Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tempting Fate

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tempting Fate

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-05, 04:27 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tempting Fate

With one ride to go tomorrow (around Mission Bay, weather permitting), I have had but one flat in 2005. I have hesitated in posting this until now. Of course, I've knocked on wood and my fingers are crossed, but that goes without saying.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-30-05, 04:47 PM

Bikes: Canyon Alu

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me they always came as twins this year. I had one during rain, 60 miles from home. The next one was 5 miles later. I was lucky to have always two replacement tubes.
marmotte
Old 12-30-05, 06:35 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Had a similar situation and it was down to quality of tyre. The tandem is heavy and front and rear tyres are pumped to 60psi to stop Snakebite punctures. Bought some new tyres so off came my old faithful Panaracer Fire XC's These have a sidewall that is supposed to stop snakebites. We chased down a couple of solos, and caught them at the top of a hill. They did not give way to us when we went to overtake them so took the alternative path that had a few rocks in it. The rear tyre hit one and down it went. Fixed it got going again and decided to catch them again so pushed on. Fast downhill- hit another rock and another snakebite. We carry 3 tubes by the way. No more punctures that night but next trip out had the front blowout at 35mph and within yards we were down. That smarted a bit- especially as it shredded the tyre and we had to limp down to the nearest pub and await recovery.
Since then have gone back to the Panaracers and no more punctures, but the ground is a bit softer now, with all the rain, or perhaps we are not going as fast due to being a bit cautious.

Tyre design plays a lot in puncture resistance when off road, but I am glad that punctures don't come in 3's. They wear holes in my wallet with the new tubes I have to keep buying. Luckily most of my punctures show themselves the day after a ride, when I have a flat in the garage.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-30-05, 06:45 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by marmotte
For me they always came as twins this year. I had one during rain, 60 miles from home. The next one was 5 miles later. I was lucky to have always two replacement tubes.
marmotte
Yep, I carry three tubes this time of year due to the condition of the roads. I've been on club rides where we've exhausted every available tube due to wet roads and cinders. Right now, I'm averaging about one flat every 90 miles.

Old 12-30-05, 06:49 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
With one ride to go tomorrow (around Mission Bay, weather permitting), I have had but one flat in 2005. I have hesitated in posting this until now. Of course, I've knocked on wood and my fingers are crossed, but that goes without saying.
Tomorrow's forecast: chance of rain later in the afternoon.
Old 12-30-05, 07:50 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hadn't had a flat on my main bike since March, then had two this month. The last one ended today's ride, the last ride of the year..........sheesh. I was only 3 miles from home, but dark was approaching fast and I knew my wife was at home, so I weenied out and made the sag phone call.
Old 12-30-05, 08:47 PM
not the jam

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy and many others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had 3 flats this year. All 3 happened so close to home that I just walked the bike home and changed the tube in my garage.
Old 12-30-05, 09:11 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Tomorrow's forecast: chance of rain later in the afternoon.
Ugh. Guess I better get started early. I've heard we're in for a deluge on New Year's Day.

By the way, the only flat I had this year was kind enough to happen overnight at home, to be discovered the next day in the comfort of my apartment. If you have to have a flat, that's the kind to have!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-31-05, 01:03 PM
SeaLevel

Bikes: 2006 Trek 7.7 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course, I've knocked on wood and my fingers are crossed, but that goes without saying.
I wish I had known to knock on wood and cross my fingers before reading your post. I just had the first flat on my new bike on this morning's ride...
Old 12-31-05, 02:43 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
My flats come from (in order of magniture of most to least):

1-Tubes failing around the valve stem
2-Snakebites-inadequate air pressure or hitting bad stuff I didn't see
3-Base of spoke nipples-replaced wheel tape after consecutive flats on both the front and the back and that fixed it!
4-Road debris
Old 12-31-05, 09:15 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been lucky since I got serious about seven months ago. No flats in 700 miles of mostly metro riding. However, I haven't gotten much smarter: When I replaced the original tyres on one of my my 3-speeds, I pinched the tube and ... well, I guess that has to count!