Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Bummer - Strep Throat (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/163754-bummer-strep-throat.html)

Red Baron 01-02-06 09:29 PM

Bummer - Strep Throat

Did a ride Friday - cold here in KY (read your post Dn'vr) 35 degrees with a strong wind. Did 16 miles and exeeded my goal of 2500 @ 2800.
But friday evening throat felt strange, saturday even stranger, woke up sunday couldn't hardly swallow - neck glands (tonsels) swollen like crazy. Went in to a open clinic and they confirmed Strep Throat. I wanted to ride today so bad, It was warm (about 60) but Dr said No till swelling soes down (I told Dr I was going to ask for a second opinion - she didn't crack a smile). What a bummer to start 2006. :mad: :mad: :mad:

FarHorizon 01-02-06 09:46 PM

My treatment for throat infections is as follows:

1. Gargle with 1% hydrogen peroxide solution (straight from bottle). This sterilizes the upper throat area.

2. Put a heating pad on high, and apply said pad to throat/upper-chest area for two hours. This is equivalent to having a VERY high fever, but in a localized area.

3. Finish with a final H2O2 gargle again.

In my experience, this seems to knock out 90% of bacterial infections without having to result to systemic antibiotics.

Even if it doesn't work every time, it can't hurt!

oldcrank 01-02-06 11:38 PM

Take care and hope you're feeling well soon. Horrible and painful infection.

GrannyGear 01-03-06 01:00 AM

Strep! I'd rather spit than swallow. My sympathy for sure. Hope it disappears fast.

Travelinguyrt 01-03-06 02:13 AM

Strep throat infections are nothing to ignore, mine almost killed me,12 days in hospital, 3 dyalisis treatments. Jim Henson, the puppeteer died of complications with his

Red Baron 01-14-06 07:06 AM

Dang ! Had it cleared up, but throat sore yesterday morning - went back - Yep got it again. Same Dr. Asked me if I was I had ache's- I said Yep- legs slightly stiff but hard to tell if due to this, as I did 37 miles yesterday- going real good till I broke a spoke. 120 miles between visits. Dr said 3rd case of a 'repeat patient' and took a culture - might be a tougher strain of strep stuff.

jppe 01-14-06 08:55 AM

Really sorry to hear that news. Sounds like it might be prudent to make sure it's really healed up this time. That has to really be frustrating.

Raketmensch 01-14-06 03:36 PM

Really, really sorry to hear that. That's gotta be one of the most frustrating things about cycling or any kind of fitness activity you really grow to enjoy... you're doing well, feeling great, and then whammo, you get hurt or sick and have to stop for awhile.

Only bit of advice I'll give is that you not do what I always seem to do... get back on the bike before you're well and truly over it. I tend to get back on the minute I'm feeling decent again, make whatever was wrong flare up again, and in the long run spend more time off the bike than I would if I'd just been sensible about it. Take the time to get well.