Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Great! Just Great! Now I have a cold... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/210891-great-just-great-now-i-have-cold.html)

Digital Gee 07-14-06 08:11 AM

Great! Just Great! Now I have a cold...

I do not like this cold I am,
I do not like it worse than spam.
I do not like my chest on fire
I do not like these germs for hire.
I do not like it when I cough,
I do not like it when I sneeze
i do not like my Kleenix soft,
I do not like my throat's new wheeze.
I do not like these pills I take
I do not for goodness sake!
I do not like the way i feel
I do not like my new raw deal.
i do not like what's in my throat,
I do not like what I just wrote.

So, what do you do when you catch a cold? :mad:

centexwoody 07-14-06 08:28 AM

Read cute poems about others' similar suffering on BF - hope you feel better soon

When I was a kid & tried to stay home with a cold, my mother informed me that I would feel just as bad at school as at home so I might as well not miss school...does the same apply for riding a bike?

HopedaleHills 07-14-06 08:39 AM

I've had the same cold, all in the chest. The other night I figured I could ride it out of me so went out for 10 miler. Almost coughed up a lung in the garage afterward! And I start vacation tommorrow, geez.

Olebiker 07-14-06 08:42 AM

I take a couple of Benadryl and dare anyone to speak to me until the next day. I just got over a cold and am looking forward to getting back on my bike tomorrow.

DnvrFox 07-14-06 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I do not like this cold I am,
I do not like it worse than spam.
I do not like my chest on fire
I do not like these germs for hire.
I do not like it when I cough,
I do not like it when I sneeze
i do not like my Kleenix soft,
I do not like my throat's new wheeze.
I do not like these pills I take
I do not for goodness sake!
I do not like the way i feel
I do not like my new raw deal.
i do not like what's in my throat,
I do not like what I just wrote.

A little long for Haiku, don't you think!

Get well. I hate colds.

CrossChain 07-14-06 09:25 AM

Did I hear Dnvr say Haiku?

Fred's nose becomes red
His bike sits quiet and still
Let's ride the keyboard.

Louis 07-14-06 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
A little long for Haiku, don't you think!

Get well. I hate colds.

But perfect for Dr. Seus. :)

Well done Gary. Get well.

George W. Diego 07-14-06 03:01 PM

Every time you whine about having a cold, you undermine our foreign policy and give aid and comfort to the terrorists. That's why I'm proposing a constitutional amendment against whining. :eek:

late 07-14-06 03:25 PM

What pills are you taking? Some OTC meds cause more trouble than they cure.
You need fluids, chicken soup, juice, herbal tea, flush that crap out.
...eat lots of fruit... Take hot showers to get the congestion moving, and rest.
If you have the bug going around here it's a nasty one.

stapfam 07-14-06 03:29 PM

Feed a cold- Starve a fever- Hows the diet going?

Problem with a cold is not just the runny nose- or the blocked nose. It is that chesty feeling that stops you wanting to exert yourself. Then there is the headache- but that is probably the after effects of the medicinal Cognac that was over imbibed.

Woke up the morning of a big ride with a Flu type feeling. Only medicine I could find was a cold medicine for blocked nosed called Mucron. Took one every 4 hours and it worked. Next day the cold hit and I was like death warmed up.
I still take mucron before a hard ride because it does clear the tubes a bit and gives me a start to the ride. Don't know whats in it but It is one of the banned substances for Athletes.

pastorbobnlnh 07-14-06 03:49 PM

Gary,

Look at this cold as an opportunity to do the things you can't do while riding:
1. Chart all your miles into neat graphs and post them.
2. Clean and repack your hubs. They will love you for such attention.
3. Clean and lube your chains. Think of all the nasty places they have been.
4. Polish your frames. Gary Diego will admire your flash.

I'm certain others have some great bike related ideas for Gary to keep him busy for the next 10 days!

Digital Gee 07-14-06 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by late
What pills are you taking? Some OTC meds cause more trouble than they cure.
You need fluids, chicken soup, juice, herbal tea, flush that crap out.
...eat lots of fruit... Take hot showers to get the congestion moving, and rest.
If you have the bug going around here it's a nasty one.

Actually, I'm only taking echinacea so far, plus lots of bed rest and hot baths. So far, all this is in the chest, and achy joints, but not in my nose. I get to where I'm feeling kind of good, and then I stand up, and whoa! I feel like collapsing. A bit of cough as well, and some nicely tanned/greened phelgm. And the all-day headache as well.

By the way, do you guys think I should be out riding? Part of me says to take it easy, and the other part says get out there in the sun and sweat it out! OTOH, I don't want to ride unsafe. OTOH, I don't want to sit around on my Barcolounger, primarily because I don't have a Barcolounger. So what say you?

Blackberry 07-14-06 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
By the way, do you guys think I should be out riding?

Good question. Sometimes when I'm exhausted, a ride is just the ticket. But sometimes nothing works other than rest. Go for a light spin and see if you don't perk up. If that doesn't work take two 21-year-old flight attendents to the Barcalounger and call your chiropractor in the morning.

CrossChain 07-14-06 08:44 PM

If you have a fever...no! If you can't breathe...you decide. If you feel achy...no. If you feel as limp as overcooked pasta....no. If you just don't feel like it...no.

However, if you are "up" a little, get out of the house and take a light spin. Sometimes with a cold that's turned the corner, if I act as if I'm well, I seem to become so. Slumping around the house unshaven in the same t-shirt for 3 days eating only popcorn and icecream encourages perceptions of self-pity and sickness.

Unless of course you really are still sick. Then go back to...no.

Is this all clear? Shall I repeat it?

Blackberry above is very right. Worked in the yard all day, got depressed over a family matter....but allowed a friend to drag me out on the road in 100Plus Valley heat.
Felt like rubber-legged crud the first 10 miles but ended up with an endorphin rush and felt great the rest of the way. 90% Head--like what's-his-name said

bcoppola 07-14-06 08:59 PM

Must be something going around, alright. I'm just getting over a bout of viral bronchitis (so said the doc) that seemingly started as a cold or sinus infection that kept me off the bike for nearly two weeks...and I dropped out halfway through a club ride just last night.

The achy joints sound like flu but it's not flu season. Anyway, whatever it is can take a lot out of you.

I'm for the time-honored treatments: rest and fluids. Including chicken soup. I have no problem with OTC sinus/pain reliever. I regard echinacea as dubious at best. Actual drugs at least have to be tested for efficacy and safety, whatever the shortcomings of the FDA. "Supplements" like echinacea don't even have to pass that muster.

I also took "a light spin" around the neighborhood when I finally began feeling better. The bronchitis made for considerable fatigue.

Wanted to reply in verse but coudn't rhyme "bronchitis". :) Take care.

Digital Gee 07-14-06 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by bcoppola

Wanted to reply in verse but coudn't rhyme "bronchitis". :) Take care.

:roflmao: Good one, bcoppola!

Well, I didn't ride today. Every time I felt like maybe I could get out there, a wave of something said no. I've got that thing where my clothes feel weird -- not itchy, but something. Maybe I can ride tomorrow. Meantime, I'm taking up Blackberry's suggestion.

Diego Garcia 07-15-06 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam
Feed a cold- Starve a fever

My English is poor, but I believe it's, "Feed a cold, feed a fever!"

head_wind 07-15-06 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by George W. Diego
Every time you whine about having a cold, you undermine our foreign policy and give aid and comfort to the terrorists. That's why I'm proposing a constitutional amendment against whining. :eek:

Next time I go to the airport I'll be OK. I only snivel.