Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

ASPARTAME FREE, Udate

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

ASPARTAME FREE, Udate

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 08:24 AM
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ASPARTAME FREE, Udate

well, i've been aspatame free for 1 week and can't believe the results. My BP had been creeping up over the last 2 years, last Wednesday, after 3 cans of Fresca, it was 154/91 again. My blood sugar was rarely below 6.0 (114 U.S.), the ringing in my ears was noticable, a spot had developed on my cornea, and had a constant tingling in my right arm and leg...and a few more things. The thing that bothered me the most was a fuzzy head, a minor headache, and the irritation that noise caused (thought that this was caused low blood sugar)

anyway...one week later, BP 110/65, glucose around 5.0 (85 U.S.), ringing in the ears was the first thing to disappear, tingling is less noticable, mind is sharp again, noise doesn't bother me, and have stopped taking the BP meds. Still see a spot, but its smaller.

so, no more aspartame for me. Have even stopped chewing sugar free gum, fat-free yogurt has been replaced with the Splenda variety, and many more positive changes are being noticed,...I had no idea that this one small change would have such a huge effect so quickly...even wear my bifocals less!

Who knew?
Old 07-19-06, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Wow. Those are pretty dramatic changes. I'm gald your choices have started what appears to be a healthier lifestyle. Sometimes it amazes me what I'll put in my body. Looks like your results are something I need to consider more carefully.
Old 07-19-06, 08:47 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds good,

Yesterday I drank two large coffees with equal and drank about 1/2 gal of Crystal Light lemonade sweetened with aspartame. My BP is 128/75, my resting pulse is 57 and I have not had a headache in 3 years.

My point is that individual results will vary and maybe it was the aspartame causing your problems but it may also be one of the other 30 ingredients in Fresca. I think it is great this working for you but people should not try to extrapolate cause and effect from ancedotal evidence or small non controlled population studies. If you do you will be going to small villages in Mexico for cancer treatment, or having your aura adjusted.

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-19-06, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
Sounds good,

Yesterday I drank two large coffees with equal and drank about 1/2 gal of Crystal Light lemonade sweetened with aspartame. My BP is 128/75, my resting pulse is 57 and I have not had a headache in 3 years.

My point is that individual results will vary and maybe it was the aspartame causing your problems but it may also be one of the other 30 ingredients in Fresca. I think it is great this working for you but people should not try to extrapolate cause and effect from ancedotal evidence or small non controlled population studies. If you do you will be going to small villages in Mexico for cancer treatment, or having your aura adjusted.
Where can I go to get my aura adjusted? Mine's out of whack.
Old 07-19-06, 09:08 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
Sounds good,

no question...i have always been very sensitive to drugs...i can feel an apirin 10 minutes after doing one, lipitor almost killed me (huge muscle inflamation), i'm one of the reasons that prepulsid was withdrawn from the market (heart palpitations)...because of the diabetes, i made some serious lifestyle changes 5 years ago, lost 100+ lb, and work out 5 hours/day...only to see a lot of the positive changes deteriorate over the last 2 years.

Within a few days of stopping aspatame (only change i made), everything is going back to normal...after the Fresca last week, my pulse registered as 174 (156 after the diet pepsi earlier), this morning my resting pulse was 47, 59 during my anaerobic workout, 85 during aerobics

every body is different, it looks like mine is aspartame sensitive, so the aspartames gone...life will be a splenda thing
Old 07-19-06, 09:54 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aura adjustment is a discipline of Cosmotherepy, see https://www.harmony000.org/index.htm

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-19-06, 12:15 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by jm01
every body is different, it looks like mine is aspartame sensitive, so the aspartames gone...life will be a splenda thing
"...
Splenda®is the trade name for sucralose, a manmade sugar replacement. Sucralose is a mutated sugar molecule, with three out of four parts sugar replaced by man-made chlorine. Numerous chemicals are used in the manufacturing process to remove the sugar and insert the halogen, chlorine.

