Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Best ride of my life...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Best ride of my life...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-06, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best ride of my life...

...was today, I think.

This post is going to sound a lot like one of Gary's from a little while back, but that means I'm following in good footsteps, so what the hell.

Early in the day I went for a Mother's Day ride with Mrs. Raket. Good fun, and we came back to a Mother's Day barbecue whipped up by our two daughters.

Then, after the dishes were all done, maybe an hour or so before sunset, my younger daughter asked me if I wanted to go on a bike ride with her.

My younger one is an interesting kid. She'll be sixteen this summer. Her thing has always been horses. She's been riding them since she was five, and as of this year she has won eight national championships on three different horses, two of which she trained from scratch. So she's not exactly the timid type.

For some reason, though, she never learned to ride a bike. We live out in the country, on a steep and poorly-paved road, so our "neighborhood", such as it is, never really encouraged that sort of thing. And she was always busy with her horses, school, friends and the like.

But a few weeks ago, she decided she simply had to learn to ride a bike. It was just too embarrassing not to know how. I took her out -- after dark, since she insisted it be somewhere nobody could see her -- to a deserted one-mile loop of very flat and very well-lit road. We took an old beater bike of her sister's that I fixed up for the occasion. Wobble, wobble, fall... wobble, fall... and off she goes into the night. Six laps later, she figures she's got it down.

And that was it, until this evening. We had a wonderful time. It was her first time really dealing with hills and gears, so there was a fair amount of weaving around on the uphills when the gearing wasn't quite right. But when it was good, it was very, very good. She's into speed -- next to jumping horses over fences, her favorite thing is downhill skiing -- and she kept saying "I like this... I really like this!" the whole way. I was tooling along on my bike behind her yelling out "car back!" and "clear!" and grinnin' like a fool. Man, what a good time! We did seven miles in all, with a big smooch for her old dad at the end.

Cycling is many things to many people, but I think it's at its best when it brings people closer together.
Old 05-14-06, 09:57 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing Raket....these kinds of stories never wear out-- especially for fellow parents. Sharing a personal passion with your child is one of the joys of having children. Cycling is wonderful sport and pastime built for cooperation and sharing. Splitting your last Clif bar in a rainstorm 30 miles from home with a friend is a "get close" experience. And when its family, what could be better! Probably one of your more treasured smooches.
Old 05-14-06, 10:42 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great story, Raket. Obviously I love these kinds of stories, and yours was wonderful. I didn't get to bike with my daughter this weekend, but we DID take a couple of cameras on a "photo safari" in Balboa Park and had a blast. With digital, who cares how many shots? We came home, she had 220 shots, I had 80, and we both were grinning like...well, like a Dad and his daughter.

So thanks for sharing your story. I love 'em!!!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-14-06, 10:57 PM
Ride simple.

Bikes: vitus 979, g fisher, specialized, trek, bridgestone rb1, Trek SS, Hiawatha SS, 54' Schwinn SS, Trek SS CX conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy Mother's Day, Raketmensch. Happy mother's day one and all.
Old 05-15-06, 02:07 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raketmensch
Cycling is many things to many people, but I think it's at its best when it brings people closer together.
As long as you whupped 'em on the hills or in a flat out sprint

Seriously though, sounds like a great time, and thanks for sharing it with us!

Take care,

Steve
Old 05-15-06, 09:17 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Having two daughters myself your story just Wows me.......really, really cool stuff.
Old 05-15-06, 10:11 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX LeMond Alpe d'Huez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great story.
So now you got to by her an Iron Horse?

Thanks for sharing.

Bill
Old 05-15-06, 10:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakota
So now you got to by her an Iron Horse?
That sounds about right. But last night she came by with the latest issue of Bicycling magazine (which she got me for Christmas) pointing out the Trek 1000. In flaming orange, of course. And she's got a birthday coming up. So yeah, there may be another bike purchase in our not-too-distant future.
Old 05-16-06, 08:50 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Raketmensch
That sounds about right. But last night she came by with the latest issue of Bicycling magazine (which she got me for Christmas) pointing out the Trek 1000. In flaming orange, of course. And she's got a birthday coming up. So yeah, there may be another bike purchase in our not-too-distant future.
Daughters.......They really know how to manage their Dads don't they?

My oldest is a senior in college and living away from home-in fact she lives in one of the premiere riding areas on the East Coast. She was home over the weekend and said her college friends who are on the cycling team are really wanting her to ride with them. She has been on the cross country team and running for years and has always loved "riding with Dad". She's pretty darn good on the hills as well so who knows what she could do.

Anyway, her birthday is the end of the month and she mentioned that she sure would like to have a road bike to ride like her Dad.........sucked me right in. So if you find a bike you like I'd be very interested to know what model you find. I'm sure I'll probably out looking as well!