Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

It's been a remarkable journey so far!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-06, 04:15 PM

Bikes: 06 Bacchetta Giro 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This past January I bought my first bike in over 40 yrs. In those 40 yrs I doubt I rode a total of 10 miles on bikes. Then in January I started preparing for a charity ride I was invited to participate in which was 550 miles in 6 days. First order was to get a decent road bike. I chose a Trek Pilot 2.1 SPA. My first ride was 12 miles long and I was exhausted and sore. Yesterday, I rode 160 miles and still felt relatively good. (If I'd had a couple hours more daylight, I'd have done the double century) The ride that got me into cycling is two weeks past. Before that event, I wondered what my attitude toward cycling would be once that driving motivation was history. I'm happy to report I'm totally committed to this wonderful sport and way of life! When I first started, I hated the hills and headwinds. I hated the sometimes foul weather. Now, I may not always love them, but we've come to an understanding and I just use them to make me stronger. There's really something special about putting my motor into play with those cranks, rings, chain etc. and coming up with something better than the sum of the parts. For all those years of playing with motorized toys, I had lots of fun, but I never felt the connection between man and machine that I do today. Added to that, I'll admit to a little pride in feeling the muscles grow and harden and the knowledge of cycling slowly accumulate as well. Much of that I owe to the vast amount of information you all are so willing to share with newbies like me. Yes, it's been a remarkable journey so far, and many more miles to go.
Old 08-12-06, 10:38 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Terrific story and I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. I know that I wouldn't keep biking if it wasn't fun. Doing 550 miles in 6 days is pretty impressive, but I have to say, being off a bike for 40 years and doing 12 miles on your first ride is more than I could have done
Old 08-12-06, 11:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me get this straight...

You went from "zero" to 160 miles/day in less than 9 month's time? And you did it with inspiration from Tommy Lasorda???

I don't know which feat is more impressive!!!

Big Paulie
(SF Giants Fan Since 1958)

Last edited by Big Paulie; 08-13-06 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-13-06, 01:20 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Paulie

Big Paulie
I daresay Hawkijohn, you are no longer a newbie....not by about 550 miles. Great.

Paulie.......I might have seen you at Seal Stadium. Remember Sam Jones...I patted him on the back after he almost got a no-hitter. Remember the humongous Hamm's beer sign across the street? I still miss Russ Hodges. I had Mike McCormack's autograph...also Stu Miller's (famous for his "junk ball"). Peanuts were, I believe, $.10 the bag. You got to exit the stadium by walking across the infield and out under the scoreboard. Couldn't even buy a loaf of bread today for the price of a ticket then. Come back Hobie Landreth.
Old 08-13-06, 02:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
Paulie.......I might have seen you at Seal Stadium. Remember Sam Jones...I patted him on the back after he almost got a no-hitter. Remember the humongous Hamm's beer sign across the street? I still miss Russ Hodges. I had Mike McCormack's autograph...also Stu Miller's (famous for his "junk ball"). Peanuts were, I believe, $.10 the bag. You got to exit the stadium by walking across the infield and out under the scoreboard. Couldn't even buy a loaf of bread today for the price of a ticket then. Come back Hobie Landreth.
I won't reply to this great message in detail because I don't want to let the thread (and the Bike Forum) dissolve into old farts talking about baseball...but thanks for the memories, CC!
Old 08-13-06, 06:34 AM

Bikes: 06 Bacchetta Giro 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie

You went from "zero" to 160 miles/day in less than 9 month's time? And you did it with inspiration from Tommy Lasorda???

I don't know which feat is more impressive!!!

Big Paulie
I like the quote but I'm not a Dodgers fan.....REDBIRDS since 1964! (beat the yanks in 7)
Gotta admit that backwards roll Tommy did several yrs ago (was it an old timers game?) was a classic!

Yes, I'm really lovin the cycling. I'm also thinking about trying a tandem. My thirteen yr old daughter loves to spend time with Dad but our speeds don't mesh too well on the road. Seems like a great way to even things out.