Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Senior Olympic Bike Races...Ever do one?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-06, 06:42 AM

Bikes: '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been considering, and don't ask me why, riding a couple Senior Olympic bike races. It appears they have a 5 and 10K time trial as well as 20 and 40K road races. As close as I've ever come to racing is three duathlons, and by the time I got on the bike there weren't many to race with or against. I'm curious if anyone has ever done one and what I can expect. If I am doing my km to mph conversion correct, last years winners in my age group were pulling 24mph thru most of the races! I"m lucky to hit that as a max most rides, let alone average that. Tell me what I can do to get ready and how to enjoy it the most without looking like a slug...

Thanks in advance...

Baggsy
Old 05-25-06, 09:21 AM

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also curious. There's another forum member ("skydive69"?) who did this last year and won if I recall correctly. I'm considering looking for some other old fat guys to race against..
Old 05-25-06, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did one of the time trials the year after I became eligible. (They were not offering any sort of road race here.) It was a lot of fun. There was a large turnout, I would guess 100 or so. Everything from flinty-eyed guys with lightspeeds to little old ladies with baskets on their cruiserbikes.

They do age ranges, and one minute start intervals. I passed two of the riders in front of me (the 10K race) and came in 5th in my age range. Fastest time was by a guy in the 65+ group! (More time to train, perhaps?)

A good time was had by all.
Old 05-25-06, 11:37 PM

Bikes: '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Bikewer...I figure there will be alot of people that are in way better shape than I am, but I would like to try them. I'm not sure if the road race allows drafting or not. I think it would be a good one to see if nothing else. My road bike is a Jamis Aurora, not a real classy race bike, but better than the old pipe steel Schwinn I had awhile back. I don't know if I'd be competitive or not, but I think there's only one way to find out. I think I'll give it a try, just to humble myself if nothing else.

Anyone else with any words of wisdom? Denvr? This is kind of an on-topic thread, I was hoping you'd weigh in here...
Old 05-26-06, 05:43 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Baggsy

Anyone else with any words of wisdom? Denvr? This is kind of an on-topic thread, I was hoping you'd weigh in here...
It is a great on-topic thread!

But, racing?

'Fraid not. No clue nor any experience, nor desire.

But, good luck!
Old 05-26-06, 06:18 AM
Old Woman on a Catrike

Bikes: Catrike 5.5.9., Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the Senior Games this year and had a wonderful time. For me it was a case of setting a benchmark so that next year, and years to come, I can try to beat the previous year's 5k and 10k times. I did win my age group and came in fifth overall of all the women racers. Regarding training, I just added a few one - two minute sprints to my regular rides for about six weeks prior to the race. Definitely try it - you'll have a lot of fun!
Old 05-26-06, 07:25 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Trust me, you won't be the slowest one.

I helped out at the St. Louis Senior Olympics for a few years. Competitors ranged from full-on skinsuited folks on time trial rigs to people on fat tired coaster brake bikes complete with rattling fenders. Everybody acted like they were having a good time.
Old 05-26-06, 08:27 AM

Bikes: Specialized A1 Sport, Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try the Senior Olympics

Baggsy,

I like to compete, mostly for internal satisfaction; I seldom place high in my age group. It's fun to do events, such as running, cross country skiing, and cycling, to see how times and performance go from year to year. They do get slower, but not alarmingly so. I do the NH State Senior Games time trials every year. We also have 20 and 40 K road races, but since I get dropped pretty fast, and they turn into long time trials, I don't do them anymore. Not worried about place, but once you lose contact, the riding is a lot toughter. By luck I qualified for the National Senior Olympics two years ago, and that was a lot of fun. This year's State Games are also qualifiers for the Nationals in 2007.

My recommendation: give it a try. It is great to be competing and socializing with people your own age--much more fun than being in an USCF event with a bunch of 20 year old hotshots. You might want to start with the time trials; it will be very much like a duathlon bike leg. You can check the road races to see if you want to do that kind of riding. One entry fee gets you all of the cycling events.

Have fun,
Leland
Old 05-26-06, 09:01 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Baggsy, Thanks for starting this thread.

Thanks to others for your input.

I was considering joining in next year's senior games in PA, but was afraid that the only competitors would be the skin-suited win-or-die types (which I am not).

