Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Who's riding on Christmas day? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/161652-whos-riding-christmas-day.html)

Digital Gee 12-22-05 08:55 PM

Who's riding on Christmas day?

Besides me, I mean?

I may do a half century. Darn weather is too darn good. Been in the seventies... :D

GrannyGear 12-22-05 09:19 PM

DeeGee,

If you've got the stuff
To ride in the buff
Then go in the morn
While we tear open our stuff!

The roads will be clear
So no reason to fear
That babes young and old
will point, pant, and leer :love:

I pray you'll have sun
And I'll no longer have fun
For this thread from our fred
Re: nude / lewd is done.

BTW, Yes....if I can sandwich in a few miles between gifts, breakfast, revelry, and dinner. And DG, you're a good sport & sportsman over a very sorta innocent observation on helmet safety you posted.....glad you came out of hiding.

cyclintom 12-22-05 09:27 PM

I'm not taking my new bike out in the pouring rain we've seen here lately being described on the internet and news as "showers". Does it count as showers if it pisses down rain for 12 hours and let's up for 15 minutes here and there?

The plan is that the roads will be dry Sunday morning and I'll put in 40 miles.

GrannyGear 12-22-05 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by cyclintom
I'm not taking my new bike out in the pouring rain.

There's probably a humorous observation here about cyclists: CyclinTom has a garage full of bikes and not one of them can be allowed to deteriorate into a worthy rain-beater-bike. Riding in a warm rain (find one this time of year, right!) isn't so bad....except it fogs up my prescription glasses and I can't see. Steady rain puts me in the garage on the w.t.

dbmcclus 12-22-05 09:49 PM

Santa is bringing me my first road bike, a Trek Pilot 2.1 w/Look A5.1 clipless pedals and Shimano R098 road shoes.

I live in North East Alabama between Birmingham and Atlanta. Temp Christmas day is suppose to be in the fifties. I am going riding for sure! Currently ride a comfort bike.

Dennis

oldcrank 12-22-05 10:01 PM

Welcome dbmcclus. Congrats on the first road bike . . . enjoy!

Rain mixed with sleet at times here on Christmas Day. Which is a shame since I just heard that the house will be cleared out by 3:00 p.m. this year (plus the mrs. has to work night shift -- RN).

Since I'll be alone, I may put my new ride together. Got the frame last week, and have all of the components ready to go. All I need right now is some time in the shop (I like to work from start to finish, rather than piece work). Perhaps I'll be emerging with a full-campy, Croll hand-made frame 531-competition road bike on Christmas night.

It's driving me nuts sitting here looking at the frame and parts!

Have a great ride to all those riding!

FarHorizon 12-22-05 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by oldcrank
...Perhaps I'll be emerging with a full-campy, Croll hand-made frame 531-competition road bike on Christmas night...

PICTURES!!! WE WANT PICTURES!!!

Merry Christmas! :D

acidosmosis 12-22-05 10:11 PM

I most likely will ride on Christmas Day, if the weather permits.

cyclezen 12-22-05 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by oldcrank
Welcome dbmcclus. Congrats on the first road bike . . . enjoy!

Rain mixed with sleet at times here on Christmas Day. Which is a shame since I just heard that the house will be cleared out by 3:00 p.m. this year (plus the mrs. has to work night shift -- RN).
Since I'll be alone, I may put my new ride together. Got the frame last week, and have all of the components ready to go. All I need right now is some time in the shop (I like to work from start to finish, rather than piece work). Perhaps I'll be emerging with a full-campy, Croll hand-made frame 531-competition road bike on Christmas night.
It's driving me nuts sitting here looking at the frame and parts!
Have a great ride to all those riding!

Yes, welcome dbmcclus - is that 'Double-Butted' >db< ? - mcclus ???

Oldcrank, was gonna ask, what town do you live in? used to spend a ton of time in Eastern PA, both on biz and pleasure (besides the track).

