Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+'rs off to Moab for a few days.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-06, 06:57 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

My wife and I are heading to Moab, UT and environs for a few (10) days. We are taking our mtn bikes, and plan to do some EASY (that is E A S Y) trails if we can find them, in addition to exploring Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Hovenweep, Rainbow Bridge and other National Parks and Monuments.

When I asked in the mtn bike forum about easy rides, they all sort of assumed that we were going to ride Slickrock and some of the other advanced trails. No way. I have googled and found some easy (that is E A S Y) trails, and am in contact with MoabRider from BFN who works in Moab and has given us some ideas.

However, just on the off-chance that anyone here has some good suggestions, I am posting here also!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-14-06 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-14-06, 07:07 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Dnver-several years back I took the 2 lane road that goes east from Moab along the river about 20 miles over to the Interstate. I was heading back towards Glendale Springs maybe? Anyway, I've always wanted to bike that stretch of road......just gorgeous.

Have a great trip to Arches. It's certainly a beautiful, beautiful place.
Old 05-14-06, 07:55 PM
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a great vacation. Looking forward to some photos.
Old 05-14-06, 08:01 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by jppe
Dnver-several years back I took the 2 lane road that goes east from Moab along the river about 20 miles over to the Interstate. I was heading back towards Glendale Springs maybe? Anyway, I've always wanted to bike that stretch of road......just gorgeous.

Have a great trip to Arches. It's certainly a beautiful, beautiful place.
Probably Grand Junction and then to Glenwood Springs

There is now a bike trail through spectacular Glenwood Canyon following the Colorado River. It won't be long before it goes all the way through Vail to Summit County.

Anyway, this is a beautiful trail - about 16 miles one way which follows the award-winning I-70 route through the canyon. We plan to ride it on our way to Moab - we will spend the first night in Glenwood Springs. Hopefully, the dogs will be gone!

Old 05-18-06, 06:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easy Rides in Moab

First, go to the LBS in Moab either Poison Spider or Chile Peppers (my favorite) and they will gladly give you some good advice. For the easy rides you will likely be doing some fire road/double track, however, Bartlett Wash and Klondike Bluff are two that have some climbing but will allow you to experience the slickrock sandstone. The Slickrock trail, even the short loop, is not easy and should not be attempted if you want to keep your marriage. Go and enjoy the great scenery and riding.
Old 05-18-06, 07:44 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by pparker
First, go to the LBS in Moab either Poison Spider or Chile Peppers (my favorite) and they will gladly give you some good advice. For the easy rides you will likely be doing some fire road/double track, however, Bartlett Wash and Klondike Bluff are two that have some climbing but will allow you to experience the slickrock sandstone. The Slickrock trail, even the short loop, is not easy and should not be attempted if you want to keep your marriage. Go and enjoy the great scenery and riding.
We have cancelled Moab. My wife does not do well at all in heat, and the temps there of 97F are just a bit too much.

We will instead explore the higher elevations of Colorado. Maob must wait until it cools off.

EDIT

It looks as if it may cool down Monday. If so, we will head over there on Monday.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-18-06 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 04:15 PM
Banned.

Here are some pictures from our ride up Glenwood Canyon today. Nora and I did about 21 miles - the full round trip is about 33 miles. It ws gorgeous, the Colorado River was running very high, temp aboout 82F.

All the pictures were taken with my handy/dandy cell phone.

The cliffs are about 1,000 feet high. The highway through the canyon is considered the toughest section of the entire interstate highway system, and is a formal modern engineering marvel.

One of several rest stops

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-19-06 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-20-06, 05:47 PM
Banned.

Biked in BEAUTIFUL redstone, CO a bit today. A small insulated artsy crafty mountain community of 92 people. We managed to lose one set of our car keys! Fortunately we had the spare.

As these are the electronic kinds, we will need to go to a dealer or a very sophisticated locksmith (the ones around here can't do it). They have to reprogram the computer, etc.

Never travel on weekends. Everything you need in an emergency is closed!

https://www.redstonecolorado.com/

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-20-06 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-20-06, 06:13 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Wow!! Thanks so much for the pics. I have to go there again!!
Old 05-20-06, 06:16 PM
Banned.

Wow!! Thanks so much for the pics. I have to go there again!!
Thanks - it is nice to have someone notice this thread!

I think this type of ride sharing is of little interest to most folks, yet it takes a fair amount of effort to post all those pics. Is it worth it?
Old 05-20-06, 06:25 PM
Let's do a Century

It definitely is for me. I can really appreciate the raging currents in the river-I saw Yosemite like that in May several years ago and was from the snow melting. Your description of the road and the 1000' foot walls really help to visualize the area as well. And what timing to be able to get the train in the picture!!