Don't get me wrong, if I happen to get fast enough to be in the top 10, I will be tickled pink, but if I don't I will still ride faster and harder than I have in years and love it.

My only remaining concern is that next year I will be at the minimum age (50) and they start the youngest riders first (I presume to minimize passing). Since I will probably be among the slower riders, does anyone think this would be a major issue? I don't mind being passed (well, I do, but I can deal with it), I just don't want to be seen as a hinderance to the faster riders... Any advice?

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-28-06, 07:03 AM

Bikes: Specialized A1 Sport, Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Baggsy,

To continue the conversation, the Senior Games races pretty much follow the standard bicycle racing rules--interval starts and no drafting in time trials, mass starts and drafting in road road races. looking up gave good advice for time trial training. On your rides it is a good idea to get used to riding a fair amount in the drops and to become accustomed to maintaining a fairly high cadence for a sustained length of time. Doing a practice 10K time trial once a week should do the trick. For the road races you will probably want to do some 1-2 minute intervals and some accelerations. Practice riding in a pack too.

Leland
Old 05-30-06, 10:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I appreciate all the replies. Good info and food for thought. I sent my entry fee's in and we'll see how it goes. Expect a post ride results post on June 25th or watch for my name in the obituaries...
Old 05-30-06, 12:24 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baggsy
Well I appreciate all the replies. Good info and food for thought. I sent my entry fee's in and we'll see how it goes. Expect a post ride results post on June 25th or watch for my name in the obituaries...
What???? Bagsy youre not going to come to Laramie and race in the Dead Dog Classic? How could you not? Now wait a minute! I just looked up the Wyoming Senior Olympics and they are in August. You're not going to pose as a resident of some other state are you?
Old 05-30-06, 01:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Merlin...I've witnessed the Dead Dog and those guys would put me to shame. Wyo's is in August, and depending on how I do South of here...(hint, hint), I may make my way to Gillette, a town I am not fond of in the least by the way. I've run Laramie's Du a couple times, even placed last year...Just trying to get my feet wet with people who are old enough to shave I guess...(grin)
Old 05-30-06, 02:30 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep the masters 55+ are way too fast for me. You could race 35+,4 which is for noobie older guys like us. 42 racers last year. 41 miles, 3500 ft of climbing. Fastest 2 hours 15 min; slowest 3 hours 33 minutes (and it was wiiiinnndddddyyyyy). I think I could do at least the latter. Fullly supported with one feed zone, lead and follow vheicle. Radio/emt and law enforcement support too. They can race all three races if they want to. Or, you could do our fully supported citizens race. Lead and follow vehicle with your extra wheels (if you have them). About 20 miles. 1000 feet of climbing. 9 men and seven women did it last year. A woman won the race with a time around 54 minutes. Citizens can only race the road race.
Old 06-02-06, 08:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I participated in the Sr. Olympics last June in Pittsburg. It was a wonderful experience as the bike races were run very professionally with streets blocked off for the TT's and rolling police ******* stopping traffic for the road races. I understand the same guy who ran those races is advising the cycling staff at Louisville next year.

There were 10,000 athletes at Pittsburg, and I think around 500-600 cyclists. Amazing. But as earlier posters have said, some come to win, many come to set personal bests, others just to have a good time. The whole idea behind the S.O. organization is to get seniors out of the house and moving.
There is great camaraderie among all.

I assume you're considering the national games. You'll need to qualify at the state level races, which at least here in Maine, take place in September.

If you want to do well at the Nat's, get a training program and start in October - weights, diet, stationary bike, the whole bit. Honestly - if you're motivated it's fun and makes you feel great. I subscribed to an on-line program which slowly built me up all winter to peak in June. I focused more on time trialing and yes, I was one of those flinty-eyed, skin suited, TT bike-riding guys described below. But it was fun and I was rewarded for my efforts by winning a silver medal in the 10K TT and Bronze in the 5K for the 50-55 age group. The road races ... well, I finished in the pack. But still had a blast.

I'd highly recommend the Senior Olympics to everyone and want to be very emphatic, there is no reason to be intimidated. The major emphasis is on getting out, meeting new folks and having fun. The basket and fender equipped bike riders are given the same consideration and are just as appreciated as those who come to win. As cliche' as it sounds, just being out there makes you a winner.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions that I can.