Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Does anyone out there stealth camp?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Does anyone out there stealth camp?

Old 02-19-06, 08:27 AM

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually hang out in touring, even though I'll be 60 next year. I discovered touring about 10 years ago and it's kept me fit and feeling young. About 2 years ago I started stealth camping. I define stealth camping as camping on unfenced, unimproved and unmarked land without being noticed using the Leave No Trace principles.

Any over 50 interested might like to look at a journal I'm working on.
Old 02-19-06, 10:28 PM
Touring senior

Bikes: Cannondale touring bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Stokell....Yes, I've stealth camped a few times (though I never knew the term for it then). But usually I'm either at a campground, or set up in some farmer's yard (with permission of course). Many times I've been invited to join them for a meal or two, and I thoroughly enjoy getting to know new people. Many of them want to get my semi-regular emails, and keep in touch from their end too. Stealth campings ok, but I do enjoy some cameraderie.

I'll probably be doing a lot more this summer as I complete the Alaska and Dempster highways. You're enthusiasm and the journal on CGOAB have been very encouraging -- Thanks!
Old 02-21-06, 01:05 AM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Best way to camp, when it is possible, not during hunting season though. I camp mostly in the west where the terrain is drier and the forest frequently not as thick. Much of the land is BLM or National Forest, so there are no problems being out there, except ensuring adequate water, and sometime being unable to use a stove due to fire restrictions. I prefer to remain out of sight, and find your discussions and pictures of the Hennessey hammock and stealth camps to be very intriguing - thanks!
Old 02-21-06, 07:54 AM
Old Noob

Location: Mid-MN not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

Bikes: Downtube VIIIFS folder, 2 Strida 3 folders, HP Velotechnik "Grasshopper" and a Burley "Hep Cat"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stokell, You are bookmarked. I hope you continue adding to your journal .... interesting stuff. Oh, and thanks for the tip on the HH, mine should be here in a couple days. Best thing I've seen in tents since ....... well, maybe ever

Rik
Old 02-21-06, 11:55 AM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes. Once on I-15 when I ws riding from Vegas to LA area. Pulled behind some mesquite brush, draped the greenish tarp over the yellow recumbent fairing and sacked out. No light no fire. Years later The Bicycle Club of Irvine was having their annual Palm Springs weekend and I didn't have the $40 for a room. Two nights I just sneaked off into an unbuildable flood plain area and camped. The club had a don't ask, don't tell policy about me. I never was in the economic class of most of the members and none of the other members had crewed in RAAM or done a thousand cycling things most people have not dreamed of. Bill Sellin, you were the exception. But then you couldn't afford to live in Irvine either. And I still have the -$1.00 you charged me for the overnighter into San Diego county.
Old 02-22-06, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My first thought was what people would do with their "waste", but I see that propoenets of stealth camping always bury it deep enough. That hammock is neat. It eliminates the need for the extra ground cloth. I saw a "pocket cooker"stove for sale once, but didn't buy it, and am kicking myself now, since it doesn't require fuel to be carried. I can't find anywhere that it is being sold.

https://www.trekdirect.co.uk/acatalog...okware_53.html
Old 02-22-06, 06:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suppose you could call it stealth camping. I used to peak bag every year in Colorado[climbing 14,000ft peaks]. We would go up to about 10 or 11 thousand and camp the night before reaching the peak in the morning. We packed everything in and we packed everything out. There's just too many people using the back country to bury your "waste". It has to be packed out to preserve nature for future generations. By the way, if you ever get the chance to camp the night in the "Boulder Fields" on the way to the top of Long's Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park, I highly recommend it.
Old 02-22-06, 06:21 PM

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gene James
I suppose you could call it stealth camping. I used to peak bag every year in Colorado[climbing 14,000ft peaks]. We would go up to about 10 or 11 thousand and camp the night before reaching the peak in the morning. We packed everything in and we packed everything out. There's just too many people using the back country to bury your "waste". It has to be packed out to preserve nature for future generations. By the way, if you ever get the chance to camp the night in the "Boulder Fields" on the way to the top of Long's Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park, I highly recommend it.
I think bicycle campers picked that up from backpackers.

Now there appears to be three distinct sub groups. I see what you describe as 'wild camping', in that you are not hiding from anyone or thing. There is also 'gypsy camping', similar to wild camping, but out in the open, usually with permission or squatting on public land. Stealth camping is more 'hiding in plain sight' in that you do camp somewhere close to civilization, but purposefully out of sight.
Old 02-22-06, 06:30 PM
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pretty regularly do stealth camping, just not while bike touring yet.
Old 02-22-06, 07:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've stealth camped extensively while bike touring in Norway, but it's not the issue there that it is some other places. Norway (and also Sweden and Finland, I believe) has a law (or at least a tradition) that anyone can camp on uncultivated land regardless of ownership. This makes it really easy to find a place to hunker down for the night when bike touring in those countries. It's beautiful country for touring, too! We camped extensively in Norway wherever we wanted, and except for one rude awakening by a loud herd of sheep we had no difficulties at all.