Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting a new set of wheels

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-06, 06:43 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

My "utility" road bike went over a small rock today, and I lost a spoke, and had to hobble back home. I made it fine, but this is the 2nd time it has done this.

The wheels were standard and real cheap when I got the bike on EBay new for $285. Even though they were 36 spoke, they were basically just crap. So, I am having a set of Bontrager "Select" which my handy dandy LBS will set up for me.

I hope to get better results!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-28-06 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-28-06, 07:11 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I think they're good wheels for the money. I've got about 12,000 miles on a set of Race Lites and they've done pretty well.
Old 03-28-06, 07:32 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Dfox, are we going to see pictures when you get the bike back?
Old 03-28-06, 07:40 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also looking for new wheels...Dnvr, what is your LBS charging you? Are they building them at the shop or pre-built? (I understand these are your hard duty utililty ride.) Hubs?
Old 03-28-06, 07:43 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Selects are a good wheel. Get them retensioned after 500 miles or so. One of our bikes (my wife's) uses Selects without any problems after about 5,000 miles. Remember to service the hubs, they're not cartridge type. If you move up to Bonti Race wheels you'll get cartridge bearings, and flat spokes. I really like flat spokes when I true them up. OHB
Old 03-28-06, 07:55 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by GrannyGear
I'm also looking for new wheels...Dnvr, what is your LBS charging you? Are they building them at the shop or pre-built? (I understand these are your hard duty utililty ride.) Hubs?
Pre built, about $200. They will give me a fair price, and this is the LBS that if I go into, they automatically give me a free drive train adjustment, mounted two tires for free last week and threw in a $13 tube at no cost.

I don't worry about price with them. I know overall I get a tremendous value for my dollar. Besides, they know me by name, we have nice chats, they gave my wife and others a free course in basic bicycle maintenance, and sponsor local rides.

Some things are hard to equate to $$!

(I have referred at least 10 folks to them, all of whom have bought bikes. I always tell my referrals to mention that they heard about the bike shop from me).
Old 03-28-06, 11:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been really impressed by Bontrager wheels. Some people look down their noses at Bontrager components, because they're Trek's "in house" brand, so they don't quite have the bling factor of some other component sets. And I have to confess that some of their stuff, particularly saddles, doesn't really impress me.

But their wheels are another matter. Keith Bontrager got his start building MTB wheels, and there is no question in my mind that wheels are something they do well. I got Bontrager wheels on my Madone, and before the bike showed up the wheels were on my list of likely-to-replace components. After a few hundred miles of riding they're off the list. Lightweight, fabulous construction, and true as can be (so far) after some pretty bumpy roads. I'm really impressed. I think you made a good choice.
Old 03-29-06, 06:38 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by roccobike
Well, sure, if you want. But it will just be a 2004 roadie with new wheels. Nothing very exciting. As I said, this is my "utility" roadie.
Old 03-29-06, 01:42 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Pre built, about $200. They will give me a fair price, and this is the LBS that if I go into, they automatically give me a free drive train adjustment, mounted two tires for free last week and threw in a $13 tube at no cost.

I don't worry about price with them. I know overall I get a tremendous value for my dollar. Besides, they know me by name, we have nice chats, they gave my wife and others a free course in basic bicycle maintenance, and sponsor local rides.

(I have referred at least 10 folks to them, all of whom have bought bikes. I always tell my referrals to mention that they heard about the bike shop from me).
That LBS relationship is worth its weight in Titanium.(Used to be gold but since getting into cycling and finding out how much top end bits cost- I have changed my mind) My LBS gets the sale of all my bike bits now. I get a sensible bill at the end of all my perusing, and If I am talking something expensive that I know I can get cheaper on the internet- We discuss terms- I get the doughnuts and they cut the price. The only Labour they do for me is on wheels. I used to true a wheel every now and then and still take the occasional wobbles out myself- but every year I send my perfectly true wheels back to be checked over. I am talking custom built wheels and they are worth looking after. My perfectly true wheels come back- with the spokes retensioned and any other work done to them and it is like riding a different bike. It does literraly have a spring in its step. I do not notice anything wrong with the wheels before they work their wonders, But I definitely do after.

Good luck on the new wheels- so 5 minutes off your hourly ride next week? Or just a few more miles because they work so well.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-29-06, 02:08 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My few LBS's are more like grocery stores....you walk in, walk past the 18 year old clerk, go to the brightly stage lit wall, pick out whatever you need and ring 'er up. They carry either Specialized or Trek. That's it.

In my dreams is that ye olde bike shoppe with Italian frames hanging from hooks in the shadowy ceiling, the smell of rubber, parts bins with cool old stuff for sale (Record dt shifters for $10), Benotto tape in a fishbowl on the counter, a knowledgable guy who rides and is over 30 in shop apron & shorts, etc. etc. and they built the wheels locally. Dream on, GG. I've been in shops like that...just not where I live.

Anyway, I'm ordering my wheels from Sheldon Brown or Rivendell....reasonable prices for reasonable Open Pro wheels and many recommends for quality builds. Oh, and did I mention the fantasy owner has a beautiful single sister in her 50's who loves to ride and is a Perfect Woman who adores guys like me. And, she bakes berry pies almost as well as Irma.
Old 03-29-06, 02:54 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Yes they are! A good LBS is invaluable. Sounds like you got a great deal.

