Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Old Ride, New Ride

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old Ride, New Ride

Old 12-26-05, 08:58 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old Ride, New Ride

The last several days have been very busy as you might expect with a 12 and 9 year old in the house. However I did get out on Christmas eve morning and took a good final year ride on the P8. With this ride I passed 1,500 miles for the year.
When I first began cycling for exercise last March I assumed it would be great to ride 3 times a week, maybe 20 miles. Then in June I set a goal of 1,000 for the year. I passed that in Sept. and thought 1,500 would be nice. To me it was fitting that I rode it on the P8 even though a brand new Trek 5200 is in my bike room. It was a pretty day temp went from 30 to 40F during the ride and I wound up with 1,505 total on the P8 for the year.

Today, the day after Christmas I rode the 5200 for the first time as my bike, rather than the 7 mile test ride I took a couple of weeks ago when it was the LBS's bike. Took a nice 20 mile ride on a very blustery morning with wild wind gusts out of the northwest. At one point I was pedalling to keep any kind of speed while riding DOWN a hill. The ride itself was great. Coming from a steel bike known for it's smooth ride I was really impressed that the 5200 was smoother. Gear selection was fun with so many more ratio's to choose since the 5200 has a 10 gear cassette. The brakes are unbelievable in comparison to the P8. On this average ride, I had no discomfort or feeling of bad fit in either seat height to pedals as well as from seat to the bars. With the wind conditions, I didn't set any speed records as the bike was being pushed all over the place. I did have one short stint with a tailwind on a nice flat section travelling along at a little over 24mph. The clipless pedals kept me worried any time I came to a stop, but (knock on wood) I did not fall, (today).

Attached are a couple of pics showing the 5200. Next year 2,500 miles. I don't know how many I will ride this week, perhaps I can hit 1,600 for an '05 total.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
5200 profile.jpg (76.5 KB, 45 views)
5200 crank & crings.jpg (76.3 KB, 37 views)
5200 cassette & stays.jpg (79.4 KB, 26 views)
5200 logo.jpg (51.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-26-05, 09:22 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations!

Nice to have you meet your goal on your original steed...and then it must have been so much fun to take out the new stallion!

Our achievements have been pretty similar this year in terms of mileage so I can vry much relate to what you've done. Way to go. The 5200 looks like a helluva bike!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-26-05, 09:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Our achievements have been pretty similar this year in terms of mileage so I can vry much relate to what you've done.
Gary - I have frequently had similar thoughts. We began in similar fashion this year and have shared many of the same experiences. You just have much more humorous ways of expressing them!!
Old 12-26-05, 10:07 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
SWEEEEEEET ride! I especially like those sharp-looking cranks! Enjoy!!!
Old 12-27-05, 05:17 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
P8 & Gary,

Great success stories! Add me to the list. I bought a trainer this time last year with my Christmas bonus and began using it on Jan 1. I did so to strengthen my lower back muscles on my pitifully overweight body. I managed to reach a measly 225 miles on the trainer by the end of May before heading back out on the roads (snow melts late here in NH). At that point I decided if I worked hard I MIGHT be able to reach 1000 m between the trainer and outside. By the end of July I felt as if I was on track with 485 m, felt stronger than ever on the hills and could handle more and more distance. BUT then the hammer dropped. I rode 6 miles in the bike portion of a mini Triathlon Aug. 7 and in the process had the worse headache of my life which lasted for 2 weeks. The short story is I'm fine but I couldn't ride again in Aug. until the 29th.

On Sep. 1 I recalculated what I needed to ride to reach 1000 m. I made it on Nov. 12 and decided I could reach 1200 m. I hit that on Dec. 14 and as the year comes to a close I'm certain I can reach 1300 m (1245 m after 20 m on the trainer yesterday). I've averaged 200 m per month since Sep., lost 30 lbs., discovered this inspirational forum in Oct., and haven't pulled a lower back muscle all year! My wife loves me and my 13 year old daughter loves school! Could life be any grander!?!