We need some pics of the Croll - unbuilt, just the frame would be nice, to see the 'make'... here or in Vin-taghe...
'Nuts' - I understand that!

err, threadwise

So-Cal is predicted to have a 'heatwave' for the Christmas weekend, in 'LALA' the temps might hit 80, the interior valleys might get up to 90. Will prolly be mid-70s in our valley.
Since we're 'old world', Christmas Eve is the BIG event, so ride 50 on Sat morning and then 20ish with the family on Christmas and another 30 on my own, and squeeze a surf session in on both days.
Surf has been 'epic' for the last 4 days and is predicted to settle & hold solid 7-10ft surf thru New Year - WOOHOO! And I have only 2 halfdays of work next week! I mustta been a good boy this year!

Velo Dog 12-23-05 12:14 AM

Going down to the Bay area, taking the bike, hoping for the best. It's been pretty rainy in Reno, and it's dark all the time I'm home this time of year, but I'm hoping to get in at least 25 miles or so Saturday and Sunday.

stapfam 12-23-05 01:39 AM

If I go out on christmas day- I will be lynched. "Just popping out to stretch the legs dear" and I can imagine what the reply will be. Problem is that if I go out for a ride- I like to put a few miles in- Then it will be on the solo and that does not like road so it will be up on the hills for a quick (Doubt it) 25 miles. Then when I get to my favourite Cafe it will be closed. Back home for a quick wash for the bike (Takes about 30 minutes) and a bath for me. Then it is sit down To dinner and then relax. I admit that I relax so much after a ride that I am comatose.

Then the real reason why I am not going for a ride- You have all heard of the game Buckaroo. The kicking donkey that you take thing off until it bucks-- Well my kids have a version of that game called "Mum"aroo.
Instead of taking bits off mum, while she is resting her eyes- They put things on till she wakes up. I know they are waiting to get "Dad"aroo going but I am selfish and do not wish to give them their fun.

pastorbobnlnh 12-23-05 05:01 AM

Hmm, I wonder if I can squeeze in even 10 miles on the trainer? Let's see: Up by 4:00 a.m. to practice sermon. At 6:30 wife and daughter rise to open gifts, quick shower, breakfast and then dash to the church at 9:00 for Sunday's service (first time on Christmas Day since 1994). Coffee time, back to the house for Christmas dinner with a few guests, clean the kitichen, etc. Leave for a second Christmas dinner at a friend's house (what was my wife thinking?). Back home maybe by 10:00 p.m. Up the next morning to start writing the New Year's Day sermon. I don't think I'll be able to squeeze my Christmas Day ride in until the 26th!

Bob

BTW, my wife is receiving a fluid trainer for Christmas. I love to see her sweat!

oldcrank 12-23-05 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by cyclezen
Oldcrank, was gonna ask, what town do you live in? used to spend a ton of time in Eastern PA, both on biz and pleasure (besides the track).

We need some pics of the Croll - unbuilt, just the frame would be nice, to see the 'make'... here or in Vin-taghe...
'Nuts' - I understand that!

I live right in center city Allentown in the historic district downtown. Bought the house as a handyman special about 25 years ago when I worked for Rodale Press, and have restored it completely. Neighborhood has changed a lot in that time though -- and not for the better. Shootings, drugs, State Police helicopters circling at night with search lights, etc. -- all mixed in with regular folks that have been here for years in nice historic row homes.

Another downside is that I have to fight traffic just to get to a place where I can finally "ride". The streets, as I'm sure you remember, are very old and narrow -- so ANY snow on the sides makes it next to impossible until you're out of town.

I'll get a few pics of the Croll in Vintage before I build it up.

Enjoy any riding this weekend folks. Write reports and post them!

GrannyGear 12-23-05 08:52 AM

OldCrank,
Aside from the fact that we're mature enough to know steel is timeless and Reynolds 531 belongs to the Golden Age, etc., why not some more "contemporary" frame material (a more exotic steel?) and why Croll....not familiar with them. Any particular line of Campy parts or a mix? Don't forget the pizza recipes.

shokhead 12-23-05 08:57 AM

I am so i can see all the new bikes.

geraldatwork 12-23-05 09:03 AM

I will not be riding Christmas day but will ride about 40 miles the day before on Christmas eve. I plan on riding on New Years Day weather permitting.

