Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

In the blink of an eye...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-24-06, 12:20 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts

42 miles into a 55miler with a group I ride with perhaps 5x/yr and 4 of us 50+ got 30minutes ahead of the rest of the group trying to get back before it hit 12N. This was an area I had never ridden and we approached a moderately steep 0.5mi long down hill that curved to the right. Just before the two cyclists in front by 100yds or so disappeared around the curve, a small dog ran out and then flipped head over heels backward got up and ran off. I didn't see the cyclist dog collision but that is never a good thing for the cyclist and a deep sinking sensation occurred as I rolled around the curve and found one of the cyclists on the road, bike 15' uphill off the road. He had to doing 35-40mph when he hit the dog. Bicyclist was unconcious for about 5 min before he started thrashing around. He never came completely around but by arrival of the EMS was able to give his first name and was obviously moving everything. Later incomplete report suggests ribs and clavicle fracture. He had no idea what happened, and for that matter never ever will. Major, even minor concussions are like that. In just 2-3 seconds a major unforeseen interlude occurred in this man's life. You just don't know how good things are sometimes.
The strange thing is none of us knew each other's name beyond first names. All of us had just met that morning. He was just a John Doe til he came around further. I need to get some sort of ID that is in an obvious spot, can't think exactly where right now, wallets are too bulky, clothing sometimes is cut away, his helmet was left on the scene.
Steve
Old 06-24-06, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Dog owners have a responsibility to keep their dogs under control. Hope the rider recovers, gets a lawyer and recovers any damages and compensation for pain and suffering from the negligent dog owner. In terms of ID, consider an ankle or wrist bracelet with your infor on it. That way it stays with you and not the bike.
Old 06-24-06, 02:14 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I got a "RoadID" tag with my name, emergency phone #, "no allergies," and my insurance co. name & account #. It hangs around my neck every time I cycle. I've never needed it yet (close, but not yet), but it is comfortable to have. If you don't want to cough up the $$ for the fancy version, I understand that you can have the same tag made at any vet shop.
Old 06-24-06, 02:20 PM
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I need to get some sort of ID that is in an obvious spot."

I have thought of an insert that pulls out of your wallet. I would put my drivers license, credit card and cash. This could be pulled out of wallet and put in wedge under seat. Are there wallets like that?
Old 06-24-06, 03:04 PM
Love to ride!

Bikes: 2010 Allegra 2X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go with Roadid, they have several types of id you can choose from. I have wrist band with name and cell phone numbers.

A good company to go with!
https://www.roadid.com/
Old 06-24-06, 05:09 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I put my business card in my saddle bag with all the info that is needed......included blood type.

Animals are one of my biggest fears while riding. I know too many folks where dogs have gotten under their wheels, Also, there are tons of deer in the mountains and subject to jumping out in the road on a moments notice. You really have to be on guard.

Last edited by jppe; 06-24-06 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-24-06, 06:47 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
I have an address label inside my helmet but my experience today shows that separating the bike and rider with major injuries to the rider the bike is left and no one even looked at it, much less searched it for an ID or wallet. If something looks broke the the first thing first responders do is get out the scissors and cut everything away so anything in pockets could end up somewhere else. I think a necklace or bracelet might be the best option. I did call the ER (major trauma center) 35-40mi from the ride site later and told them what the significance of the note given to paramedics: location of his bike and helmet etc. The Rn at the trauma center wondered what the note was for. I kicked myself later for not telling them where his car was parked so his family could retrieve it. It may take him a day or so to remember himself.
Steve
Old 06-24-06, 08:00 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cruzMOKS
"I need to get some sort of ID that is in an obvious spot."

I have thought of an insert that pulls out of your wallet. I would put my drivers license, credit card and cash. This could be pulled out of wallet and put in wedge under seat. Are there wallets like that?

I print out a card that has emergency Info, laminated it with packaging tape and carry copie in saddle bag. Also carry a few $1 bills and a $20.
Old 06-24-06, 11:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least the nation's law enforcement officials are on the case when it comes to cyclist
IDs...

https://www.houstonpress.com/Issues/2...hairballs.html
Old 06-25-06, 07:00 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Check this out.
Old 06-25-06, 11:13 AM
Legs sore, butt sorer

Bikes: Old Bianchi Main Street, new Dynamic Tempo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
At least the nation's law enforcement officials are on the case when it comes to cyclist
IDs...

https://www.houstonpress.com/Issues/2...hairballs.html
When you say "the nation" I take it you're referring to the Republic of Texas?