Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bummed, And I Should Know Better

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bummed, And I Should Know Better

Old 01-17-06, 12:00 PM
jazzy_cyclist

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Everyone keeps on about a wicking layer and how good it is and where you can buy it---BUT no-one has said the obvious. Cycling tops !!!! Excepting the cheap ones- these are made of the right material- Do work- and come in a variety of sizes. On top of that, they are comfortable.
I totally agree, although I admit that a few years ago I would snicker when I drove by one of those funny-dressed cyclists with loud jerseys and spandex shorts -- but now I've become one! When it's cool, I also like the under-armor stuff under a jersey and a light windbreaker over.
Old 01-17-06, 12:15 PM
hawkijohn

Bikes: 06 Bacchetta Giro 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrannyGear
Man, DG, ya gotta rent "American Flyers" where Kevin Costner made his more or less film debut. About this guy who cracks in a race but there's a brain aneurism thing in his family and then he and his reluctant little brother decide to battle back toward victory in the Hell of the North race. Whoa, dude. Won't spoil the ending but its bittersweet happy sort of. Also hokey and unreal, but good for a bachelor at home evening. Inspirational a little. No "Breaking Away" which is a truly gotta see cycling movie, but Flyers will do as an "I cracked" movie. Besides, you can watch Rae Dawn Chong and dream.............................

New to cycling and more callow in those days, I ran out and bought a Specialized Allez just like Kevin's in the flick. But my career didn't take off like his. Go rent 'em both for a cycling double feature. And DG, lighten up dude.
I wanted to watch both of those movies just recently and had trouble finding them so I ordered both from Amazon and watched them just last weekend. They're both written by Steve Tehsich. Watching either one makes you want to get out and pedal. Breaking away really is a classic and won an Oscar. Both (especially Flyers) has great bike race scenes. I'm still a sucker for a "feel good" movie!
Old 01-17-06, 12:18 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TaosWoman
Gary, I think it's time for a long walk on the beach.
...and then a cold beer.
Old 01-17-06, 03:27 PM
tlc20010
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcm
...and then a cold beer.
And pie....what about the pie?
Old 01-17-06, 03:27 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
I want to sympathize with you as I've been there......but I also need to fuss a little as well so take it for what it is worth.

You did exactly the right thing by stopping when it quit being fun. Many of us have been there and pushing yourself too far is the quickest way to leading to diminishing the enjoyment on the bike. Good job!!

On the other hand what were you thinking??? Doing that many laps on a loop course is second only to sitting on a trainer with a jet engine blasting air at you for 1/2 the time. Any of us would hear voices in our head-except for PastorBob and he has super-human mental concentration.

Here are some tips from experience that are really meant as help:
If you do not have a good "loop route", simply ride out 31 miles and then turn around come back. It will pass the time much faster with the changing scenery-plus you will not have any option but to pedal back. It's amazing the effort you can make when you limit your choices!!!

Avoid putting your cylcometer on distance-put it on time, or average speed or something else and just ride. The miles will go by much faster that way. (Ever watch your "distance" going up a 2 mile 11% grade? The darn thing doesn't even seem to move!!)

Break the ride down into smaller rides-ride "point to point". Select a point on your route as your next destination point and celebrate when you reach that mile mark or point. Reward yourself!!

Get some wicking clothing next to your skin. Several posters have already mentioned it but you'll be much more comfortable with those fabrics taking the moisture off your skin and will avoid feeling chilled. I've bought some long sleeve shirts from Kmart and Target that I can use as base layers for under $15.......

Man, I've been at that point more times than I can tell you. Unfortunately it usually is at the 80 mile mark of a 100 mile ride and the closest way back is to finish the last 20 miles........ or going up a steep climb when this fellow is ready to get off the bike and toss it over the side of the mountain. But when you get to the top the attitude quickly changes to Good Job JPPE (yes-we all talk to ourselves)!! you beat that hill this time!!

You're experience was very normal. Salute yourself for the miles you did and keep pedaling!!
Old 01-17-06, 03:49 PM
dagna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, good on ya to see the glass was half full.

Now, about those loops...it's the 90 percent mental thing. If you gotta do them, don't count up, count down. And add the magic 'only'.

- Only 10 more laps to go.
- Only 9 more laps to go.
- Only 3 more laps to go.

Sounds silly, but it works. I once had to to a lot of running training for a marathon on a one mile loop, and that was the only way it didn't seem impossible.

By the way, I always find the last lap is so much easier doing it this way...'one' seems so do-able compared to 'ten' or 'fifteen'--it makes the last lap seem like a done deal.

Good luck,
Dagna
Old 01-17-06, 03:52 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll never made a good cyclist if your intent is to make each ride a challenge.

There's nothing wrong with cutting any ride short if you don't feel like it. Giving yoruself hell for "failure" is about the same as giving someone else hell for the same thing.