Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Summer Plans? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/188247-summer-plans.html)

Blackberry 04-15-06 01:03 AM

Summer Plans?

Tours, events, centuries--what have you got cooked up for the summer?

My plan is combine a family reunion with TRIRI (The Rural Ride in Indiana), a seven day event that explores the countryside in the northern part of the Hoosier state in late June. Other additional possibilities includes following Hadriain's Wall, which borders Scotland and England or following the Erie Canal towpath from Buffalo to Albany.

stapfam 04-15-06 04:03 AM

Have a big ride in a few weeks and then it is time to see if we can get over to France for a Randonnee around the Calais region. Will only be about a 4 hour journey for me- including the ferry so should be possible.

Couple are in towns I know- one at St. Omer and one at Aire-sur-la-lyce. Only problem is that most are on the Black stuff- but The area is not really suited to mountain biking- so may have to change the tyres to the bald ones again.

Old Hammer Boy 04-15-06 09:27 AM

In addition to our usual daily and week end jaunts, and 4 (or so) century rides, I plan to ride across Iowa. My wife has a high school reuinion in western Illinois in August, and we'll be driving from Utah along I-80. I'll have her drop me off on the Nebraska/Iowa state line and ride across Iowa. I've already mapped out my route and just can't wait. I'll mostly credit card tour, using my regular road bike and attempting 60-80 miles/day. It should take about 4-4 1/2 days, of course, depending upon weather, etc. Iowa has many fine, lightly-traveled country roads with small towns every 10 or so miles. It should be interesting. I'll roughly follow the 2006 RAGBRAI route, but start further south.

capejohn 04-15-06 09:31 AM

Five borought in NYC in May
Amsterdam in June between World Cup matches
Boulder in July
Southern France (ride 5 miles, drink wine. Ride 5 miles, east snail.....), and Spain in Nov.

This will definitely be a summer to remember. :)

BigGuy 04-15-06 01:36 PM

Planning to finish a tour that ended prematurely last year with heart fibrilation - Dr. says OK for this year. The tour started in Corpus Christie, TX (Gulf of Mexico) and is slated to end at Tuktoyaktuk in the NW Territories, Canada (Arctic Ocean). This will complete my C2C2C2C.

Monoborracho 04-15-06 01:54 PM

Planning to continue increasing mileage per week, still using my touring bike.

Overnight tour to Ft. Griffin State Park

Katy Trail Tour with wifey driving and meeting me every evening

300 mile tour from near Texas-Mexico border to home

Do my first century on the Trek Pilot I'm hoping Santa Claus will bring me for my birthday, and then do the century at the Hotter-n-Hell 100 in Wichita Falls the week before Labor Day.

I-Like-To-Bike 04-15-06 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy
In addition to our usual daily and week end jaunts, and 4 (or so) century rides, I plan to ride across Iowa. My wife has a high school reuinion in western Illinois in August, and we'll be driving from Utah along I-80. I'll have her drop me off on the Nebraska/Iowa state line and ride across Iowa. I've already mapped out my route and just can't wait. I'll mostly credit card tour, using my regular road bike and attempting 60-80 miles/day. It should take about 4-4 1/2 days, of course, depending upon weather, etc. Iowa has many fine, lightly-traveled country roads with small towns every 10 or so miles. It should be interesting. I'll roughly follow the 2006 RAGBRAI route, but start further south.

Send me a PM if you will be near Burlington in the south eastern corner of IA.