Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

SEVEN GOATHEADS in one+ day

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

SEVEN GOATHEADS in one+ day

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 12:31 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Yesterday I rode the road bike back on the cement path from the LBS,
2.2 miles away. On the way back I picked up two goatheads by the
underpass, but was able to get them out with no leaks.

Today I rode it back for a minor adjustment, and picked up three, one
of which started a leak. I had the LBS put a puncture tube in the
affected tire, and started home.

On the way back I decided to carry the bike through the underpass.
Just as I emerged on the other side and I rolled the bike about 1 wheel circumference, and before I could mount the bike, I got two more, and limped back home.

As I have had folks in the past claim that goatheads NEVER get in the sidewall of a tire, I snapped a
(blurry) pic with my cell phone camera.

I am now going to install a puncture tube in the other tire! I guess
it is the extreme dryness and continuous high winds that is causing
this! Sort of ruins a ride.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-27-06 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-27-06, 01:29 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
We have Hawthorn and does cause a problem. Normally they are straight in and out accompanied with the hissing sound. Sometimes they break of in the tyre- punturing the tube and staying in. Then there are the Bu**ars that break the point off after puncturing the tube. You have a puncture, check the tube and find nothing, put it all back together only for the tube to go down 200yards later. Check the tyre again, can't find anything so must have been a pre-punctured tube you forgot to repair. In goes the second tube and 200 yards later another flat. That is the time to take the tyre off- turn it inside out and really check. Guaranty there is a tiny bit of the thorn just poking through.

I now use Latex tubes whenever I can get them. They semi seal around the thorn and you find the flat the next day. Have to use a Thick Latex version, but it does help for me though.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-28-06, 09:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better in the tires than in the feet. Our dog has a special talent for finding them and leaving them in the house where we can find them. Ouch!
Old 01-28-06, 10:43 AM

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
. . .I picked up two goatheads . . . and picked up three, . . .I got two more, and limped back home.
Mebbe you need to get some of those weevils that prey on goathead seeds (the goatheads are the seeds). You could be the Johnny Goathead-seed of the Denver area.

Then, when you are done, you can come down here and Johnny-Goathead-seed-elize all the alleys and trails around here. . .

If yer really rambunctious you could get a group of trail riders together in the spring when all the goatheads sprout and pull them up from the trails and near the trails. The seedlings are pretty easy to see when they have a compound leaf or two. Or you can pull them up a little later in the season, but you will have to make sure you bring trash cans for all the vines with their seeds; bring heavy gloves too 'cus the little ba****ds sure hurt when you get them in your thumbs!

As I have had folks in the past claim that goatheads NEVER get in the sidewall of a tire, I snapped a
(blurry) pic with my cell phone camera.
Jeeze, that aint in the side wall; it's in the side of the tread!

I am now going to install a puncture tube in the other tire!
I suggest puncture tubes AND Mr. Tuffys. . .belt AND suspenders. I hate flats.

I guess it is the extreme dryness and continuous high winds that is causing
this! Sort of ruins a ride.

No, it's not the weather, it's the seeds. The route you took must be lined with more then a few goathead plants. Low growing and flat they can be easy to miss, especially if the areas along the paths are mowed to keep weeds down. Sometimes though in our area, seemingly vast areas are being covered with goathead plants due to the increase in mowing to keep dust down and weeds down when before the weeds were kept down with discing. Mowing does nothing to control the goatheads and it actually encouages their growth because the plants are allowed to grow in undisturbed soil.

Man, I feel for you. . .goatheads really suck... Just be thankful that they were in your tires and not your bare feet!
Old 01-28-06, 10:11 PM
Dave

Bikes: Nashbar X-Cross 29r wheels front disc brake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank goodness that South Florida hasn't been infested with those goat heads yet. Walking catfish are enough competition for the alligators.
Old 01-28-06, 10:43 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
You have my deepest sympathy DenverFox, when I lived there I would get them in the sidewall, tread, shoes, everywhere. I really don't miss them, none here in Western Oregon.
Old 01-28-06, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hmmmm, it sounds like on your rides, the "Sweep" rides in the front.
Old 01-29-06, 12:50 AM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aaargh -- I hate goatheads. EVERY flat I got last year was from a goathead. I've been using Panaracer T-Serv's which have a thick center tread, but I still got punctures through the sidewall. The only silver lining was that I'd pick up one or two on a ride and as long as I didn't pull them out I could get home with air still in my tires.
Old 01-30-06, 11:58 AM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ugh, look where you're riding.

These are worst than glass, be very questioning of any low, flat, brown ground cover. It's probably NOT grass.

The lack of fun factor is precisely why I switched to marathon tires. I try to ride more on the most heavily traveled part of the surface also to reduce frequency of surprises.
Old 01-30-06, 02:40 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
Ugh, look where you're riding.

These are worst than glass, be very questioning of any low, flat, brown ground cover. It's probably NOT grass.

The lack of fun factor is precisely why I switched to marathon tires. I try to ride more on the most heavily traveled part of the surface also to reduce frequency of surprises.
Put your glasses on, HIYoSilver. Thatr is cement! You know, that hard stuff poured out of trucks.
Old 01-30-06, 04:05 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hate the little buggers. Actually vacuumed my yard last week. Dog keeps getting 'em in his feet.