars makes it difficult to access the button that starts a riding session and also to reset after a ride.

I bought this online for $90.00 or so.

That's a great price. Linda and I each have that same 'puter, and while I can see the displays (speed, cadence, odometer) just fine, I have a hard time seeing the little icons next to them. After a while, you get to know what each of them is and that helps. It is nice not having all those wires, and I also haven't been able to find a wireless 'puter that has the sensors on the rear wheel (needed for the trainer).

Steve

trmcgeehan 12-16-05 03:14 AM

I too have a Cateye wireless, and I can't read the insanely small designations on the bottom of the screen. So I have trained myself to look at the bigger numbers near the top of the screen, and deduce what phase I am in. If I see 6.25, I guess that's the miles; if I see 01:20:05, I deduce that this is elapsed time; if I see 11014, this is probably total miles ridden since day one. Why don't the engineers who design these things make the designations bigger for us old farts? Also, with Cateye, some of the numbers are so close to the edge of the screen, it is hard to read them. The Cateye unit itself works great -- hasn't missed a beat. From now on, it's wireless for me!

Savas 12-17-05 05:48 AM

I was shopping around for some online and realized the visibility criteria became paramount, for both convenience, satisfaction and safety. What good are certain features if you cannot discern them? Or have a hard enough time doing it that you might plow into something. I will be looking for a LBS that have some in stock for firsthand review.