Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Off to a good start (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/170020-off-good-start.html)

Digital Gee 01-29-06 05:30 PM

Off to a good start

Despite my occasional complaints about slumping and not finishing a long ride, I'm very happy with how my January has turned out. I can't ride the rest of the month (travel) so today was it. Went for 16 miles quite specifically, to reach a little mini-goal.

This month, I...

...got in 25 rides (counting even the little ones to the gym and coffee shop)

...rode 310 miles (that's why 16 today -- to make it average 10.0 per day)

...spent 27 hours in the saddle (that's shocking to me -- pleasantly shocking)

...averaged 11.4 mph, which ain't bad, considering how much time I spend on bike paths with pedestrians

...had the pleasure of riding my new vintage restored old Univega single speed

...solved the storage problem for my two bikes with a neat rack off out of the way in the dining room

All in all, a great start to the year. I'm pumped!

jcm 01-29-06 06:30 PM

Excellent start, Gary. I pretty much did the same thing my first couple of months. Then, I began to change things on the bike. Opened up alot of new miles for me. I've lost close to 40 lbs. I ride 80 to 100 miles a week. Just got a Trek 520 and I'm riding that to Portland, OR. this summer on the Seattle to Portland thing. Hopefully, I'll be down to 210 by then. Totally hooked and learning fast!

John in Everett, WA.

DnvrFox 01-29-06 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Despite my occasional complaints about slumping and not finishing a long ride, I'm very happy with how my January has turned out. I can't ride the rest of the month (travel) so today was it. Went for 16 miles quite specifically, to reach a little mini-goal.

This month, I...

...averaged 11.4 mph, which ain't bad, considering how much time I spend on bike paths with pedestrians

...had the pleasure of riding my new vintage restored old Univega single speed

...solved the storage problem for my two bikes with a neat rack off out of the way in the dining room

All in all, a great start to the year. I'm pumped!

Good for you! That is a great start. Sounds like you should meet your annual mileage goal.

I got in 444 miles (that includes my indoor mileage at 16 miles/hr credit I give myself for indoor training). I had 34 different riding "events" - bicycling, or trainer or stationary bike or whatever!

I have been stuck indoors because the doc wants me to stay out of the sun for 4 weeks while we treat my Actinic Keratosis - my face is beet red right now, and the high and intense winds we have been having. But, it looks like I am on the way to my indoor/outdoor mileage goal of 4,250 miles.

Hey, I still have a couple of days left in January!

DG - keep up the good work.

Raketmensch 01-29-06 07:58 PM

Congrats! That's some very nice mileage.

I'm behind on the month, I'm afraid... only 250 miles so far in January, with big chunks taken out of my riding time by travel. In fact, I've only been able to ride 13 of the 29 days so far this month. But I got in 50+ miles this weekend, so that's progress.

I haven't decided yet whether or not to try setting an actual mileage goal for the year. The problem is twofold... I'm not sure what goal to set, and I'm also not sure when to start the year... in January, with the start of the calendar year, or back on September 15, which is when I resolved to clean up my act and start exercising again. But it's clear that having a mileage goal really works for you, and I'll take that as inspiration to come up with a number. Keep up the good work!

jppe 01-29-06 08:16 PM

You folks are doing terrific! What a great start to the year!

I'm hoping to get in 20-30 miles on our Tuesday night ride to push my total up a little more. If I can do, that I'll have over 600 miles that included 2 Centuries and 1 metric century. That's close to twice the number of miles I've ever had in January. We've been extremely fortunate in NC that we could ride on either a Saturday or Sunday every weekend this month. While I've done some longer rides this month, the thing that has really boosted my mileage is doing the Tuesday night rides each week. As Gary has pointed out, the frequent but shorter rides can really add up.

KeithA 01-29-06 09:30 PM

Good for all of you. Due to my goals and my obsessive-compulsivity about certain things, I've really pushed it this month - more than ever before. I want to get off to a real good start, then be able to cruise more casually toward the year-end goal I set up for myself.

I'm also counting my spinner miles as part of my total, as indoor cycling allows me to do it on days when I don't want to face the weather outdoors.

tedward 01-30-06 05:53 PM

January in New Zealand is high summer. Easy to get easy miles in. Need to avoid the Ozone Hole of course. Ideal season for early morning / evening rides. Twice a day is just the ticket. Ambling about during the month has produced 1250 miles and 34,000ft of climbs. What more could one wish? Possibly better road surfaces and less broken glass but that's being a bit picky. Glad to be alive and still able to enjoy it.

Tedward

Bud Bent 01-30-06 07:56 PM

Congrats, y'all. I'm behind. With my 5000 mile goal, I need just over 400 miles per month, and I rode 339 in January. I hope the weather stays mild in February...

jppe 01-30-06 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by tedward
January in New Zealand is high summer. Easy to get easy miles in. Need to avoid the Ozone Hole of course. Ideal season for early morning / evening rides. Twice a day is just the ticket. Ambling about during the month has produced 1250 miles and 34,000ft of climbs. What more could one wish? Possibly better road surfaces and less broken glass but that's being a bit picky. Glad to be alive and still able to enjoy it.

Tedward

We need some pics of some of your views you have on your rides!! At 1250 miles and 34k feet of climbing you have got to have some very beautiful scenery you can share with us!!

p8rider 02-01-06 06:38 PM

Great start DG. I am away travelling from home so I believe I topped out at approx 135 for Jan. I get home this weekend and hope to get in at least one decent ride.

tlc20010 02-01-06 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee

Way to go Gary! Your report got me to add up my own to see how I was doing. 25 rides for a non-commuter is very impressive (I only managed 19). I like the idea of doing 16 miles on the final day to make an average. I got 501 in this month bolstered mainly by riding my birthday last Monday (64) and by the amazing weather we have had. I gripe about the wind, but usually in January, the weather and road conditions prevent any distance riding at all. Keep it up...you are an inspiration to us all.

Tim

tom cotter 02-03-06 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by jcm
Just got a Trek 520 and I'm riding that to Portland, OR. this summer on the Seattle to Portland thing.

John in Everett, WA.

The 520 is a great bike for touring, as well as general riding. Congratulations on picking an excellent all around ride!

jazzy_cyclist 02-03-06 11:38 AM

Man, I am envious. Between the dark, ice, snow, cold and (worst of all) sand on the roads here, I haven't ridden outside since November 21.

KeithA 02-03-06 12:10 PM

Wow, makes me feel lucky to live in my part of Northern California. It's had its rain and cold weather, but that's transitory and we usually can get out there and ride.