Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Angel Island Yesterday

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Angel Island Yesterday

Old 07-09-06, 12:29 PM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 57 Posts
Angel Island Yesterday

Yesterday was sunny and warm in the San Francisco bay area. The usual summer marine layer with fog was nowhere to be found. A couple of friends and I took the ferry to Angel Island and biked around the island.

The ferry was packed to the gills with bikes!

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 07-09-06, 12:42 PM
Perpetually lost

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stan
Judging by the pic of the bikes on the ferry, I'd say you certainly had the nicest bike there. Absolutely gorgeous P'mount!
Old 07-09-06, 02:00 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stan....is the perimeter road around the island still dirt or have they paved it? Haven't been to Angel Island since 1981. Reservations needed for the ferry ride?
Old 07-09-06, 02:42 PM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
Stan,

I'm glad I can't spot your Paramount in that jumble of bikes. What a view! Sure glad you have the triple--- for that certainly must have been quite a climb!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-09-06, 02:51 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
All those mountain bikes to beat up the hills. Many more bikes and I should think the Island ran out of pies. Must be a popular spot to ride in and there must be a reason for that

Can't believe what I just said. All those mountain bikes to beat up the hills. That road bike must be getting too easy to ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-09-06, 07:21 PM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 57 Posts
I was amazed at the interest in the Paramount, mostly from "older" riders. I think the younger riders glanced at it and thought it was aluminum.

The perimeter road is all paved now, although you have to watch for potholes. The sideroads to the Nike batteries and the structures in Hospital Cove are gravel, and it's easy to have the bike slide out from underneath you on those. We stuck mostly to the main road, although we did take a couple of short side trips to check out the Hospital Cove buildings.

Bob, the triple came in really handy; I'm proud to say I didn't walk the bike at all - even on the steepest climbs.

As far as the MTBs are concerned, I was passing them consistently with the triple on the climbs. That's not saying a lot though, since everybody was taking it easy and just enjoying the views and the nice weather.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 07-10-06, 04:05 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
Bob, the triple came in really handy; I'm proud to say I didn't walk the bike at all - even on the steepest climbs.
Stan, you give me hope as I work through the various "opportunities" of making my Paramount NH road worthy after its 16 years as a basket case.

When I was in SF last October I remember looking across from Alcatraz at Angel Island and wondering what was out there. Now I know. Thanks!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-10-06, 09:52 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh

When I was in SF last October I remember looking across from Alcatraz at Angel Island and wondering what was out there. Now I know. Thanks!
Lotsa history is over there. A preserved Civil War post. The shell of a hospital used (as I recall, Stan correct me) to inspect incoming immigrants and as a ward for malaria patients from the Spanish-American war). And the most beautiful views of San Francisco and bridges. I walked the perimeter road several years ago...takes a few hours, more if you stop to admire, inspect, reverie, etc.
Old 07-10-06, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Scooper]I was amazed at the interest in the Paramount, mostly from "older" riders. I think the younger riders glanced at it and thought it was aluminum. [QUOTE]

For my money the chrome Paramounts were some of the best looking bikes ever. Anyone who can't tell the difference between aluminum and those great chrome jobs is not to be trusted!