Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I'd Like to Nominate CrossChain... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/211243-id-like-nominate-crosschain.html)

Digital Gee 07-15-06 09:10 PM

I'd Like to Nominate CrossChain...

The 50+ Forum is blessed with an abundance of good writers, which so adds to the pleasure of being here. I'm not sure why we have a disproportionate number of talented scribes, but in my 'umble opinion, we do. That said, I'd like to nominate CrossChain, aka GrannyGear, for the first unofficial annual Grantland Rice Award.

Grantland, of course, is most famous for his description of the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse, describing the backfield of the 1924 Notre Dame football team:

Outlined against a blue-gray October sky the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as famine, pestilence, destruction and death. These are only aliases. Their real names are: Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds this afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down upon the bewildering panorama spread out upon the green plain below.

Grantland Rice wrote about sports in such a compelling, refreshing, colorful way that no one could ignore him. He was a towering figure in sports writing, still admired to this day.

Anyway, I find CrossChain's posts to be compelling, refreshing, and colorful, and the way he writes about cycling (and being 50+) is just about as well as it can be done. So, that's why I'm nominating him for this award.

Do I hear an "amen!" ?

Blackberry 07-15-06 09:29 PM

Amen!!!

Now quit haunting my dreams.

Louis 07-15-06 10:14 PM

Amen.

Dylan Diego 07-16-06 12:27 AM

Absolutely, positively my sentiments from here on desolation row....

Red Baron 07-16-06 04:05 AM

"Arrrrhhhh" (saw pirates of carribian last night)

pastorbobnlnh 07-16-06 05:13 AM

I've, thought from time to time, that I should recruit CrossChain (aka GrannyGear), to write my Sunday morning prayers, or at least edit them and add literary colour. Amen ++++.

centexwoody 07-16-06 09:14 AM

AMEN brother & let's have one more chorus...Brer Fox, would you lead us off, please?

George W. Diego 07-16-06 10:21 AM

If CrossChain (aka GrannyGear) hadn't marched in lockstep with Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein, and voted for Al Gore, I might be inclined to say something nice about his writin' (at least, the parts I can understand - heh heh heh) but what most of you don't know is he's been a thorn in the side of the patriotic Americans who've been pushing the No Child Left Behind legislation. Why, if it were left up to CC, or GG, or whoever the heck he is, we'd be teachin' kids practical, relevent stuff, instead of teachin' 'em to a test.

DnvrFox 07-16-06 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by centexwoody
AMEN brother & let's have one more chorus...Brer Fox, would you lead us off, please?

Here you go!

Listen to the chorus here!

Didn't think I could take you up on that challenge, did you! :D

Blackberry 07-16-06 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by George W. Diego
If CrossChain (aka GrannyGear) hadn't marched in lockstep with Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein, and voted for Al Gore, I might be inclined to say something nice about his writin' (at least, the parts I can understand - heh heh heh) but what most of you don't know is he's been a thorn in the side of the patriotic Americans who've been pushing the No Child Left Behind legislation. Why, if it were left up to CC, or GG, or whoever the heck he is, we'd be teachin' kids practical, relevent stuff, instead of teachin' 'em to a test.

The reason I'm shouting "Amen" is that everytime you or one of the other Diego brothers starts to prattle, CrossChain opens a big can of Whupazz.

centexwoody 07-16-06 02:30 PM

:roflmao:

YES! I just knew you would rise to the challenge...

Can any of the Diegos sing? other than in a minor key? Or do they dwell along in that lonesome valley...

megaman 07-16-06 02:43 PM

Hey George W. Diego, please tell me that W. doesn't stand for wisdom.

George W. Diego 07-16-06 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by megaman
Hey George W. Diego, please tell me that W. doesn't stand for wisdom.

The W, Megaman, stands for War. The Global War on Terror, if you haven't heard. The crusade to create democracy in the Middle East. A war we are winning, I might add. If it weren't for traitors like the New York Times, Dan Rather, and Howard Dean, that war might already be over.