Litespeed 12-23-05 09:22 AM

For sure I will ride on Christmas. My husband and I will probably take the tandem out and go around San Diego Bay (our annual ride). It is suppose to be around 80 on Christmas :D (and yes I'm bragging). If by some chance my husband can't ride with me, I will join Jeff on a Knickerbiker ride around Mission Bay. ;) Having no family here and no kids makes it perfect to do what you want when you want. Hope everyone else has a wonderful Christmas and you get all the bicycling gifts you ask Santa for ! :love:

turtleguy54 12-23-05 09:24 AM

Well, I was just getting into the whole winter riding thing and loving it. And now it is in the 70's. Go figure West Texas! Got a house full of college kids here but I will still plan to ride some on Christmas. Just got back into riding and plan on taking my Surly out on the Farm to Market roads and also hitting some turn rows through the cotton fields. BTW, Paster Bob, I am a PK so I know how your time this time of year can be crowded with family and community. Merry Christmas to all.

Digital Gee 12-23-05 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh

BTW, my wife is receiving a fluid trainer for Christmas. I love to see her sweat!

Pastor Bob, you are a hoot! I'd love to come to your church some Sunday...I bet you give wonderful sermons! :)

jisaak 12-23-05 11:00 AM

The goal is to get a ride in, but the forecast is -1 C with a chance of wet snow/freezing rain. I don't mind the temp as long as it doesn't go to far below freezing but the wind is another story. Christmas Eve looks good as +3 C is temp and some rain in the forecast - maybe squeek in 30K.

Merry Christmas to all.

jppe 12-23-05 12:42 PM

We'll have our weekly 100 mile ride on Christmas Eve and then for Christmas it's "over the hills and throughs the woods to _______ house we go!!!" with family in our cars.

Have a safe ride for those that will have the opportunity to get out and ride! While you are out riding, be sure and take a few moments to look around and soak in all the glorious things we're blessed with.

Coyote! 12-23-05 01:05 PM

Yeah, I'll probably be out if there're no emergent family issues. Christmas is a low-key affair at Hacienda Coyote. The big holidays and Sundays during football season are great to be out there doing stuff. [I especially love football season 'cause being double recessive for the sports gene, I have the outdoors all to myself. RANT=ON Deer season is another trip all together. Ye Gods, it's amazing the long-range-high-velocity-flat-trajectory-fire-through-an-anvil shoulder artillery we let people carry. . .but that's another story. I try to stay on public roads and in the interior of national parks for the duration of War on Whitetails Season. RANT=OFF]

jcm 12-23-05 01:09 PM

Cyclintom continues to crack me up! I can see him now - scowling and pacing back and forth between the rows of thoroughbreds in his stable. Bike shoes making an audible statement of disgust. Looking out the window at the rain and wondering what-is-to-become-of-it-all! hahahaha!!!

Let it rain, baby! My PONCHO beckons and there will be no traffic.

Bud Bent 12-23-05 07:50 PM

It looks like it will be Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas rides for my wife and I.

p8rider 12-23-05 08:01 PM

I will ride tomorrow morning, but not on Christmas.

Tomorrow I was going to begin riding the new 5200. Instead it will be the final ride of the year on the p8. I was looking over my p8 computer this morning and realized that with a 20 mile ride I would surpass 1,500 for the year on the p8. For that it just seems fitting to ride the p8 and let the 5200 wait until the day after Christmas. Also my wife feels it is more fitting to wait until Christmas since the 5200 is technically a Christmas gift.

Went out this morning temp. 27F I really was not in the mood, but need to go so as to be in some sort of shape for the New Year's day Polar Ride
You may not believe it, but I can now tell a difference between 27 and 23F. At 27F this morning my jaw did not freeze quite so much as it does at 23F. As it happens it was a good ride. After being away for Thanksgiving, then directly from that I was away on a trip followed by a rainy return I was off the bike for almost 2 1/2 weeks. That being the case, today was the first day my ride felt normal. I had power where I needed it and was looking to challenge hills rather than survive the ride