Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Stoked! Fairly clean bill of health...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Stoked! Fairly clean bill of health...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by old99
Best visual and the one that finally got to me was butter; butter has about the same volume as fat. So imagine carrying 4 sticks of butter (a package here in the US) for every pound you have to lose. 30 pounds? 120 sticks. 50 pounds, 200 sticks. Spread them around your body, maybe tuck the extra ones into your pants.
But I really, really like butter!
Old 07-11-06, 12:09 PM
Perpetually lost

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
But I really, really like butter!
Yeah, me too! Butter melting on a big 'ol warm, flaky biscuit with homemade applebutter...hmmm--beats pie anyday. What's really funny is that as a child of the 60's it was pretty much impressed into me that butter was bad and margarine was good. So we ate margarine--had crowns popping out of the tops of our heads and everything--great entertainment at dinnertime. Just kidding.

Having our diets determined by the marketing department of General Foods, Ralston, and others has got a lot of us screwed up. Now we find out how bad margarine really is--trans fats, cholesterol--so eating butter is now good again. Just in moderation, of course. Go figure.

DG--thanks for changing your avatar back. I was beginning to get freaked out with the last couple.
Old 07-11-06, 12:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old99
DG--thanks for changing your avatar back. I was beginning to get freaked out with the
last couple.
+1,000,000
Old 07-11-06, 01:16 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
OK, so use margarine boxes instead. Still makes the same point!

And I like ice cream!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-11-06 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-11-06, 01:34 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- good to read all is OK...

- just went through the half-century checkup routine, and am also on the road to a lighter 'frame'...

- btw, for male 50+s here:

if you haven't had one yet, get a colonoscopy... if the doc finds any questionable polyps, they can usually be removed on the spot - saving you a revisit or much grief further down the road...

- i actually had fun during mine... after being prepped on the gurney and wheeled into the exam room, i found two nurses pinching each other and playing graba**... my doc was sitting at a desk, finishing a Happy Meal™ and reading the sports page of the local fishwrap... one nurse turns to the other and says, "Hey, he looks like a Frenchie! Let's take his picture!" She grabs the business end of the scope, flicks a switch to light the two high-power LEDs, nearly sticks it up my nose, then snaps a few pictures... I ask, "Promise you won't upload those to the Internet?" "No problem, sweetie," she says, fitting the nasal mask over my face, then adds, "Count to three."

i think i got to 'Two' ... an hour and a half later i wake up in a recovery room feeling pretty good, but not remembering a darn thing about the exam...

:-)

p.s. also glad to read that the numbness has disappeared/abated... bike fit is key!

:-)
Old 07-11-06, 02:19 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+ 1 on colonoscopy at 50 - after hearing so many horror stories, my own last year was eeezzzyyy - the prep evening before was inconvenient but certainly not as horrible as I'd heard from others
Old 07-11-06, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Yep, my first colonoscopy at age 61 revealed two large polyps which were removed then and there. The biopsy proved to be negative but the doctor told me afterwards that he was pretty worried. He said I would likely have been in serious trouble had I waited much longer.