Steve
Old 03-29-06, 03:05 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GrannyGear
My few LBS's are more like grocery stores....you walk in, walk past the 18 year old clerk, go to the brightly stage lit wall, pick out whatever you need and ring 'er up. They carry either Specialized or Trek. That's it.

In my dreams is that ye olde bike shoppe with Italian frames hanging from hooks in the shadowy ceiling, the smell of rubber, parts bins with cool old stuff for sale (Record dt shifters for $10), Benotto tape in a fishbowl on the counter, a knowledgable guy who rides and is over 30 in shop apron & shorts, etc. etc. and they built the wheels locally. Dream on, GG. I've been in shops like that...just not where I live.

Anyway, I'm ordering my wheels from Sheldon Brown or Rivendell....reasonable prices for reasonable Open Pro wheels and many recommends for quality builds. Oh, and did I mention the fantasy owner has a beautiful single sister in her 50's who loves to ride and is a Perfect Woman who adores guys like me. And, she bakes berry pies almost as well as Irma.
When did you visit Phoenix cycles down at Eastbourne? No sister though.

They are into road riding- and would suit you down to the ground. Track bikes galore as there is a strong track element in the area- though where they race is beyond me. When they get onto Mountain bikes- they are Giant Dealers, not my cup of tea- And Kona. Perhaps its me getting fussy- but even Kona's are not what they used to be.
But on Mountain bike knowledge they are great.Stock of parts are what they sell. If the roadies, track racers or mountain bikers want it- they have it in stock. If they don't stock it- they will get it in a week.

Only thing is the Father- Must be in his 70's now and semi-retired. He can be prickly. Bit retro and can't understand why people want these new fangled bits on their bikes. He used to race on a 35lb bike so all the youngsters are soft, and he still proves it on the 100 mile time trials. Although he has updated his bike a bit from when he was racing- it is still a good solid bike that will never let him down.

Problem is- it is shops like this that are in danger of closing- They do not stock the wallmart quality bikes and there are a couple of local stores that do- so very few newcomers buying bikes from them- and as they tell people- to repair their new $100 bike is going to cost £150 so it never gets done. Then there is a large Bike chain shop 30 miles away. I go there and look but get fed up with the staff telling me that I need a new widget- or that My tandem is now out of date and I ought to get one of the newer models that is 5lb heavier- has disc brakes that don't work and suspension that I would not put on a solo. They are just out to sell, and as they do get their bikes muddy once a year, they are experts.

I am lucky that I have your dream shop- but unless the public start using them- it may be just that. A dream that I used to have.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-29-06, 04:02 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
Yes they are! A good LBS is invaluable. Sounds like you got a great deal.

Steve
Fortunately, my LBS, Treads, is thriving.

As "the" LBS in an area of about 60,000 folks, it is well recognized. The population is heavily in bicycling, has 100's of miles of handy bicycling trails and folks are into fitness.

They just moved into a space more than doubling their older, rather crowded, store.

I was in there the other day and two sets of parents came in with quality bikes they had purchased for their kids - for tune-ups, etc. Not KMart specials.

And I hope they continue to prosper.
Old 03-29-06, 09:00 PM
Banned.

WOW!

What a difference. I never imagined that 2 new wheels would make the bike handle so much differently. I only had a chance to ride it around the parking lot, but it is so much more sensitive to my steering. The LBS owner smilingly told me to expect something different. It was.

I will post some pics tomorrow.

The total bill - $216, including tax.

This included the 2 wheels, changing the casette over, adjusting the drive train, setting up the front and rear wheel computer magnets (I use the rear one for cadence), adjusting the front and rear brakes and realigning the pads - they are MUCH better, etc.
Old 03-30-06, 08:37 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by roccobike

My new Bontrager wheel set on my 2004 Windsor Leeds utility road bike.

And the weather forecast for my inaugural ride:

NORTHWEST WINDS
OF 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH WILL DEVELOP OVER THE PLAINS BY
LATE MORNING AND CONTINUE THROUGH THE AFTERNOON HOURS.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-30-06 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-30-06, 12:01 PM
Banned.

OK - the wheels have been inaugurated with a 15 mile ride into some 20-30 mph variably gusty winds. They and I did fine.
Old 03-30-06, 12:11 PM
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have had good luck with Bontrager stuff.I have a crankset I paid maybe $35 for,it is working great,very little wear.I also had a Swammi(sic) rim- front wheel wheel-I think it had a XTR hub,and it was very,very light-10-15 grams less than A Hugi hubbed 517 rim front wheel-the wt was something like 708 grams with rim strip-very light.Many sites will claim wts of less for 517 Hugi 240 ft hub wheels,but they are usually BS-I actually weigh them.If they use some sort of super duper spokes nipples they can drop under 700,but not with standard spokes-nipples.Both these wheels had alloy nipples I think.The Swammi rim was light-not sure who actually made it,but it was supposed to be an in house Trek rim-wheel-came on a Trek Y 50 Hawaii painted bike.Thanks.Charlie
Old 03-30-06, 04:43 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Looks like a perfect match to me!!