Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Time trial personal best tainted...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

AAARRGGGHHHHH! OK, now that I've got that out of my system, I'll see if I can compose myself enough to find words.

This afternoon I rode my weekly 11 mile time trial course. I was so pleased that today I achieved my personal best with an average speed of 20.6 mph. I know that for many of you this is not that big a deal, but for me it's an accomplishment that has eluded me for the past year.

Full of satisfaction, dripping with sweat, and eager to find someone to share this with, I dash through the back door, find my wife and say, "Guess what? I just did my personal best on my time trial today!" My lovely bride did not share my joy. Rather, I'm rebuffed with the comment, "You sound just like your father." Now I know that she's not referring to the many admirable qualities he has. No, she is referring to one of his less commendable traits, that of sometimes being loud as a way to gain attention and seek personal affirmation that he is indeed a creature with which one must reckon.

Well, it matters not if her comment was intentional. The effect was as if it were. The air that was filling my sails, suddendly was gone. Damn, I hate the fact that she is probably right on most occassions. I can be like my father. Afterall we carry the same genetic stock. But not today. It was a genuine thrill to reach this personal best. Why do the ghosts of our parents come back to haunt us?
Old 06-13-06, 04:04 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Congratulations on your accomplishment!

Whether or not you have bad faults in common with someone, don't let it destroy the joy of your accomplishment.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-13-06, 04:27 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats on your fine ride. If we hit the road together you'd drop me like an ugly date or as someone in another thread wrote, "like a hot rock in a hot rock dropping contest."

More to the point, as Shakespeare said centuries ago, "The course of true love never did run smooth." Seems pretty universal from what I can gather.
Old 06-13-06, 06:05 PM
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is quite obvious that you are *indeed* the Man and have every reason to be loud and proud.
Old 06-13-06, 06:37 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Way to go. Setting a personal best is sooooo fulfilling. Enjoy the moment, it's yours.
Old 06-13-06, 06:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time trialing is intense and, if you're doing it right, downright unpleasant. It takes discipline, and to set a personal best is indeed an accomplishment to be proud of. Great job.

Consider trying workouts of 3 minutes at 22-23 mph followed by 5 min. of recovery after a thorough warm-up. Do 3-4 of them or until you can no longer hold speed for the entire 3 min. Then ride home easily. Do this 2 times a week, say Tuesday and Thursday with easy recovery days in between. Do your 11 mi. TT on Sunday. As you get even stronger, do 5 min. "on" with 3 min. recovery periods.

The idea is to do short distances at higher than race pace to stress your body, allowing for just partial recovery between efforts. Easy days between intense workouts are very important as that's when the bodys' adaptation to the stress takes place. Ride with very little effort on recovery days, focusing on a nice smooth spin of 90-100 rpm.

If you stay with it you'll see your PB times come down and ave. speeds go up. Good luck.
Old 06-13-06, 08:15 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride. It's pretty difficult, though, for non-bikers to show much appeciation for your biking successes. I've got a little 14 mile loop that I ride regularly, and I managed to break 18mph for the 1st time last weekend. My wife is pretty supportive of my cycling, but that particular statistic just wouldn't have registered with her. Now if I've got results showing that my blood pressure and cholesterol are going down, she very happy to hear that
Old 06-13-06, 08:20 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nmichell
My wife is pretty supportive of my cycling, but that particular statistic just wouldn't have registered with her. Now if I've got results showing that my blood pressure and cholesterol are going down, she very happy to hear that
Yeah, my wife would be more appreciative of this too. I guess it's important to keep things in perspective. Sometimes my helmet staps are too tight and I get a distorted view that cycling is everything.
Old 06-13-06, 08:39 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88
Sometimes my helmet staps are too tight and I get a distorted view that cycling is everything.
Great. I've got seven bikes, and now ya tell me.
Old 06-14-06, 07:28 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Terrific job NOS!!! Individual Time Trialing is indeed the Race of Truth!! Very, very good job of having a "target" that you're working towards and surpassing it. Enjoy and relish in the achievement!!! You deserve the recognition from setting a target and working diligently on it.

I would agree wholeheartedly about the genetic thing. I much better understand my Dad today than I did 20 years ago. I just look at my kids, and particularly my son who has many of the same personality traits and just shake my head.....
Old 06-14-06, 08:29 AM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My father had a LOT of less than admirable traits but I wouldn't mind being compared to him in any case because I loved him nonetheless.

20.6 mph is FAST. Don't let anyone tell you differently. I've managed one 50 mile ride at an average of 21 mph and while true that a good portion of it was downwind, the first portion climbed over three good rises on Highway 1. I admit that there was the inducement of a beer and pizza at the end of the ride but let's not discuss that.....
Old 06-14-06, 08:45 AM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Great job on the ride! My wife also is tired of hearing about my rides. She'd rather hear me talk about painting the dining room and mowing the lawn.
Old 06-14-06, 08:50 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
20.6 mph is FAST. Don't let anyone tell you differently. I've managed one 50 mile ride at an average of 21 mph and while true that a good portion of it was downwind, the first portion climbed over three good rises on Highway 1. I admit that there was the inducement of a beer and pizza at the end of the ride but let's not discuss that.....

You know I was in Philadelphia this past Sunday and watched the pros race the 156 mile Commerce Bank Triple Crown, and the average speed was 29.76 MPH, and they had to climb the 17% grade "wall" in Manayunk 10 times. I'm not so sure that 20.6 MPH on a flat course is all that fast. I mean these guys climb that fast. But, I'm not a pro, never was, and must be content with being a mere mortal.