Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Sleep and sleep some more (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/209467-sleep-sleep-some-more.html)

oilfreeandhappy 07-08-06 10:54 PM

Sleep and sleep some more

I rode about 20 miles with my tennis bag draped over my shoulder to hit some tennis with some friends in Loveland, CO. I played 3 sets of Singles, and then rode home.

After that, I couldn't stay awake. Anybody else have this problem? My wife gets upset because I often nod off when we're watching a movie together.

stapfam 07-09-06 02:45 AM

A 20 mile ride is quite enough to send most people to sleep. All you have to do is talk to the wife about the ride and she will be yawning within 2 minutes. To then do a couple of hours of hard physical exersion on top of that and no wonder you are resting with your eyes closed.

Now to get your own back- Turn on the tele and watch the finals of some big sport event and I bet the wife will go out shopping or do the gardening- just so you can rest with a little peace without being nagged about missing the good bits.

DnvrFox 07-09-06 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by oilfreeandhappy
I rode about 20 miles with my tennis bag draped over my shoulder to hit some tennis with some friends in Loveland, CO.

Hey, how about getting together for a Rocky Mountain States ride?

oilfreeandhappy 07-09-06 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Hey, how about getting together for a Rocky Mountain States ride?

I'm not copping out, but between tennis and commuting to work, there's not much left, as I found out yesterday.

Blackberry 07-09-06 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam
Now to get your own back- Turn on the tele and watch the finals of some big sport event and I bet the wife will go out shopping or do the gardening- just so you can rest with a little peace without being nagged about missing the good bits.

Brilliant! I just got back from a long ride. Turning on the golf channel should send da wife on an extended tour of the rose bushes.

megaman 07-09-06 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by oilfreeandhappy
After that, I couldn't stay awake. Anybody else have this problem? My wife gets upset because I often nod off when we're watching a movie together.

Do you fight from falling asleep at other times? Like at work, driving, or eating?

DnvrFox 07-09-06 02:48 PM

You might want to skim through this URL "Daytime sleepiness, including falling asleep at inappropriate times, such as during driving or at work"

NOS88 07-10-06 06:07 AM

I "recharge my battery" about twice a day with little cat naps. Ten to fifteen minutes over the lunch break and the same right after dinner. Help keeps me focused and alert. When I've got to take long car trips (more than 5 hours), I'll pull over for a quick 10 minute snooze and be good for another few hours. My wife and kids don't understand how I can do this. I don't either, but I know it works for me.

sauerwald 07-10-06 09:07 AM

I had a similar thing yesterday - I rode a total of 70 miles - although much of it was pretty slow (shepherding a group fun ride, and I kept dropping to the back to keep an eye on one of the stragglers), very sunny day which I think adds to the fatigue. After riding home, I showered got dressed, had an early dinner which included a couple of beers, then we went upstairs to watch a movie with my wife and POW - snoring through the chick-flick. The good news is that while I was out riding, my wife was out shopping, and I think that since she was feeling guilty for her purchases, there was no criticism of my being so dead to the world.

There is little that feels as good as a full belly and an easy chair after a long ride.

cooker 07-10-06 09:27 AM

They say most North Americans are chronically sleep deprived. Ideally we should all get 8 hours, but most of us don't. I tend to short-change myself during the week and try to compensate by sleeping late on the weekend but it's not the best way to do it. How about you, "oil" could it be your body is simply craving some catchup sleep?

Hask12 09-01-06 06:58 PM

Maybe the movie was boring

CrossChain 09-01-06 07:38 PM

Read a news report that men are far more inclined to fall asleep after sex than women. Perhaps, among other factors of aging.........cycling, golf, and watching tv with your wife replace sex as a means of fulfillment. Explain this to your wife, at least the tv part-- I'm sure she'll be understanding.

oilfreeandhappy 09-01-06 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hask12
Maybe the movie was boring

Most of them are...