Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Shared A Friend's First Ride Yesterday

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-06, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was pleased to share a ride with a co-worker and friend yesterday afternoon. He recently quit smoking and expressed interest in bicycling for exercise. I am 64 YO and he is in his 40's. I have only been riding since April 2004 after having bypass surgery.

I brought a Trek 4500 and a Bianchi Eros so my friend could get a feel for a mountain bike versus a road bike. He was totally amazed at the differences in newer bikes compared to an old department store ten speed he had tried several years ago. We road 16 miles on a rail trail and switched bikes several times to allow him to see the differences. I explained the basics of bicycle fit and how the various components such as stems, seat adjustments, frame size, etc. affect fit. He was surprised to learn of the many options available.

We rode at a leisurely pace and talked some of the time, then we would speed up and slow down, trying the gearing options. He had a chance to try the Campy Ergo shifters compared to the Shimano Rapid fire shifters on the Trek. He was very impressed with both bikes and the ease of changing gears.

When we finished our ride, he thanked me several times and said how much he enjoyed the experience. We made plans for another ride next Thursday. He is already interested in introducing his wife to biking.

It was a very enjoyable experience for me as well, and I sincerely hope he has found a new and healthier habit in cycling.
Old 05-25-06, 08:55 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool! Maybe you hooked another one? Time will tell. Good work!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-26-06, 05:38 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Very nice write up and thread.

16 miles for a first ride in a long time is excellent.

Good for you.

Good thread. This is what it is all about. Have him join the forum. It was specifically designed to assist 50+ newbies to get into bicycling.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-26-06 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-26-06, 06:16 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
One of the best examples of "Paying it forward" on cycling I've heard!! An excellent illustration of how you can tell folks about the advances in cycling but there's nothing like a test ride. Not only did you do a test ride you gave the fellow various options to test. Great story and thanks for sharing!!
Old 05-26-06, 07:08 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great story! Glad you took the time to share it.
Old 05-26-06, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Old Grandad: Man, I wish I had met you when I first started riding... instead of those gear mashing, macho EBs. Nice post and extremely cool way of introducing someone to the greatest recreational activity around.
Old 05-26-06, 08:03 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Old Grandad: Man, I wish I had met you when I first started riding... instead of those gear mashing, macho EBs. Nice post and extremely cool way of introducing someone to the greatest recreational activity around.
Elitist Bastard for the newcomers.
Old 05-26-06, 08:19 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Elitist Bastard for the newcomers.

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 05-26-06, 03:24 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yet another that took up riding after a bypass- so how is the bypass affecting you? or do you think that the riding has helped on your recovery.

Problem with riding with these youngsters is that once they get "Bike Fit"-- they will be pushing you a bit hard- Easy way out is to doctor his bike for the next ride- Take 10psi out of the tyres he is going to ride- just to prove you can make it up the hills, where he will struggle.

I ride with a 42 year old on the Tandem and these youngsters are fit. Mind you- they don't always have the stamina, so sort a ride out that stays within his distance capabilities, and you may have a riding partner for a few years to come.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-26-06, 03:41 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is just great. I have only introduced two others to cycling. My wife has stuck with it more or less. The other, bought a bike, rode it several times, hung it on his RV for a trip or two, moved it to his garage and left it there. Oh well.
Old 05-26-06, 04:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Yet another that took up riding after a bypass- so how is the bypass affecting you? or do you think that the riding has helped on your recovery.
I was fortunate in that I apparently had no damage to heart muscles. Other than effects of the Beta-blocker holding me back a little, I feel great. I definitely think biking has helped my recovery. I have no restrictions from my cardiologist or my family doctor.

Good idea on fixing the bike for the next ride. I was a little proud of myself that I was breathing easier than him after the ride. Since I am nearly 20 years older, I'd better enjoy victory while I can.
Old 05-26-06, 04:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all who have replied. Your kind words and interest are greatly appreciated. I have been lurking here for quite a while and feel I know many of you from reading your posts. I have learned a great deal reading the many discussions here on BFN.

I am in awe of the accomplishments many of you have made. While I do not ride nearly the miles you folks are doing, you are all an inspiration to continue.

Thanks again!!