Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Celebration. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/209308-celebration.html)

stapfam 07-08-06 11:11 AM

Celebration.

3 Attachment(s)
Lots to celebrate at present. My eldest daughter never enjoyed school and since leaving drifted from Job to job and could not find the right one. 2 years ago she went into floristry and decided off her own back to get qualifications. Went to College one day a week and it has paid off. Finished top of her year- went forward to regional finals and has won that and now goes onto the Nationals. She now has a job she enjoys- works for a decent governor and has already had a few Other shops trying to poach her.

Youngest daughter has been at University for 4 years. Just taken her finals and on top of that- has been voted Business graduate of her year and is being accepted as an honorary member of Brighton Chamber of commerce.

Bar-B-Que time tonight so the "New" bike shed has received a make-over. The area outside the shed has been tranformed as a standing area so I can now prepare the bikes in a little more comfort. To keep the wife happy there is also has a Planting area and pergola. It is now officially part of the Garden so I shall probably not have to keep it clean myself. Lots of hard work accomplished in just a week of evenings work so everyones happy- Except for me as I was hoping to spend the Make-over money on some new bike bits.

Tomorrows ride might be taken very slowly avoiding the potholes after the BBQ.

Attachment of the shed just after it was erected and a couple showing the wifes pride and joy

centexwoody 07-08-06 12:00 PM

excellent transformation!

Stapfam:

Your refurbishing & finish-out to the garden shed / pergola shows a lot of hard work. You should be proud of the efforts and results. Very well done & it will be a wonderful place to celebrate the success of your daughters' achievements.

How gratifying it is to have our children 'turn out' on their own paths - makes the worrying, struggles for acceptance, investments of love, tears, time & money seem small compared to the happiness of our progeny. There are no guarantees that this will happen for our children - count your blessings, brother.

This landscape architect approves completely and wonders if the 2x4's spanning the pergola may need reinforcement in future as the climbing vines take over and weigh those skinny members down? Watch for signs of sagging and you'll be able to answer the question.

TW

Digital Gee 07-08-06 12:39 PM

Stapfam,

Your post has taken me by surprise as it really hit home and caused a lump in my throat. You have so much to be proud of, and it's all well-deserved. Your daughters finding their path -- each different, each unique, each just right for them, and each at her own pace. Your shed, your garden, your hard work and dedication to your family.

I really admire you. I enjoy your humor, your insight, your spirit, your so-very-English way of putting things. I look up to you! I'm so glad you're a member of this forum, and that you participate often.

NOS88 07-08-06 02:10 PM

You do indeed have much to celebrate. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm sure the bike bits you were hoping for will somehow find their way into your shed soon.

p8rider 07-08-06 03:06 PM

Celebration indeed!! Well deserved stapfam for you and your daughters. Probably your wife deserves a little credit in there as well.
Your garden is a beautiful piece of work.
I don't dare show the photo's to my wife. She of course wouldn't expect me to accomplish such miracles in our yard. Just pay someone else to accomplish them.

stapfam 07-09-06 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by centexwoody
Stapfam:

This landscape architect approves completely and wonders if the 2x4's spanning the pergola may need reinforcement in future as the climbing vines take over and weigh those skinny members down? Watch for signs of sagging and you'll be able to answer the question.

TW

Already thought of and Timber cut to size and ready to fit. Incidentally Found a new rider last night at the BBQ. One of my eldest daughters friends and the whole family is fit. Father does all sorts of sports and saw the Bikes and started asking questions, prices and suitability of equipment. Not for him though- His 14 year old son. Took the son down the road on the Tandem and he is out next week. His dad is going to kill me now though, because in one of his enebriated moments- He got talked into bringing his son round for a fitting on the Tandem, and whilst that is being done- I might aswell set up the Bianchi for him. He agreed.

Now do I take them up the hard technical steep climb for their first ride or do I just take them out on the flat tracks with a few ruts and slopes? If my head is anything like the way it is this morning- I'll take the flat route.

Nightshade 07-09-06 05:35 AM

Job well done, mate. A sow's ear into a silk purse it is.:D :D :D

centexwoody 07-09-06 10:20 AM

"Now do I take them up the hard technical steep climb for their first ride or do I just take them out on the flat tracks with a few ruts and slopes?"

the 14-yr-old will like the adventure & the dad may get scared off if you do that technical climb before they're confident on the bikes...but you're an old hand at all this so let your intuition (and pounding head) point the way...

centexwoody 07-09-06 05:14 PM

so was the garden admired by all? somewhat off-topic

Stapfam:

so was the garden a smashing success? the perfect backdrop to the celebratory event? most importantly, was your wife delighted with how everything turned out?

out of curiosity, how many folks can you entertain in your garden comfortably? not all sitting down necessarily but how many does it take to 'fill & make a party"?

Tom

jppe 07-09-06 06:03 PM

Very nice with the daughters excellent progress and the gardens as well.

I need to send you some pics of my backyard so you can do a nice designs for me!! Oh yeah, you would need to include a turtle habit as we have an area where my son keeps turtles.

megaman 07-09-06 06:21 PM

How gratifying it is to have our children 'turn out' on their own paths - makes the worrying, struggles for acceptance, investments of love, tears, time & money seem small compared to the happiness of our progeny. There are no guarantees that this will happen for our children - count your blessings, brother.

You've said a mouthful.

Stapfam: Nice work you did on your garden, and congratulations!

stapfam 07-10-06 12:54 AM

Stapfam:

so was the garden a smashing success? the perfect backdrop to the celebratory event? most importantly, was your wife delighted with how everything turned out?

out of curiosity, how many folks can you entertain in your garden comfortably? not all sitting down necessarily but how many does it take to 'fill & make a party"?

Tom

Wife is delighted with the effort she put in to transform the mess that was outside the shed. Had about 50 people in the garden and they got lost basically. Garden is not enormous but has lots of "Rooms" to sit away from other people. Only exception is the BBQ area and this does get crowded just a bit. All those hungry people waiting for burgers, chicken, dog rolls, and the speciality-Lamb.

I was even let off Sunday morning to take the bike out for a spin and when I came back- the work party had cleared everything up. All I have to do is sort the bottles for recycling and there are lots.

JPPE- No problem on sorting the garden but fees are a bit high at present.

HopedaleHills 07-10-06 06:41 AM

Stapfam,

Great job, looks wonderful, you cetainly deserve to be a proud papa. Hey, what's the big mass of plants in the water garden. It looks like a huge bunch of water hyacinths?

bcoppola 07-10-06 07:10 AM

Let me add my voice to the congratulations and good wishes.

As for the garden, wow! Looks like you were visited by Ground Force!