Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Can the Weather forecast be trusted?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-06, 08:12 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Since the last Blackberry Cobbler ride was last weekend, today I had planned to do a 100k that actually uses a lot of the same route as the BC ride. This is an annual "Polar Bear" ride that is an annual fundraiser for one of the local cycling clubs and last year over 500 riders signed up. I had planned to ride 15 miles from the house to the start and then ride back after riding with the group.

Well, the last couple days we have been getting high wind warnings for today. Winds are supposed to be 20-30 mph with gusts > 40 mph. I'm even getting pages from work warning of very high winds-in fact in one county not too far from here they are forecasting 60 mph winds.

My dilema is I'm sitting here and it's just 1 hour until ride time so it's time to make a decision. There is a little breeze (5+) but nothing significant. The weather forecast says it should be blowing around 15 mph arleady but it's not. But, I don't want to get out there on my own and find I'm 40 miles from my house and I have headwinds of 20-30 mph. Not only is it tiring, it can be very dangerous.

I guess I'll take the safe course and sit this one out but will be very irked if the forecasts and warnings across the bottom of the tv set turn out to have missed the mark.

Some of you folks don't seem to mind riding in the wind, but I'm just not sure this might be a little much.
Old 01-14-06, 08:19 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Why not do some "close-in" "solo" shorter rides, all within a safe distance from your home. Perhaps exploring for another Cobbler place? That way, if things get bad, you can scoot home easily. At least, that is what I do when concerned about weather and distance from home.

You can still send your money or collect pledges for your charity.
Old 01-14-06, 03:57 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hope the weather report is right for me tomorrow-sun and temp of 45f. Won,t make any difference though as we'll be out on the Mud trails in the forest so rain would be a godsend to wash the bike off a bit. If warm enough we might even have breakfast outside instead of in front of the Log fire in the cafe.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-14-06, 04:01 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you call anyone or perhaps a business that's in the area you'd be riding and get a "personal" weather report?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-14-06, 04:38 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Can you call anyone or perhaps a business that's in the area you'd be riding and get a "personal" weather report?

That's a good suggestion.

I made the decision not to do the ride and it was probably for the best. What would have been about the 1/2 way point, the winds really picked up and gusted 30-35 mph. I have not talked with anyone who did the ride but I'm sure it was pretty hard work just getting back to the start.

In addition, I wound up doing a conf call this morning with others I work with to talk about problems the winds might cause for my company. Tomorrow is supposed to be a better day so if I can just figure how to get out of a ski trip to the NC mountains I can get in a few miles over the weekend.