Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How NOT to make a good first impression

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-06, 05:58 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I signed up for BikeJournal.com today. to keep track of my mileage and rides this year. I'm dutifully filling out my profile, when I make a mistake of putting last year's mileage into the box that's intended for this year's mileage not logged in. (In other words, if you join during the year, you can enter the miles you already have for the current year, which will then be added to your new totals every time you log a ride.)

Well, once entered, there's no way to correct the problem except with an email to the admin, which I've sent. Meantime, I'm now showing up as the person with the MOST mileage in 2006 -- a total of 1,370 after one day of riding.

Of course, I went on the forum and introduced myself and asked how to correct the problem, but in the meantime, my little bonehead error has become fodder for several posters, who want to know how I managed to ride at an average speed of 54 mph for 24 hours.

I feel like I strolled into a ballroom of 1,000 people and didn't realize I had left my pants at home.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-01-06, 06:04 PM
Lets Ride

Bikes: Trek 1200, Lemond Sarthe, Gary Fisher Tass

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
So I signed up for BikeJournal.com today. to keep track of my mileage and rides this year. I'm dutifully filling out my profile, when I make a mistake of putting last year's mileage into the box that's intended for this year's mileage not logged in. (In other words, if you join during the year, you can enter the miles you already have for the current year, which will then be added to your new totals every time you log a ride.)

Well, once entered, there's no way to correct the problem except with an email to the admin, which I've sent. Meantime, I'm now showing up as the person with the MOST mileage in 2006 -- a total of 1,370 after one day of riding.

Of course, I went on the forum and introduced myself and asked how to correct the problem, but in the meantime, my little bonehead error has become fodder for several posters, who want to know how I managed to ride at an average speed of 54 mph for 24 hours.

I feel like I strolled into a ballroom of 1,000 people and didn't realize I had left my pants at home.
DG, that will be your best ride all year.
Old 01-01-06, 06:05 PM

Bikes: Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Tell 'em you stayed in 53-11, and had an incredible tailwind for the entire 1,370 miles!

Funny story Gary!
Old 01-01-06, 06:10 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I had seen that you had posted 1370 miles for today and chuckled a little bit. It's no worse than having spinach in your teeth at the annual ball. You'll be old news in a day or two!

Old 01-01-06, 07:05 PM
Old Woman on a Catrike

Bikes: Catrike 5.5.9., Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ho ho... Gary!
I also saw that entry and had a small laugh... you know the saying, 'there but for the grace of God go I'. In any case, take pride in being number 1 for a little while. I was number 25 very early this morning and promptly got bounced WAY down the list!!! Got a chance to ride with Mario today, who logged over 18,000 miles. He's the person who originally told me about BikeJournal.com. I'd see him riding and made a comment about how the nice blue and orange jersey would complement my bike (aspiring OCP here ;-}). Anyway, I look forward to watching you accumulate your 2006 miles!
Old 01-01-06, 07:09 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gary who? Honest, I'm not with him, just happen to be standing here, don't know him at all...
Old 01-01-06, 07:23 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Gary - they have a pretty good chat session in the evenings, something I regularly join.

You can get to it through MIRC or simple directly through the board wher it indicates to join the chat.

We used to have a chat function here at BikeForums, but it was disabled at some time for some reason I don't remember.

And I logged 12 miles in today. Should have made that 1200!
Old 01-01-06, 07:33 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gary,
I knew all along you could do it! Put us all to shame this morning. I recall you rode 11 loops that time you completed your metric. Let's see, I'll go compute how many loops for this latest ride.

P.S. Did you stop for a burger this time?

DeeGee......you are indeed special.
Old 01-01-06, 07:44 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Are you sure you just don't want me to send you the excel spreadsheets I've developed where you can just fill in the blanks and not worry about Gary-isms for the whole world to admire?? They have pretty bar graphs, line graphs and data galore!!

That reminds me. I need to go in a create columns for 2006 so I can start logging miles!!
Old 01-01-06, 08:03 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Well, I'm game for anything new especially with numbers and data so I signed on as well. I'm in the 28th spot with the 69.5 miles from today but will drop very quickly as others put their miles in.

Gary-looks like someone knocked you out of the top spot already as they have a lot more miles than you already. Must have been a bicycle with a jet engine on it.
Old 01-01-06, 08:06 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL, I wonder about some of those mileage claims on BikeJournal. I calculated that some of those guys would have to ride at least 75 miles every day to get some of the mileages they claim. I guess It is entirely possible that there are riders who do a 75 mile ride everyday. I rode 14 miles today, I usually do a century on NewYears
Old 01-01-06, 08:09 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by velonomad
LOL, I wonder about some of those mileage claims on BikeJournal. I calculated that some of those guys would have to ride at least 75 miles every day to get some of the mileages they claim. I guess It is entirely possible that there are riders who do a 75 mile ride everyday.
It really is sort of amazing.

I think the top guy came in at something like 28,000 miles this last year.

In any event, that is a lot of tires, tubes and chains.

I don't think I would ever have a desire (or the capacity) to ride that much. And, my wife might object a bit.

Seems to me that most of the top riders live in warmer climates.
Old 01-01-06, 08:17 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think how I figured out how you can claim 1370 miles in a day rocket recumbent
Old 01-01-06, 11:11 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the error got corrected, and I fell from first place to 543rd. Ouch!

But all's well that ends well. And I'll sleep well tonight, knowing I've already completed 0.00333% of my annual goal, in only 0.0027% of the time available.

jppe -- you have a PM, by the way. I want those excel spreadsheets!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay