Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hills and Headwinds

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hills and Headwinds

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 12:11 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hills and Headwinds

Hills -- fair enough. Life has it's ups and downs.

Headwinds -- fair enough. Pretend they're hills.

But what kind of cruel Creator decided to pair hills (the going UP kind) with headwinds (the coming straight AT YOU kind)?

Is this some kind of cosmic joke? Please, dear Lord -- give me hills, if you must, or headwinds, if that is your will. But please, dear Lord -- PLEASE keep them separate! Is that too much to ask?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-25-06, 01:29 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX LeMond Alpe d'Huez

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger...and probably faster (although at this point I don't know if that's a good thing or not).

Ride fast...
Bill
Old 04-25-06, 01:36 AM
sdr
Misanthropic Miscreant

Bikes: Gary Fisher Nirvana S--Specialized Crosstrail Limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
But what kind of cruel Creator decided to pair hills (the going UP kind) with headwinds (the coming straight AT YOU kind)?
from my perspective it would appear that god gave you a shot at down hill with a tail wind. it's not his fault if you chose to go the wrong way.

sheesh!
Old 04-25-06, 02:56 AM

Bikes: Canyon Alu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But what kind of cruel Creator decided to pair hills (the going UP kind) with headwinds (the coming straight AT YOU kind)...
And what would you do if he would give additionally:

3) a flat (and you forgot your repair set)
4) a gang of bulls standing crosswise on the road who look like they don't love cyclists
5) a trailer with a tent in it

What does Pastorbob say? It's in his competence, I guess
Old 04-25-06, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Over 30 years ago I learned that the first rule of cycling is: "No matter which way you head out, you'll always face a head wind coming home." Later I learned: "The downhill after a really hard climb is always better because of the effort required by the climb." AND... even later I learned: "Forget your pump or patch kit, and that's the day you'll flat."

Frankly, part of what I like about cycling is that it's not always easy. With that said, you'll find me cursing, not always under my breath, as I too labor up hill into a headwind. Yet, one thing I've observed is that whenever I come upon a runner, I seldom see him or her smiling. It just doesn't look like he or she is having much fun. On the other hand, when I chance upon a cyclist, I frequently see a face with some measure of joy. Distorted perception? Perhaps, but I think the rewards far outweight the discomfort... as long as I get to curse when riding uphill into a headwind.
Old 04-25-06, 10:30 AM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdr
from my perspective it would appear that god gave you a shot at down hill with a tail wind. it's not his fault if you chose to go the wrong way.

sheesh!
Old 04-25-06, 11:35 AM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's yer sign!!

Dogbait
Old 04-25-06, 11:37 AM

Bikes: '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain climbs into a headwind at ALTITUDE...
Old 04-25-06, 11:48 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Its all a plot! Really its just the way life is. There a lot of downslope winds, especially in the morning hours. It does suck, but as the advice from earlier posts said, take it slow, take it steady and try not to worry about 4 mph. (That was my speed going uphill against a 25 mph headwind recently.)
Old 04-25-06, 11:53 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Is this some kind of cosmic joke? Please, dear Lord -- give me hills, if you must, or headwinds, if that is your will. But please, dear Lord -- PLEASE keep them separate! Is that too much to ask?
Its not our fault that you are getting fitter. That headwind was actually a 5 mph tailwind, but as you went up the hill at 20 mph, you actually caused your own headwind.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-25-06, 11:57 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love all the responses.

Of course my post was tongue in cheek but man! There were some strong winds uphill yesterday!

That said, I remembered to remember the alternative -- not being able to ride at all. Suddenly a little wind was no big deal. Even today, when time is crunched and it's threatening rain any moment, I was able to get out for a quick 5 mile spin. Loved to have gone farther, but no time today. Still, even in the chilly air, I liked sneaking in a quick ride. Got the heart pumping and stretched out those tired legs.

Old 04-25-06, 12:46 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
I bet if we all rode "just" 5 miles a day every single day, we would be in almost as good a shape as when we do 100 + miles a weeks in two or three rides. And we would probably be (even) happier!
Going out for a long ride does have its advantages when you get home to a caring wife, that helps you to unload the bike, has a cup of tea waiting for you and as soon as you have got out of the bath that she run for you- she puts a big slab of Home made cake by your arnchair and hands you the remote so you can watch the F 1 grand prix in peace. All I got last sunday was "Your late. The grass needs cutting and Chris from up the road wants you to take him out for a ride tonight but he's got a puncture, and the kids are coming round for dinner SO DON'T MAKE A MESS". mMakes me wish I had done a century instead of 40.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-25-06, 01:46 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Hills -- fair enough. Life has it's ups and downs.

