Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Drafters...........What's your "drafting zone"?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Drafters...........What's your "drafting zone"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-06, 01:10 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry...my lengthy, highly technical, witty and entertaining post somehow didn't make it through the Strait of Hormuz server at BF....and now I forgot what it was. Gotta remember to copy anything I post on our temperamental server.

Let's see, in one sentence here goes. Behind a reliable, known partner (especially if big and broad), I sometimes like to draft maybe 18 inches off his wheel. For others I'll drift back farther. When I get back something over a wheel length, there seems no point. Assuming a frontal breeze or even a calm, where do others find themselves tucking in?
Old 06-04-06, 01:26 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GrannyGear
Sorry...my lengthy, highly technical, witty and entertaining post somehow didn't make it through the Strait of Hormuz server at BF....and now I forgot what it was. Gotta remember to copy anything I post on our temperamental server.

Let's see, in one sentence here goes. Behind a reliable, known partner (especially if big and broad), I sometimes like to draft maybe 18 inches off his wheel. For others I'll drift back farther. When I get back something over a wheel length, there seems no point. Assuming a frontal breeze or even a calm, where do others find themselves tucking in?
On my ride this morning I tried training a rider to draft. Actually got him to within 2ft of my rear wheel but no way will he come closer. I noted that once I got him to ride at a consistent pace- I was drafting 6 " off his rear wheel. Just off the line of his wheel in case he did anything, but I was Ok with this. I had a friend that I used to ride with all the time. He was stronger than me and we got to know each other inside out. I knew when he was going to slow and I use to ride within that 6" Can never remember having a problem with him, and for the few occasions I took the lead, he never had a problem with me. Same on abreast riding. The number of times we used to touch bars and we never even thought about it. With the group I am now with- If I get within 6" of their bars- they panic and fly off at 90 degrees. and as to Drafting with them- they are too inconsistent on pace to even attempt it.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-04-06, 03:01 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Because I am neither smooth, graceful, coordinated, nor predictable, I don't draft others, and I discourage others from drafting me. As we said in the late 1960s, "say no to the draft."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-04-06, 05:28 PM
On the road again

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I've done a bit of riding with the person I'll get within 6-10 inches of their wheel always trying to stay a bit off center left, in case we brush I know which way to go. If it is someone I don't know well, will stay 12 inches or more behind until I get a feel for their riding style and then will creep up a bit. With folks I know, I know they will be sharp and will will point out any holes or debris, also will inform me of anything up a head that will cause a change in pace. On a steep hill will back off and let everyone work at their own pace, form back up ath the top.
Old 06-04-06, 05:28 PM
On the road again

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I've done a bit of riding with the person I'll get within 6-10 inches of their wheel always trying to stay a bit off center left, in case we brush I know which way to go. If it is someone I don't know well, will stay 12 inches or more behind until I get a feel for their riding style and then will creep up a bit. With folks I know, I know they will be sharp and will will point out any holes or debris, also will inform me of anything up a head that will cause a change in pace. On a steep hill will back off and let everyone work at their own pace, form back up ath the top.
Old 06-04-06, 06:18 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
For me it somewhat depends on the "purpose of the ride", people I'm riding with and the terrain. Generally with folks I know I'm tucked in about as close as you can get and still react to speed changes. I've never really thought about it but it's definitely a lot less than a foot. Every once in a while I'll even "bump" tires with the fellow ahead of me....not intentionally of course but just a slight nudge. I'm always very conscious of crossing wheels and I work really hard to make sure that's not an issue. I also drop back a good bit on descents and give folks a lot more room as well.

With folks I might meet out on the road doing organized rides I'm probably around a foot or so.
Old 06-04-06, 06:45 PM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With my normal riding partner we about 4"-6" with the bigger group rides i usually stay 8"-12" depending on how the rider in front of me is riding, # of lights on the route etc. So far no touches.
Old 06-04-06, 09:05 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I know 'em, about 6" and slightly off line in case they stand...... If I don't know them 12 - 18" if they look like they know what they are doing, otherwise I stay away. It's not worth it.
Old 06-04-06, 09:10 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
6 inches behind my regular ride partners, slightly left. Since I'm big and ride more upright, they tuck in close and coast, the slackers.
Old 06-05-06, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Just keep in mind that drafting is OK but wheel sucking is rude.
Old 06-05-06, 05:14 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
About the same as most replies. Within a foot for familiar and trusted riders, 1 to 2 feet for unknown riders if they ride consistently and it feels right. Any sign of squirreliness and I drop back or pull away.
Also, if the train starts to gather too many riders, I drop out. I've seen 20+ bike pacelines form on the Bicycle Ride Across Georgia. The accordian effect gets so bad at the back, it is harder than riding solo, not to mention the danger of a 20 bike bile-up.
Old 06-07-06, 01:32 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geez, 6 inches!! I've been riding for a bit over a year now, almost all solo. I have trouble imagining getting that close to someone's wheel. Not to mention that one one of the guys that I work with, a serious triathlete and biker, just separated his shoulder on his last bike ride when the person in front of him went down. I admit pacelines sound like fun, but ...
Old 06-07-06, 04:28 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by nmichell
Geez, 6 inches!! I've been riding for a bit over a year now, almost all solo. I have trouble imagining getting that close to someone's wheel. Not to mention that one one of the guys that I work with, a serious triathlete and biker, just separated his shoulder on his last bike ride when the person in front of him went down. I admit pacelines sound like fun, but ...
I'm with you nmichell. The question of drafting comes up all the time and I read (seems like people brag a bit) about how close they can get to someone else. I ride by myself these days so it really doesn't even apply to me. Seems there are an equal number of threads where prayers are requested for some guy who got his lights put out when someone else went down/bumped/hit something/etc. Not meaning to be cruel, just calling it like I see it.

I guess the risk/reward ratio is satisfactory for those who do this.

I used to fly aerobatics. It was a lot more fun at low altitude because you had a much greater sense of speed. On the other hand...............

"...and then the wheels came off"

Last edited by Monoborracho; 08-21-07 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-07-06, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't draft with strangers at all--I've seen two really bad crashes caused by unpredictable paceline behavior, and I'm not going to get caught up in one. I don't even draft my wife, who's a pretty strong rider but has a tendency to slow down without warning to look at cows and things.
With people I know, three or four guys I've ridden with for years, I hang about a foot back. Closer would probably be better, but we're JRA, so what's it matter?