Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Checking-in (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/207434-checking.html)

RockyMtnMerlin 06-30-06 01:18 PM

Checking-in

Well I have not been around much for the past couple of weeks. I am the technical director for the Dead Dog Classic stage race and the last two weeks have been very hectic. Race was 24-25 June. 400 racers. After all the planning was done a forest fire broke out not too far from the start finish and due to heavy equimpment using the part of the same road as the race, we had to change the road race course. Man what a pain to do with only 36 hours between decision and start time! We did get it done and had perfect weather for all three stages of the race. A racer in the 45+ category suffered an apparent heart attack but now looks like he is going to be okay. No other major injuries.
I did manage to get in some rides during the frenzied week and had a good 60 miler today. I like to watch bicyle racing, but those men and women have to dedicate way too much time and effort for my tastes. They seem to thrive on it though. Given the tremendous amount of work that goes into a race and seeing what is going on in the lead up to the TdF makes one wonder if it is all worth it.

Raketmensch 06-30-06 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
I like to watch bicyle racing, but those men and women have to dedicate way too much time and effort for my tastes. They seem to thrive on it though. Given the tremendous amount of work that goes into a race and seeing what is going on in the lead up to the TdF makes one wonder if it is all worth it.

Actually, with the news that's coming out of France today, one has to feel that what you were part of is where the real beauty of the sport lies. At the highest levels, where the money is, it seems that a substantial fraction of the "great" riders -- whatever their talents may be -- are liars and cheats. I've got a lot more respect for a Cat 2/3 racer who busts his gut every day because he loves the sport than for a pro who's doped to his eyeballs and lying about it.

stapfam 06-30-06 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Raketmensch
Actually, with the news that's coming out of France today, one has to feel that what you were part of is where the real beauty of the sport lies. At the highest levels, where the money is, it seems that a substantial fraction of the "great" riders -- whatever their talents may be -- are liars and cheats. I've got a lot more respect for a Cat 2/3 racer who busts his gut every day because he loves the sport than for a pro who's doped to his eyeballs and lying about it.

Doesn't matter what sport you choose- The real sport is amongst the amateurs and club members. As soon as money gets involved- greed comes in at an alarming rate.
Going back to a sport where I was one of the Top- Kart Racing- We were completely amateur. Some drivers had more money than others but it made no difference. It was still skill and expertise that won through. There were rules- and They were made to be "Bent" but never broken. Just make certain that the bending did not break.

Many years ago and I think it was the American Olympics, but it was when Seb Coe was racing, I heard Steve Cram talking about Blood transfusions just before a race. The competitor would have a pint of blood taken about a week before a race- and have it put back 3 hrs before the race. Nothing illegal about it at that time but it would have given the Runner an advantage. A pint extra of Ogygen carrier in the body would help anyone. Don't know how prevalent it was- but Steve Cram did point out to look out for the plaster on the inside of the elbow. Saw quite after he pointed it out.

Cycling, athletics and any other extreme physical sport has a tarnished name. Someone appears who is good and the natural conclusion is "What drug is he on" Unfortunately- It is probably one that a detection test has not been developed yet.

Baggsy 06-30-06 02:08 PM

During the senior olympics, just after the 40K roadrace, I was in the parking lot licking my wounds and trying to stay somewhat vertical. One of the older guys cruised by without a drop of sweat on his brow, and asked how I did..."Not worth a darn I'm afraid!" was my reply. He looked about at what was at least 20 other racers within earshot and shouted out...

"I THINK THEY'RE ALL ON JUICE!!!" which got everyone's attention and my mouth flew open at such an open accusation of wrong doing...then he added...

"PRUNE JUICE!!!"

The smiles and laughter returned to everyone at that point...

jppe 06-30-06 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Baggsy
During the senior olympics, just after the 40K roadrace, I was in the parking lot licking my wounds and trying to stay somewhat vertical. One of the older guys cruised by without a drop of sweat on his brow, and asked how I did..."Not worth a darn I'm afraid!" was my reply. He looked about at what was at least 20 other racers within earshot and shouted out...

"I THINK THEY'RE ALL ON JUICE!!!" which got everyone's attention and my mouth flew open at such an open accusation of wrong doing...then he added...

"PRUNE JUICE!!!"

The smiles and laughter returned to everyone at that point...

That's funny!!