Headwinds -- fair enough. Pretend they're hills.

This morning about 5AM I took off without checking the weather. Cold front had blown in. After half a mile I'm freezing (Texas standards here), go back home and put on the leg warmers and windproof jacket and have another half-cup of coffee and say, "Ok, I'll still do 15 instead of 20 miles and be back in plenty of time". I head out again, this time I make it about two miles fighting the 20mph gusting to 30 mph winds. I know it will be a tailwind on the way home, but its cold, and dark and I'm the only one on the road.

I must be crazy.

I go back home, put everything up, and crawl back in bed for the best hour and half of sleep I've had all week.

When I ride, there is nothing BUT hills in every direction for me. Still, I forgot my first rule of cycling here......and I quote from my posting in the 50+Rogues Gallery ".....live in a small town in the hill country of north central Texas, where everything is always uphill and into the wind and once you accept that you will be okay."

I know I'm a weenie and I work on Texas standards when it comes to cold compared to some of you guys. But does this ever happen to you guys?

Every have a day where it just doesn't come together?
Old 04-25-06, 02:29 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Only time I ever cut a ride really short was on a freezing morning, and I only got 5 miles from home and The hands stopped working. Cut the ride short and went to the LBS for some better gloves. Never used them since as they are so bulky- The hands don't work in side them. By the way temperature was only 28deg and I have ridden in colder so why the hands caused such a problem that day--- I do not know.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-26-06, 08:33 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Stapfam...you make me feel bad for breaking off a ride. Today the wind was very light even though it was cold by my standards, near 40 degrees or so, but it was up at them and I did the 22 mile run before breakfast to amend for yesterday.

"....and then the wheels came off"
Old 04-26-06, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
My wife made a mock bumper sticker for my car that says, "I'll stop riding when you pry my dead cold fingers off my handlebars." I carry my father's genetic material... If I start it, I'll finish it. Mind you, this is not an easy trait to live with, and can be pretty stupid at times. I wish I could cut myself some slack, but once I'm out the door, I take headwinds or cold temperatures as a personal challenge. I'll be damned before I'll let them force me back inside.
Old 04-26-06, 10:56 AM
Mmmm, Blue Salsa....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DeeGee,
You only got two of the Hs? What a wuss . You have to have at least three of the four Hs to make a truly memorable ride:

- Hills
- Headwinds
- Heat
- Humidity

Heck, even here in Houston we get three out of four for about 10 months of the year. And we don't have to go far to add the hills to the mix.

Stop yer bellyaching and be a man about it . If you want all four Hs and more, you can add one HUNDRED miles to the list and do the Hotter n' Hell Hundred in Wichita Falls in late August :

https://www.hh100.org/

B'Dog
1998 Diamondback Outlook MTB
1990 Centurion Cavaletto 'Gaspipe Beater' Roadie
1978 Volkscycle 'Frankenbike' CroMo Tourer
Old 04-26-06, 10:59 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BubbaDog
DeeGee,
You only got two of the Hs? What a wuss . You have to have at least three of the four Hs to make a truly memorable ride:

- Hills
- Headwinds
- Heat
- Humidity

Heck, even here in Houston we get three out of four for about 10 months of the year. And we don't have to go far to add the hills to the mix.

Stop yer bellyaching and be a man about it . If you want all four Hs and more, you can add one HUNDRED miles to the list and do the Hotter n' Hell Hundred in Wichita Falls in late August :

https://www.hh100.org/

B'Dog
That's it. I'm going to quit cycling and take up miniature golf!

Old 04-26-06, 01:31 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baggsy
Mountain climbs into a headwind at ALTITUDE...
Ditto!!!I really hate going up those canyons with a wind blowing down the canyon; same with hills on the plains. BUT, it does make for a lot of fun when you get to ride down!
Old 04-26-06, 07:02 PM
Mmmm, Blue Salsa....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's it. I'm going to quit cycling and take up miniature golf!
Playing with a little stick and little balls is a given at this age, just usually not with a foursome. Unless you're from the state of fruits and nuts, hmmmm?

B'Dog
1998 Diamondback Outlook MTB
1990 Centurion Cavaletto 'Gaspipe Beater' Roadie
1978 Volkscycle 'Frankenbike' CroMo Tourer