Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Finally fell clipless (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/200994-finally-fell-clipless.html)

sour01 06-03-06 11:06 AM

Finally fell clipless

After riding clipless for over 3 months I thought I was going to be the one who never fell. Well you were right and as promised---I'm telling on myself. Started out on a group ride and we were gathering the group. I wanted to read what was on my friends new saddle and unclipped the right side---but was leaning left. Down I went in front of several people I had just met. How do you like me so far. All had a good laugh and I finally have that "X" in the block. Funny thing was that one other rider also was having trouble clipping in after a quick stop later on and he fell too. I thought it was so considerate of him to do that to make me feel better.

Today's ride was 41 miles and we averaged over 18 mph. I am up to around 100 miles per week now---but really get dropped on the hills. I recover quickly from the hills---but sometimes the distance is too great to make up with the stronger riders. I have no trouble hanging tight on the flats at 20+ mph. I have lost 55 pounds but have been stuck for the last month. I'm hoping that losing the next 25 to 30 pounds will help me on the hills. Any other suggestions? I have my eyes on a century in October.

roccobike 06-03-06 11:41 AM

All I can say, sour01, after riding clipless for a couple of weeks, MY TURN WILL COME!

stapfam 06-03-06 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by sour01
After riding clipless for over 3 months I thought I was going to be the one who never fell. Well you were right and as promised---I'm telling on myself. Started out on a group ride and we were gathering the group. I wanted to read what was on my friends new saddle and unclipped the right side---but was leaning left. Down I went in front of several people I had just met. How do you like me so far. All got a good laugh and I finally have that "X" in the block. Funny thing was that one other rider also was having trouble clipping in after a quick stop later on and he fell too. I thought it was so considerate of him to do that to make me feel better.

Today's ride was 41 miles and we averaged over 18 mph. I am up to around 100 miles per week now---but really get dropped on the hills. I recover quickly from the hills---but sometimes the distance is too great to make up with the stronger riders. I have no trouble hanging tight on the flats at 20+ mph. I have lost 55 pounds but have been stuck for the last month. I'm hoping that losing the next 25 to 30 pounds will help me on the hills. Any other suggestions? I have my eyes on a century in October.

The rider that never falls has not been born yet. On the hills- They never get easier- They just take less time.

garth 06-03-06 06:27 PM

I think you're doing just fine

For a guy that just started riding clipless three months ago and now has no trouble with 20+ mph and is still many pounds overweight.... I would say that you have plenty of potential for improvement. It takes a long time to get the hang of making circles with your legs at high rpm before you get an effortless 100 rpm cadence. Being so new to clipless means that you couldn't possibly be doing the best circles yet, and when you do, you will instantly jump a couple of mph on a fast cruise. Also carrying an extra 25 lbs is slowing you up on the hills in more ways than one. There is the extra cargo which would definitely account for a minute on a ten minute climb, and the element of being less aerodynamic on the flats and maybe your thighs bang into your waist when you get into the drops adding to even more resistance. All in all I would say that when you are comfortable with your technique and carrying less weight, you will a real threat to the so called stronger guys that leave you gasping now.

FarHorizon 06-03-06 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by sour01
After riding clipless for over 3 months I thought I was going to be the one who never fell...

It's never a question of "if," it's a question of when. That's the facts.

p8rider 06-04-06 06:58 AM

Enjoyed your pain this morning. I posted a similar thread in Feb. or March after beginning to ride clipless in Dec. It is never a question of "IF" only "WHEN"!!
By the way, your performance sounds terrific keep it up!

Cyclist0094 06-04-06 07:33 AM

I have bikes with toe clips and clipless ocacsionally I forget which I am on. About 3 weeks ago I was out for a ride on nice sunny day and was rolling up to a stoplight, when a 50ish woman in a convertible said hi to me, distracted my foot forgot I was on clipless pedals and of course I fell right over into the ditch. She got out to check on me and after I assured her I was ok, she quips " Glad to know men still fall for me at 56! "

JagdNeun 06-04-06 08:32 AM

After roadbiking for many years I went to the mountain bike a few months ago. I love it, but the first month or so, I was always hitting the dirt still clipped in or at best, trying to unclip in time. Ive gotten the hang of it now, but mb and clipless make for an interesting transition.

dauphin 06-04-06 11:21 AM

so...yesterday...as I approached an extremely large hill, an errant gear change freaked me out and down I went. Of all my falls this one should have been on video. Some how or another I managed unclip in time to do a really pretty backward roll. It was about the only time I've fallen that hoped someone would see it!

foolish heart 06-05-06 04:43 AM

Welcome to the club, Sour. My first day without clips I didn't fall. And I thought there was nothing to it.

Three months into your clipless pedals. You're far ahead of me. I fell on the second day.

Grampy™ 06-06-06 05:03 PM

I was always told that there are 2 types of people that ride clipless.... Those who have fallen and liars....:D