Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

just had major back surgery...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

just had major back surgery...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Tim! You're a good man. I need to dream and fabricate a vision of where I am going. It will get me through my re-hab with a vengeance instead of impatience and mystery, and misery. It's just the way I roll. Always looking for a challenge to conquer, no different than anyone else here, it's just that I'm laid up for the first time in my life, and I'm thankful for that(that it took this long).

I'm sure I'll have more to ask-nothing else to do. see ya' for now-my son needs his laptop!

Dan
Old 01-18-06, 12:27 AM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acateam
Steve- the base sequoia suits the budget,first bike, and one for my wife too. comfort for the back, and can still get going - agree?
Yep! Linda and I chose them as our introduction to drop-bar road bikes. If we hadn't have upgraded to our current bikes, we'd still have the Sequoias. I really can't think of anything that we didn't like about them.

Steve
Old 01-18-06, 03:09 AM

Bikes: Giant OCR1, 2 mountain bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tlc20010
No, no, no. I don't run any more and I love to cycle, but a century is nowhere near a marathon. Consider, the TdF was 22 stages in 24 days--the vast majority of them were more than 100 miles at very competitive paces. There is no runner in the world who could run a competitive marathon a day for three weeks. The marathon is much more grueling. I don't want to take anything away from doing a century or even a metric (I certainly love to brag whenever I manage those distances), but physically, they are nowhere near the feat that a marathon is. It may well be that the psychic satisfaction and the mental challenge may be similar, but physically, there is little comparison. IMHO.
I think this is all relative and depends on how you approach the various tasks.

A runner will always stress the body more because of the constant impact on the ground - and that punishment will never be matched on a bike (thankfully). The heart, lungs and muscles (and mind) are a different story. If you set yourself a goal to ride a century in, say, 4 hours then that would be way beyond the average (or even above average) cyclist.

It's not time or distance - it's the combination of the two (intensity) which matters. Take a 1500 metre swimmer. Much like a marathoner they can only do a really competitive race every few weeks - that's why heat times are so slow. Yet they only swim for 15 minutes. It's the intensity over the distance that matters.

Having said all that, I have great respect for marathoners. A top marathoner averages nearly 20 kph and I'm sure there's a large group of cyclists who can't average that.

//k