Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Day trips - Jacksonville FL (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/211173-day-trips-jacksonville-fl.html)

KenSmith 07-15-06 02:31 PM

Day trips - Jacksonville FL

I'm heading out tomorrow morning for Jacksonville, FL. Going riding with my brother in law. We plan on riding three days, day trips - probably 40 - 60 miles each day. gonna be HOT and HUMID. The plan for the first day is the "Tour de Hooters". We are going to try to hit as many of the hooters in the Jacksonville area as we can in one day. One of the other days we will ride in the St. Augustine area. If you see an old dork with a orange construction vest rolling down the road in northern Florida, it might be me. I'll post some pics when I get back.

Ken

Digital Gee 07-15-06 02:48 PM

Tour de Hooters! :beer: :roflmao:

KenSmith 07-15-06 02:55 PM

I'll have a wing and a cold one for you Gary.

Ken

jaxgtr 07-17-06 06:25 AM

Be prepared, it felt like 110 here yesterday. Will be up there again for the next couple of days. Have fun.

Brian

RockyMtnMerlin 07-17-06 06:51 AM

Ah, Jacksonville. Fond memories of military duty there in mid 70's and early 80's. The only place I have ever had a beer bottle thrown at me while I was cycling. Two guys in a pickup truck. Of course it was 1982 and I was wearing cycling shorts and a helmet. Proabably a rather rare sight down there in those good ol days!. Luckily they missed!

jppe 07-17-06 06:52 AM

It would definitely be nice seeing lots of pics on the Tour de Hooters route!!!!! Nothing like a fresh place of nuclear wings right of the kitchen..........what were you thinking we'd want pics for**********????

jaxgtr 07-17-06 06:01 PM

"Ah, Jacksonville. Fond memories of military duty there in mid 70's and early 80's. The only place I have ever had a beer bottle thrown at me while I was cycling. Two guys in a pickup truck. Of course it was 1982 and I was wearing cycling shorts and a helmet. Proabably a rather rare sight down there in those good ol days!. Luckily they missed!"
-----------------

Please tell me you were on the westside :D.

Brian

RockyMtnMerlin 07-17-06 10:01 PM

Man it was a long time ago. I believe I was somewhere south of the city (which was undoubtedly smaller then). It was a rural area at the time.

BILLB58 07-18-06 09:34 AM

Would appreciate a listing of the best Microbreweries you come across.......Hooters are always "must" stops....we (three of us) are waiting for late Oct/early Nov (less heat & less tstorms) and then heading out from Ft Myers to Ft Pierce, then up Adventure Cycling's A1A map to Jacksonville...credit card tour, figure it will take us 5-6 days with multiple stops.....only long day is day one....Ft Myers to Okeechobee, 99 miles, 50-60 miles each day otherwise...Have a great time!

KenSmith 07-20-06 11:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well,
I'm back from Florida. We had to limit our mileage do to some scheduling issues, but we did manage a little over 40 per day. Although it was hot and humid, it was actually cooler than St. Louis - go figure. Stopped at a LBS and looked over their used bikes. They had a very nice 80's schwinn le tour sitting there. Unfortunately, it was HUGE. pretty useless to a guy who's 5'8".

Here's a couple of pics of the "Tour de Hooters" as promised.

I'm the dork on the left. :)

Ken

KenSmith 07-20-06 11:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, forgot pics of bikes. I ride an '06 Fuji Touring, my BIL rides an ancient but still road worthy Peugeot road bike...
I did manage to break my saddle while down there. it started making an anoying popping sound in the nose on every revolution of the pedals. All told, we had one flat tire and one broken spoke on the peugeot and one broken saddle on the Fuji..
Ken

Pat 07-21-06 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Be prepared, it felt like 110 here yesterday. Will be up there again for the next couple of days. Have fun.

Brian

I live in Central Florida. The nice thing about the summer in Florida is that it always hot so we don't have to worry about heat waves.

stonecrd 07-21-06 08:33 AM

I would stay away from the alcohol and stick with the gatoraide, less fun, but you will end up with dehydration otherwise. Always a good idea to go out to the east if you can, that way you can get the sea breeze to your back on your return trip. Generally about 20mph starting at about 3:00p down here

jaxgtr 08-05-06 11:54 AM

Well,
I'm back from Florida. We had to limit our mileage do to some scheduling issues, but we did manage a little over 40 per day. Although it was hot and humid, it was actually cooler than St. Louis - go figure. Stopped at a LBS and looked over their used bikes. They had a very nice 80's schwinn le tour sitting there. Unfortunately, it was HUGE. pretty useless to a guy who's 5'8".

Here's a couple of pics of the "Tour de Hooters" as promised.

I'm the dork on the left.

Ken

Been to this Hooter's many a day, in fact I was there on opening day in 1985. Right just off the river. Lot's of Fun.

Brian

Digital Gee 08-05-06 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by KenSmith
Sorry, forgot pics of bikes. I ride an '06 Fuji Touring, my BIL rides an ancient but still road worthy Peugeot road bike...
I did manage to break my saddle while down there. it started making an anoying popping sound in the nose on every revolution of the pedals. All told, we had one flat tire and one broken spoke on the peugeot and one broken saddle on the Fuji..
Ken

Love the reflection of the guy sucking his water bottle!