Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saluda Ride Report

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Saluda Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-06, 07:14 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Saluda Ride Report

I drove down to Spartanburg, SC and did a nice ride up into the NC Mountains and back. It was a fairly small group but fun folks to ride with. I managed to stay with the front group until the longer route I was doing separated from the 60 mile ride. I waited at the split for others to join us for the longer ride.

The feature of this loop is a 7-8 mile climb around the Greenville Watershed up to Saluda, NC. Nothing too steep but just a lot of uphill. From Saluda there is a nice 6 mile descent into Tryon. We were lucky that there was a nice tailwind the last 40 miles back into Spartanburg.

Unfortunately my brother lagged behind on the climb to Saluda and turned the wrong way in Saluda. I backtracked to try and find him but with no luck. The rest of the group went ahead at that point so I wound up doing the last 40 miles solo.

At the finish I waited for over an hour for my brother and really got worried about him not showing up. Everyone else had already returned, packed up and left. I backtracked in my car and found him up the road a ways. He had made a 20 mile wrong turn.......

Ride stats:
100.25 miles
Averaged 17.3 mph
5500 feet of climbing
50-58 degrees and sunny

Nourishment: 2-24 ounce bottles of fluid, 2 bananas, 6 fig newtons and 2 gels
(Post ride: 2 hamburgers, 1 Hot dog, Potato Salad, Baked Beans and a huge chocolate cupcake......)

See pics below:
The Trusty Bike Moblie (400,000+ miles)-just roll the bike into the back
Pre ride preparation
My brother (yellow jersey) at one of the rest stops-before the wrong turn
The group I rode with at the Bakery
The Bakery in Saluda-boy did it smell good...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike Mobile and Bike.jpg (74.3 KB, 21 views)
Pre ride.jpg (44.4 KB, 15 views)
John at Store.jpg (52.4 KB, 22 views)
Bakery Stop.jpg (71.3 KB, 26 views)
The Bakery.jpg (45.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-05-06, 01:53 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Wheres the snow and ice and rain? The way you are togged up you must have been expecting it.

Great ride by the sound of things and how were your brothers legs after the detour? Always the one you are involved with that gets lost. That hill sounds awkward so I hope you had the downhill to compensate. I always seem to find rides that have more uphills- even on a circular route. Then the cafe- Hope you were not tempted to stay too long.

Thats it. just reminded me looking at the cafe. Better get out on the bike. Our cafe has a bunch of roadies turn up at around 11 on the first Sunday in the month so want to get there first. No fun trying to order a breakfast just after 50 cyclists have ordered a bacon sarnie and a coffee.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-05-06, 08:36 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Wheres the snow and ice and rain? The way you are togged up you must have been expecting it.

Great ride by the sound of things and how were your brothers legs after the detour? Always the one you are involved with that gets lost. That hill sounds awkward so I hope you had the downhill to compensate. I always seem to find rides that have more uphills- even on a circular route. Then the cafe- Hope you were not tempted to stay too long.

Thats it. just reminded me looking at the cafe. Better get out on the bike. Our cafe has a bunch of roadies turn up at around 11 on the first Sunday in the month so want to get there first. No fun trying to order a breakfast just after 50 cyclists have ordered a bacon sarnie and a coffee.
The weather-while it was a beautiful sunny day it was a bit on the cool side. The pic of the group at the bakery is where folks were putting their vests and other small layers back on for the cool descent back down to the next town. It was a little cooler in Saluda than at the bottom as well.

I made the mistake of walking into the bakery. Heavenly scent is the best way to describe it......lots of cyclist stop in there for refreshments as well.

My brother is my riding "mentor" but sure seems to be challenged just following a route sheet lately. The last time we rode together he got turned around and went about 8 miles out of the way........Since he had only planned to do 58 miles yesterday and I talked him into doing the longer route he was feeling the 108 miles both physically and mentally. About a year ago he was hit by a car while riding and broke his hip. While he will always have some lifelong issues with the hip to deal with he's back riding and doing okay.
Old 03-05-06, 09:03 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for sharing the great pics. What a nice ride.

My Caravan is my bike mobile, although it only has about 70,000 miles. Roll the bikes right in, never need to take the wheels off.

Is the server in the bakery named Irma? I hope so.
Old 03-05-06, 10:01 AM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe.....I love the way you toss off miles, lots of climbing....and all those calories. Keep posting your ride reports--they're always a treat.
Old 03-05-06, 10:23 AM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothin could be finer than to ride through Carolina in the morning. Bon appetite.
Thanks for sharing, it's great to see the your pics and dream of how it would be to ride through such beautiful scenery.
Old 03-06-06, 07:19 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe - Looks like a nice ride. The weather sure was perfect over the weekend. I had a nice 40 mile ride out into Yadkin County yesterday. Cloudless blue sky temp in the mid 40's and no wind really perfect conditions. No bakery out that way though!