Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Yes, it was a nice day!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Yes, it was a nice day!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 06:06 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, it was a nice day!

I finished rebuilding a wheel to replace the one I trashed last week, mounted a brand new tire, loaded up my new camera (Canon A620) and went out for a 20 mile ride. According to my trusty Heart Rate Monitor, I burned up 943 calories so I stopped off at the Old Town Cafe and Espresso to mitigate the damage..... I think I broke even.

Some more photos of the ride HERE.

Dogbait
Old 04-23-06, 06:25 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a great day! And that's just the camera I'm thinking of getting. Looks like it works pretty good too. Please pass the pie!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-23-06, 06:31 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well done, Dogbait. Thanks for the snaps.

It was a great day on the east coast as well--a perfect 10. I rambled around the back roads on the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains on the old touring bike, feeling very lucky to be alive. Living rural virginia, we don't have any espresso bars, but I did manage to score a six pack at the convenience store about a mile from home. I'm carbo loading as I write this.
Old 04-23-06, 06:55 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Sounds like a great day! And that's just the camera I'm thinking of getting. Looks like it works pretty good too. Please pass the pie!
I really like this camera. I bought it specifically to carry around on the bike. I really didn't want to carry my Nikon D70 SLR. The Canon fits in the palm of my hand and I carry it in a sling pack (Tamrac Velocity 4) on the bike. There is a newer model, the A700 out now but I like the features of the A620 better, specifically the rotating LCD screen. The A700 has a longer lens and uses fewer batteries but gives up the ISO 50. When I first started looking at it, the price was around $300.00. A couple weeks later when the A700 came out, it was down to $285.00 or so. I hemmed and hawed some more and it dropped to $273.00 and I ordered it. As usually happens when I buy something, it went to $263.00 the next day.... now it's $249.69. That's an incredible deal for a high quality 7 megapixel camera. Buydig.com usually has the best price online and they are a reputable company.... I just wish they'd let me know in advance when they are about to cut their prices.

Dogbait
Old 04-23-06, 07:06 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I don't think that people who inbibe such fancy boy coffee drinks should be allowed to post on 50+.
Old 04-23-06, 07:08 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dogbait
I really like this camera. I bought it specifically to carry around on the bike. I really didn't want to carry my Nikon D70 SLR. The Canon fits in the palm of my hand and I carry it in a sling pack (Tamrac Velocity 4) on the bike. There is a newer model, the A700 out now but I like the features of the A620 better, specifically the rotating LCD screen. The A700 has a longer lens and uses fewer batteries but gives up the ISO 50. When I first started looking at it, the price was around $300.00. A couple weeks later when the A700 came out, it was down to $285.00 or so. I hemmed and hawed some more and it dropped to $273.00 and I ordered it. As usually happens when I buy something, it went to $263.00 the next day.... now it's $249.69. That's an incredible deal for a high quality 7 megapixel camera. Buydig.com usually has the best price online and they are a reputable company.... I just wish they'd let me know in advance when they are about to cut their prices.

Dogbait
Gosh, this sounds just like my line of thinking! I have an old A70 but my daughter has sort of got possession now, and I don't like carrying my Digital Rebel (Canon) around on my bike. I love the feature set of the A620, and considered the A700 for the extra zoom but that's just not that big a priority for a walk-around P&S for me. I too will have it in a little carrying case that I can mount on the handlebar, like I did the A70 (they're almost the same size anyway!). Best price I have seen in the last couple of days is $249 at Beach Camera, even beating Buydig.com when i looked. Guess it's time to pull the trigger. Thanks for the field report.

EDIT: I think there's also an attachable, optional extender that would give you more zoom, if you ever wanted to spend a few more bucks. I bought one of them for my A70, but to be honest, hardly ever used it. One more thing to carry around.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay