Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Energy Gel / What To Do w/ Wrapper while Riding? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/174184-energy-gel-what-do-w-wrapper-while-riding.html)

dbmcclus 02-15-06 06:09 PM

Energy Gel / What To Do w/ Wrapper while Riding?

Today, I was riding and for the first time, I used an energy gel. It was stored in one of my jersey pockets. I ate it "on-the-fly". What to do with the wrapper? I do not want to just reach back and put it in a jersey pocket, for fear of some remaining may leak out into my jersey. Of course, I would never just toss it. What do you do?

One rider told me he carries a spare water bottle on the second cage, but uses it for trash, no water. This sounds like a good idea, but sometimes, I like to carry both water bottles, filled with water for longer rides.

I guess I could pull over and maybe stuff it into a plastic bag, but what if you do not want to stop?

Thanks.

Thrifty1 02-15-06 06:25 PM

I fold it then tuck it between the rear brake cable and top tube.....the cable has suficient tension to hold it and it does does not (hasn't) interfered with rear brake function. I wipe minimal if any residue from the top tube when I stop and discard the wrapper.

sch 02-15-06 06:34 PM

Look around for a dog, offer it to the dog, dog will be pleased to take it especially if you leave a tidbit in the package. Look around for some cleaner trash, pick up twice as much and leave the messy trash. Donate to the nearest fire ant mound.
Steve

sch 02-15-06 06:36 PM

Carry a trash baggy with you. Don't even consider using gels in the future, way too messy.
Steve

serotta 02-15-06 07:53 PM

Stick it in one of your back pockets, the gel will easily wash out in the laundry.

GrannyGear 02-15-06 08:21 PM

I stick it back in jersey pocket. Generally I suck and scrape the little packet pretty clean, but, in any event, haven't had problems with stains either wool or poly. No big deal....beats the old days of carrying a banana and its bulkier peel.

jppe 02-15-06 09:59 PM

Like others I stick the wrapper in one of my back jersey pockets.

When doing some tougher century rides later in the season, I will use the small plastic bottle designed for gels. You can put 4-5 gels in the bottle pre-ride and just eat the amount you'd like to while riding. It has a top valve much like that of a water bottle that you can pull out with your mouth. Since the gel is not very fluid and settles I usually try and carry it upside down in my jersey pocket so it dispenses more easily.

TaosWoman 02-16-06 06:31 AM

great tip I'm gonna look for those little bottles

berts 02-16-06 11:49 AM

Energy gel wrappers out (used to put in my back pocket), they were really messy - now I use plastic bottles food flavor extracts (such as vanilla, almond, rum) come in. They have a handy snap up and shut tight lid and they are easily washed and refilled. If you get a big 1 liter refill bottle of gel such as Hammergel it is often sold with a "free" small plastic feeding bottle (it is also more economical to buy the big quantity and not the small packets). I personally make my own honey and pomegranate concentrate mix and on long rides take a banana or apple.

rule 02-16-06 12:19 PM

Gels in left pocket, empties in right.

stapfam 02-16-06 02:20 PM

I have only ever used a gel once- and I can't remember what happened to the empty container/ wrapper- or couldn't till a funny smell was in the garge about 3 months later- I had put the packaging into my top pannier- that I only use on the long rides, and only discovered it when the smell got too bad and I had to find out what it was.

What is the benefit of gels by the way- the one I had was too sweet, sticky, tasted terrible, and only gave me turbo power about 5 miles later.

I do always carry two in the Tandem bag as The one I tried did work, but we keep as emergency only. Mind you- another year older and perhaps I ought to start using them- if only to keep up with my Co-rider as he keeps leaving me.

BlazingPedals 02-16-06 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam
What is the benefit of gels by the way- the one I had was too sweet, sticky, tasted terrible, and only gave me turbo power about 5 miles later.

Yep, that's about how long it takes to get into your bloodstream - about 20 minutes. Use it for a burst of turbo power, but you have to plan ahead so it hits when you want it to. When I use gel, which isn't all the time, I use a flask; and I use Hammergel which isn't as sweet as some of the others. Actually, it's pretty tasteless. Imagine honey without the sweet; not much else is left.

Keeping one or two packets on the bike sounds like a good idea. I've been stuck out in the middle of nowhere and out of fuel once or twice, it's no fun. In that case, I'd use the pocket file for the empty.

jppe 02-16-06 03:52 PM

"What is the benefit of gels by the way- the one I had was too sweet, sticky, tasted terrible, and only gave me turbo power about 5 miles later."

I use the gels prior to time trials which usually last <25 mins. I also find they are helpful for me on long climbs or longer rides where I need a little boost. My experience is exactly as Blazing describes-I take them about 15 mins before I need them. Before a longer ride I'll look to see what mileage the tough climbs start and injest a gel about 15 mins ahead of that. There have been times when they really picked up my energy level-in fact it surprised me at how much of a difference it made. Other times it might have been just more of a mental boost......

GrannyGear 02-16-06 06:13 PM

Gels are, in fact, gooey and frosty-like--not a ham sandwich at all! But they are a handy, easy to carry alternative to bonking when an impulse to ride the longer loop comes over me or the group. Sometimes also a more quickly digested food alternative when faced with climbing.....where I have enough trouble sucking in enough air let along burping it back out!

RockyMtnMerlin 02-18-06 09:32 AM

Use the little bottles. Much less waste to deal with and the price for the gel drops dramatically when ou buy the large container to fill the small container. The little bottle fits nicely in a back pocket or you can get a little pouch that attaches to your frame. I prefer Hammergel and they have it on sale a couple of times a year. The stuff keeps on the shelf unopened for a LONG time and in the fridge opened several months. I prefer the vanilla flavor. I have been using it for 8-10 years and find it just right for those 90 -120 minute rides.