Just be careful who you phone, megaman, and who you wire money to. Just sayin'

megaman 07-16-06 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by George W. Diego
Just be careful who you phone, megaman, and who you wire money to. Just sayin'

Phone conversation,
Me: Hello?
Caller: Sir, we are a nonprofit organization devoted to making sure a deserving dog goes to obedience school and were wondering.........
Me: click

Another phone conversation,
Me: Hello, I'd like to make a appointment to get a crown put on my tooth.
Dentist office: Did we notify you that your insurance isn't going pay for very much?
Me: Yeah, so what else is new. Blame the Republicans.

So W, have your people listen away. If they listen long enough they'll be able to tell that
1. I have little personal life.
2. My teeth are giving me problems.
3. My cats don't think that I'm that important.
4. That my main job for my wife is to keep her cool.

Blackberry 07-16-06 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by megaman
My cats don't think that I'm that important

Your cats think you're important. They're just good actors.

jppe 07-16-06 05:32 PM

Amen to both the nomination and to Denver's hymn. Well done on all accounts!!

John E 07-16-06 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by jppe
Amen to both the nomination ...

For a contrast, read a few threads in a discussion forum which caters to younger folks. Saying this makes me feel like Professor Henry Higgins, but I hope proper English doesn't die with our generation.

Originally Posted by jppe
... and to Denver's hymn. Well done on all accounts!!

Yup, they don't call us "Singing Methodists" for nothing!

CrossChain 07-16-06 07:32 PM

:D Gee whiz, fellas.....Thanks DeeGee and all the rest above. My smile is broader than the emoticon's.
Miss Podhorst, my senior English teacher, affectionately known as "Frau UberKommander of the Grammar Gestapo", would almost flicker a smile of approval (and that would be my first from her).

In accepting this honor, let me say that I have grown accustomed to your virtual "faces" that I mind's-eye see every day I log in here. Each of you has a personality, an identity (some, BP, even have numerous identities) that has grown from your posts. Jppe's off-the-front cycling has pulled me up hills, Dnvr has kept me honest, DeeGee has reminded me of what a Sincere, Nice Guy is all about, John E. has put a human face on retro, Blackberry is one cool, unique-take-on-the-world humanistical dude, and so on for most all regulars. Anyway, I'm touched... even if those hyper-procreative Diegos have hi-jacked the thread-- again.

When do I get my complimentary BF50Plus tee-shirt?

DnvrFox 07-16-06 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by CrossChain
:
When do I get my complimentary BF50Plus tee-shirt?

Here you go!

http://members.aol.com/bfn50gallery/...in50tshirt.JPG

CrossChain 07-16-06 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Darn, Dnvr, now I have to get out a buy a nice pair of slacks to go with it. ;)

old99 07-17-06 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by CC
Darn, Dnvr, now I have to get out a buy a nice pair of slacks to go with it.

You might as well get some new socks too. Those black ones you wear with your cycling sandals...well, while certainly stylish are a bit much. ;)

Make sure they get the right name on the honorarium, it'll make a difference at the bank.

John E 07-17-06 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox

That's cool, Denver -- a virtual tee-shirt!

turtleguy54 07-17-06 05:31 PM

While I seriously doubt there will be any nay sayers chiming in on this nomination, I do have to add my vote for CrossChain. It was not actually until now that I truly believed that GrannyGear was still here. I just figured CrossChain was his son carrying on the duties of the father while he was dedicating his time to his flock of eager students.

When I found this forum, it was the writing of the members that made me come back time and time again. Especially GrannyGear. You should all be very proud of the manner in which information and cajoling is presented here. So, here is to GG/CC, I raise my glass of iced tea to the deservedly first Pedalling Penman!:beer: :beer: :beer:

I do miss Dave Stoller's picture though.

CrossChain 07-17-06 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by turtleguy54
I do miss Dave Stoller's picture though.

Thanks for your kind words, Turtleguy! Check out the new avatar. Apparently that perpetually finding-himself adolescent Dave S. has discovered girls. Have to remind ourselves there's a world beyond bikes I suppose.

centexwoody 07-17-06 06:48 PM

so how 'bout that Red Star? huh? can't you polish up your resume & present it to H.A.L. and finally get yours?