Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mexican food is gonna be the death of me!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-06, 07:39 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I been feeling pretty good the last few days, my weight peaked out at 251 about 10 days ago and has dropped now to 244. I rode 25 miles this morning between the thunderstorms . I was looking forward to a light dinner when SWMBO begs to go out for Mexican. Okay I thought I can do this I'll have the chips and salsa and a side of rice. SWMBO wants her usual cheese and chicken enchilada, but the menu has changed!
So being the loving mate and martyr that I am I suggested we split the enclilada platter. She can have the chicken and cheese and I will eat the bean and beef.
Arrghhh! two enchildadas and 1/2 a side of beans I was stuffed! I felt so guilty when I got home I went out and rode another 20 miles. I still feel stuffed.
I dare not enter the bathroom the scale in there stares at me, taunting me...............
Old 07-02-06, 07:54 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmmm... thanks for reminding me that I haven't had Mex in a long time.

"Honey - we're goin' out!"
Old 07-02-06, 08:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velonomad
I been feeling pretty good the last few days, my weight peaked out at 251 about 10 days ago and has dropped now to 244. I rode 25 miles this morning between the thunderstorms . I was looking forward to a light dinner when SWMBO begs to go out for Mexican. Okay I thought I can do this I'll have the chips and salsa and a side of rice. SWMBO wants her usual cheese and chicken enchilada, but the menu has changed!
So being the loving mate and martyr that I am I suggested we split the enclilada platter. She can have the chicken and cheese and I will eat the bean and beef.
Arrghhh! two enchildadas and 1/2 a side of beans I was stuffed! I felt so guilty when I got home I went out and rode another 20 miles. I still feel stuffed.
I dare not enter the bathroom the scale in there stares at me, taunting me...............
Velonomad and Big Paulie...separated at birth!!!

Last edited by Big Paulie; 07-02-06 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-02-06, 08:36 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I'm right there with you on the Mexican food thing. Just keep bringing it and I'll keep eating it......If you want to throw in some margaritas that is fine with me.

The next few days are rough going though getting the weight back in check.
Old 07-02-06, 11:18 PM
Yet another vegan biker

Bikes: Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Okay I thought I can do this I'll have the chips and salsa and a side of rice.
Mexican food can really be slimming. I often have huge taco salads -- lots of salsa, onions, peppers, lettuce and with about a cup of kidney beans, a shredded softshell tortilla and a few chips. In fact it was a regular meal as I dropped from the 317 I weighed in January of 2005 to the 215 I'm at today.
Old 07-03-06, 12:40 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by silversmith
Mexican food can really be slimming.
Especially if it goes straight through you. Sennapods work just aswell.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-03-06, 12:59 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lay off the starches & enjoy a grilled steak, salad, salsa - here in TX we're finally getting Mexican food restaurants that offer non-starchy entrees with 'barracho beans' instead of refried, avocado/lettuce/tomato salad instead of rice, a thin grilled porterhouse beefsteak or thin chuleta.

it's all the fried stuff that kills the calorie-counting...
Old 07-03-06, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
No, you're on the right path. More miles is the answer. Oh, but wait. I guess that depends on if you eat to ride or ride to eat. Mexcian, Italian, French, Chinese, Greek, PA Dutch...... I've got a weak spot for all of 'em.
Old 07-03-06, 02:40 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
History professor used to tell us Mexico's food was the reason it was never a world power. He didn't appreciate any discussion that climate may also have played a factor.
Old 07-03-06, 02:40 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
One of my biggest concerns in moving to Arkansas was a lack of good Mexican food. I knew I had nothing to fear several days after arriving when I heard an SUV with Norteño music blasting. There are a number locally. Señor Tequila's is great. I want to check out some that advertise on the local Univision, like Super Taqueria.

But the best Mexican I've ever had is Teresa's Cafe on Towne St. in Indio, CA. It's a hole in the wall, but it's been around for over 50 years. The food is completely authentic. They even still use lard.

Second best is Macario's on Indio Blvd. in Indio. More civilized with killer margaritas and a guitarist, it's where we usually took visitors.