It just goes to show how much fun and rewarding it can be to get out and see stuff like that from a bicycle seat.....including some stops along the way as well!!
Old 05-23-06, 03:17 PM
Banned.

Moab cancelled due to heat, went to Gunnison instead. The drive from Glenwood through Redstone (found my lost keys) over McClure Pass through Hotchkiss and innto Blue Mesa Reservoir was absolutelt, absolutely gorgeous. Images of 100 miles vistas with snow-capped peaks and flowered bushes and multi colored greens with aspen and othe flora. Deer all over the place, had to stop 3 times to let them across the road. Gorgeous.

Anyway we biked around the town of Gunnison today - also gorgeous - Colorado ranching country with snow peaks in the background.

Here are some pics taken with the cell phone camera (it is cold this am!):

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-23-06 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-23-06, 04:48 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep telling myself I need to get out to that part of Colorado with my bike. I haven't made it yet, but your pictures are making me push it up on the priority list. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-23-06, 05:13 PM
Banned.

We have really enjoyed driving from gorgeous town to gorgeous town and finding places to ride.

Tomorrow - Lake City

Thursday - Crested Butte

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-23-06 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-23-06, 06:37 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dfox- thanks for the wonderful pics. It's pretty here in the east, but I forget the unbelievable vistas that are so routine out west. It sounds truly a nice trip, (except for the heat and the car key thing).
Old 05-23-06, 06:41 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by p8rider
Dfox- thanks for the wonderful pics. It's pretty here in the east, but I forget the unbelievable vistas that are so routine out west. It sounds truly a nice trip, (except for the heat and the car key thing).
We located the car keys, and stayed out of the heat (it will be 31F here tonight)!
Old 05-23-06, 07:01 PM
Let's do a Century

Okay-no more pics Dnvr-you're getting me too envious of your trip!! Seriously it sounds like a really wonderful way to spend a few days. Thanks for making the effort to share the views with us.
Old 05-23-06, 07:30 PM
Banned.

Okay-no more pics Dnvr-you're getting me too envious of your trip!! Seriously it sounds like a really wonderful way to spend a few days. Thanks for making the effort to share the views with us.
HA!

Tomorrow I am taking the Canon to take some REAL pictures. But, we haven't a clue if there will be any opportunities for cycling in Lake City. We know there are in Crested Butte because we have biked there before,
Old 05-24-06, 06:49 PM
Banned.

Okay-no more pics Dnvr-you're getting me too envious of your trip!!
Sorry

Bicycling and exploring in Lake City, CO.

Driving through a cow drive of several 100 cows all over the highway; 3 bicyclists had to make it through all the cows, The VERY small town of Lake City - it is the county seat for Honsdale County with 810 folks in the entire county, Lake San Cristobal. In this area, it is over 50 miles of wilderness between through roads. Tomorrow Crested Butte bicycling.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-24-06 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-25-06, 06:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is really beautiful country! Have you had alot of climbing on your rides, or have you stuck to the valley floors?
Old 05-25-06, 07:03 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by p8rider
That is really beautiful country! Have you had alot of climbing on your rides, or have you stuck to the valley floors?
We greatly enjoy driving to a new area, then exploring that area by bicycling. Sometimes there are hills, and sometimes not.

It is the exact opposite of the type of bicycling that has been more predominantly featured lately on the 50+ forum. For relaxation, enjoyment and some fitness only!

Therefore, our rides are generally less than 20 miles or so.
Old 05-25-06, 10:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a great trip Dfox. One for my ledger of things to do when I get the time. Nice 20 mile rides with breaks for sightseeing etc., beautiful weather. You can't ask for much better than that!
Old 05-25-06, 11:34 AM
Let's do a Century

The last picture with the reflection of the mountains in the lake is a keeper!!

Loved the shots of the cattle drive!!
Old 05-25-06, 03:01 PM
Banned.

Crested Butte is so amazingly beautiful that it is difficult to NOT take continuous pictures. So, here are 7 of the many I took today. Also, the town is loaded with bikes - they are everywhere and unlocked. People ride them constantly - mostly cruisers and mtn bikes, many rather old, but they serve the purpose. There is a bike stand on the sidewalk about every 30 feet.

Old 05-25-06, 05:08 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh hell, Denver! Now I've absolutely got to plan a trip to Crested Butte. And it's all your fault.

Did I mention I really love the pictures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.