Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Surgery - Prep No Problem But then Recovery suggestions for staying in shape

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 03:40 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

First time under the knife. I am having a hernia repaired that resulted from impaling myself on the end of my mountain bike handlebars - shattering the sternum and tearing a 1" x 3" hole into the abdominal cavity. I'm told I was very lucky not to have a cardiac event, ruptured spleen and/or liver. I believe them.

I've been riding my touring bike lately and occasionally my mountian bike wearing a pressure suit for protection. They are going to repair the hole and place mesh over it (carbon I hope). I will not be allowed out on my bike for four weeks, but can ride stationary all I want.

So, what do you guys suggest for a good workout on a stationary bike? An hour in the morning and an hour in the evening or two hours once a day?

My alternative suggestion to the surgeon was to just graft a nipple on it and put a ring in. I would have three small breats. No go!
Old 07-06-06, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Why not mix your stationary trainer rides up? Do two 1-hours sessions a few times a week, a longer session thrown in a few times, and as you get closer to healing some shorter/harder sessions. I'm gald they're going to be able to do a repair job, and hope your recovery is full and quick.
Old 07-06-06, 03:59 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fthomas
I've been riding my touring bike lately and occasionally my mountian bike wearing a pressure suit for protection. They are going to repair the hole and place mesh over it (carbon I hope). I will not be allowed out on my bike for four weeks, but can ride stationary all I want.

So, what do you guys suggest for a good workout on a stationary bike? An hour in the morning and an hour in the evening or two hours once a day?

My alternative suggestion to the surgeon was to just graft a nipple on it and put a ring in. I would have three small breats. No go!
Sorry to hear about the accident- but glad to see recovery is on the way. After a couple of Ops a few years ago, I found that the body gave out fairly quickly and I had to get on the bike- or down the Gym to exercise the parts of me that were going to waste. When I had the Bypass- I was back on the bike fairly quickly- short rides initially but I found that I had to get a more upright position. Change of bars and a shorter stem worked that for me but the bigger problem came with scar tissue pulling. Even had that with the prostate op aswell. I found I had to do stretching exercises to stretch around the scars- otherwise the scar shrinkage pulled me in too much. Ever tried riding with the shoulders being pulled forwards and in in by what seemed 3" or a stomach that has a wide belt on it that gradually tightens as if on a one way ratchet. (Nevers loosened up once it started)

If you find it difficult to exercise due to the op- Exercise some other part of the body. Shoulder exercises to build up the upper body. Calf exercises to build up the legs. Walking to the pie shop to exercise the Diet. Any form of exercise will help- but stationery riding or down the Gym seems your best bet. Start off gently and just do what you want to initially. Then by the end of 4 weeks you will be ready to go out and blast the hills.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-07-06, 07:40 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mate, You worry to much. When I had my knees replaced my ortho
doc told me to excercise on my stationary everyday but not to push.
He told me that the speed didn't matter that much it was the activity
the pumped blood through my system that helped the healing.

That said, ride the stationary to keep muscle tone and cardio condtion
at a normal pace for as long as you want to. Stiring the blood it what's
really important here not working up a sweat.

It been proven a good long slow walk (or ride) is as good as 1/4 mile
run so take it easy and heal right.
Old 07-07-06, 12:27 PM
Fred E Fenders

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the input! I was very fortunate that the sternum healed on it's own. They thought they were going to have to wire it together similar to what is done when the chest is cracked for a bypass (stapfam).

I have never had surgery with the exception of a cyst removed while living in Hong Kong. Strange experience when no one in the OR except the surgeon and you speak English and they were playing Cantonese Pop (Canto Pop) over a stereo system - weird when going under the anethesia.

I'm a bit nervous about the surgery and more concerned about the short term impact on my physical condition as I have a desire to get back into pre accident shape.

Thanks for your input!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-06, 03:37 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fthomas

I'm a bit nervous about the surgery and more concerned about the short term impact on my physical condition as I have a desire to get back into pre accident shape.

Thanks for your input!!!!!!!
Little story-- Had the bypass out of necessity and came out of Hospital after 5 days. spent a week just walking about- round to the shops- round to friends and round the garden- but in a great deal of pain. 2nd sunday I was out- My riding buddie came round and took me for a ride- up and down the road- 200yards and I was shattered and in pain on the chest. Following week he came round with a Riser bar and a shorter stem. Still in pain but I did 5 miles but very slowly.Gradually increased the distance and effort and at 9 weeks after the op, I did a 40 mile charity ride that took in a lot of hills and to be honest- If I had known how hard it was I would have put in a bit more practice. Got to the end of the ride and felt fantastic. Only point was that I took of my SPD Shoes- put on a pair of flat shoes- stood up and got shin splints. Painfull.

The body will recover and you can do exercise to get it back into trim. Only problem will be mental and the muscles you forgot to exercise. Don't worry about either but make certain that the mental side is positive to get back riding as soon as you can. Oh and don't make your first real ride a 40 miler.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-07-06, 03:52 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
remember to ice

my 'partner' the physical therapist has worked many years in orthopedics, industrial injury, surgical part of the hospital, etc. When I had hernia repair, she made me ice the surgical site twice a day for 20 minutes. Amazing how the soreness & swelling went away! Even 3 months later when, post-exercise, my groin would ache, she'd have me sitting in a chair with an icepack on it for 20 minutes. Worked every time.
Old 07-07-06, 04:50 PM
Fred E Fenders

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
Little story-- Had the bypass out of necessity ........

The body will recover and you can do exercise to get it back into trim. Only problem will be mental and the muscles you forgot to exercise. Don't worry about either but make certain that the mental side is positive to get back riding as soon as you can. Oh and don't make your first real ride a 40 miler.
Thanks so much for relating your experiences, which mine pales by comparison!!!! The suggestions are taken to heart (pun intended) and are much appreciated!!!! I'm going to do the ice thing - Centexwoody. It will be great to get rid of this third breast just below the sternum. Looks funny and isn't to comfortable!

I am publicly deciding to invoke a Digital Gee -------------- No Negative Thinking!

Armstrong's book says: "It Isn't About the Bike!"
Old 07-07-06, 11:11 PM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
I had a hernia repair a few years ago & pre-op, my surgeon said I was ok to ride whenever I thought I was up for it. Sooo, I started riding the grandaughter's mixte around the neighborhood on day 4, I made a very quick recovery & I think riding the step thru bike really helped. Didn't go back to my road bike for about a month & a half though. When you are OK to ride, try a step thru to begin with. Don