Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ride in the Snow

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ride in the Snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 08:42 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Ride in the Snow

I went into the NC mountains near Mt Mitchell this weekend with my family to celebrate my son's birthday. It was NOT great riding weather. In fact the weather got just plain confused and could not figure out if it was supposed to be winter or spring. It was blustery and cold.......the sun would come out brightly........and then within minutes it would cloud up and start snowing..........and then it would become sunny again. Go to the other side of the mountain we were staying on and it was totally opposite.

My family just would not believe that I would go out and attempt to ride on a day like that. I told them about hearing about a fellow who had an epiphany riding in the snow and I HAD to go out to see what it was like. So, after a good 'ol Southern breakfast of grits, country ham, sausage balls, eggs and biscuits (I realize it's not cycling food but it was sitting on the table in front of me) I struck out.

I hit the Blue Ridge Parkway around Spruce Pine and headed South towards Mt Mitchell. The further I got away from Spruce Pine the worse the weather and the roads got. While there wasn't a lot of snow on the side if the road I was traveling on, I noticed that there was snow on the side of the road I was going to come back on. To make it worse, I was doing a good bit of climbing going out and obviously when I turned around it was going to be downhill. Okay..... downhill.......going through snowy spots in curves on slick road tires pumped up to 140 psi and my brakes not working real well........that didn't sound like much fun.

So, I aborted my plans after about 20 miles and turned around and headed back. I don't think I've ever been so uncomfortable descending hills before. It got so bad I unclipped one of my shoes and stuck my foot out....and even swung out into the oncoming lane trying to avoid the snowy slick spots. All this time squeezing and pulsing the heck out of my brakes.

I even gave thought to walking down the blame hills.....but they were at least a couple miles long.
Fortunately I was able to make it back with any issues though.

While I didn't get in a lot of miles I was able to get in a little climbing which felt pretty darn good......but no epiphanies on this ride!! But I did have to spend about 2 hours cleaning up my bike today.......

(Sorry no pics.....of all times to forget my camera!!)
Old 03-26-06, 10:03 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
jppe, The trick is to find some flatland riding for the snow. I didn't worry about anything else as I all I could see were the flakes on my glasses. Out of sight, out of mind.
Old 03-27-06, 03:07 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
jppe, The trick is to find some flatland riding for the snow. I didn't worry about anything else as I all I could see were the flakes on my glasses. Out of sight, out of mind.
Naaa! Get a mountain bike and head for the hills- on the trails of course. Some of my antics are mad- but at least I am not a lunatic. Downhill, on slicks, high pressure, in the snow--- at least the brakes weren't working.

I have to admit that on the Tandem I don't see very much, and we have not had enough snow to even get out in it. What gets me worried though is when my pilot takes his glasses off, because he can't see through the mud. Glasses are there to stop the mud getting in his eyes and he takes them off.

Some of my riding is a bit mad- but I think you are catching up JPPE. Next time you want to do something silly like this- Take the camera- Then we can get you certified easier.

How was the Adrenalyn rush? Or how how high the heart rate. Fantastic ride..And a fantastic breakfast

Spike Milligan