May you both be blessed in 2006 to reach your goals and possibly even surpass them!

Bob
Old 12-27-05, 06:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a nice looking bike. May you spend many lifetimes together.
Old 12-27-05, 07:39 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Fantastic P8!!!

Believe me, you will be resetting your goals sometime in 2006 as 2500 miles on that bike will come in a hurry!! As you have already seen on your 20 mile ride, even much longer rides will seem like nothing on the carbon frame and fork.

Did you stay with the standard 53/39 front chain rings or have them change it to a compact crank by chance? Either way you'll be zipping right up Pilot Mt, Sauratown and Hanging Rock!!

Thanks for the pics and keep us posted on the ride!
Old 12-27-05, 08:35 AM

Bikes: Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your new 5200 is one sharp looking bike. I noticed the fork is straight without any rake at all. Did you find the steering to be more sensitive than with your P8?
Old 12-27-05, 11:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all of you. As many here have expressed and experienced one of the reasons I enjoy the riding so much is that I have a group like this to share it with, even though I don't have a place for pie!

jppe - I kept the stock 52/39 chainrings as my p8 had a 52/42 so coupling the 39 ring with the additional gears on the cassette I feel I will be okay.

oldcrank - You are correct, the fork is much straighter. It does not seem to make the bike all that much more sensitive or perhaps it is but I also chalk it up to the fact it is so lightweight. The forks of current bikes all seem built much straighter. That is the one area of current design I am disappointed with. I always loved the graceful curve of the steel bikes particularly the p8. Overall the 5200 is 3" shorter hub to hub than the p8 with a top tube 1 1/2" shorter. Yet the fit as I mentioned above feels great. I have attached a photo of the p8 at the end so some may see the fork difference.

FarHorizon, Yeah the cranks really are nice. It has just the bling that make the OCP's in the road forum go wild.

pastorbobnlnh and TaosWoman - Thanks for your comments.
May we all enjoy riding through '06 together!
But Taos you need to get out onto the slopes for now.
Attached Images
007_18a.jpg (66.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-27-05, 12:35 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, but did you pay $20 for it?

Old 12-27-05, 04:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gary - It was better than that. It was a Christmas gift from my wife!
Of course just walking out of the LBS with it I had to add a couple of tubes and some paddles, plus one other little gee-gaw for a total of about $25.00
Now of course I need to go back and get the standing bike rack etc. There is no such thing as free!
Old 12-27-05, 04:15 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by p8rider
Gary - It was better than that. It was a Christmas gift from my wife!
Of course just walking out of the LBS with it I had to add a couple of tubes and some paddles, plus one other little gee-gaw for a total of about $25.00
Now of course I need to go back and get the standing bike rack etc. There is no such thing as free!
I hear you. I shouldn't be allowed in bike stores or book stores -- I need a 12 step program. You have a terrific wife -- what a Christmas gift! and you're going to have soooo much fun out there.

Keep us posted on the shakedown voyages.

Old 12-27-05, 06:48 PM

Bikes: Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just revisted. I like how your gear cluster teeth are close stepped for several gears, then spreads out for the rest. Something for every type of riding and situation. Clever gearing.

The Ultegra components are sharp -- the RD is beautiful in it's sleek design. That crankset is really something too -- although the chainrings seem to be a little fragile (or maybe they just "look" that way). I feel as though I'd be bending and twisting them when out of the saddle uphill (or maybe I'm just giving myself a little too much credit in the strength department).
Old 12-28-05, 06:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by p8rider
May we all enjoy riding through '06 together!
But Taos you need to get out onto the slopes for now.
Tell me about it! Can you believe it was sunny & warm this past week? Doesn't help the mountain conditions any at all. Still very little snow up there. This week we are entertaining out of town guests but next week it's back to the LifeCycle at the gym.

I was tempted by the big SALE sign at the LBS yesterday but....resisted so far. I love my bike, I love my bike, I love my bike....it's working....