From an environmental engineer's point of view, sucralose is harmful due to its chlorine content. From a nutritionist's point of view, sucralose is harmful because it tricks the body into thinking sugar has been eaten so the body begins its digestion processes, only to exhaust the body as it tries to 'digest' nothing. Over time, this raises blood insulin levels, perpetuates hunger and an increased need for complex carbohydrates, and creates chlorine gas in the intestines as well as other toxic physical reactions responding to the chlorine within the body. "

from an interview of Janet Starr Hull

not to start a debate on Splenda also, but anytime you ingest anything, it causes a reaction within the body - often that might be counter what is expected.

re 'anecdotal' comment from another poster - the fact that he may have ingested massive quanitites of Asspartame without perceived ill effects is also 'anecdotal' - DOH

and I know of at least 3 people who died at ripe ages of 80+ & 90+ and were chain smokers - anecdotal, and certainly counter the 'accepted' ill effects of smoking. This does not preclude the 'dangers' of smoking within a population.
Within a population most things seem to happen/work on a bell curve. So a person who perceives no ill effects from asspartame may be as rare as the opposite end of the bell, the person who is struck deathly ill. But what happens is that the large mass of the pop. fall in the central mass and they often perceive problems/illness/conditions that seemingly can't be clearly attributed.
Within the American population, that issued is hyperbolic, considering all the crappage an Avg American consumes.
On an individual basis, you makes your choices, you takes your chances...
assuming anything is safe, whether manufactured or 'natural' is a crap shot. After all, eating the wrong 'shroom' might kill you... or you might kill youself

certainly no one is going to do research without getting paid, currently do we expect asspartame producers/sellers to 'pay' for finding out the level of danger from aspartame? Is the GOV. going to do it, while legislateurs are in the pocket of chem industry lobbyists?
so evidence, other than anecdotal, is limited and will remain that way until an 'influential' illness/death occurs.
anecdotal, in enough bulk, is certainly strong enough to create suspicion. That, along with correllated similar chemistry might start the process to discerning thought.
Anecdotal
Gregor Mendal certainly had no way to clinically prove the basis of 'genetics', yet anecdotal evidence through observation certainly was strong and he is still regarded as the Father of Genetics, and is not diminshed because his sharp observations were anecdotal.
Old 07-19-06, 01:01 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you for the interesting interview...its been a week, and there is so much out there

well...i've bought a couple of cases of splenda soda...i'll drink these over the next few weeks and monitor any changes...the one thing that i noticed with aspartame, the effects were instant...the splenda products this week had no side effects whatsoever

But you're right, we can't be too carefull...we have chlorine and fluoride in our water (i was happy to get that and get off our well, which had a boil-water advisory), and we're told its a good thing ...i've become a label reader, eliminated all processed foods, trans fats, sugars (reduced carbs), cook from fresh at every meal...but this one fell through the cracks

it's a minefield out there, you would think that those who are in a position and paid to look after our health would do a better job

Thanks again
Old 07-19-06, 01:26 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
"...
Splenda®is the trade name for sucralose, a manmade sugar replacement. Sucralose is a mutated sugar molecule, with three out of four parts sugar replaced by man-made chlorine. Numerous chemicals are used in the manufacturing process to remove the sugar and insert the halogen, chlorine.

From an environmental engineer's point of view, sucralose is harmful due to its chlorine content. From a nutritionist's point of view, sucralose is harmful because it tricks the body into thinking sugar has been eaten so the body begins its digestion processes, only to exhaust the body as it tries to 'digest' nothing. Over time, this raises blood insulin levels, perpetuates hunger and an increased need for complex carbohydrates, and creates chlorine gas in the intestines as well as other toxic physical reactions responding to the chlorine within the body. "

from an interview of Janet Starr Hull
and to counter the above, which is poorly substantiated, poor chemistry and might be just high level bull**** also...

"Substituting three chlorine ions for hydroxyl groups on an ordinary sucrose molecule makes Sucralose. Developers found that selective halogenations changed the perceived sweetness of a sucrose molecule, with chlorine and bromine being the most effective. Chlorine, as a lighter halogen, retains higher water solubility, so chlorine was picked as the ideal halogen for substitution."
From Sucralose: An Overview

and from the same source...

..."Although sucralose is derived from sucrose, the body does not recognize it as a carbohydrate, as it would for native sucrose. “Sucralose does not effect normal carbohydrate metabolism, including insulin secretion and glucose and fructose absorption” (McNeil Specialty). Sucralose is therefore suitable for consumption by the diabetic population."...

but do we really trust McNeil Specialty, the product developer? not sure...

point being the implications of a decision to 'use' something may not be clear for many decades, and not in everyone. My own 'aversion'/reaction to asspartame was completely overlooked until I happened into a conversation with another person who discovered his 'reactions' purely by accident.
It not only caused me to find my 'reaction', but also reinforced my intent to 'listen' to what others say, pursue open questions as much as possible and make a real conscious decision when it comes to stuff I might eat, medicine I might take, stuff I might use.
often its easier to cut something out completely, rather than try to figure a 'safe' level.
I figure if I'm gonna have a vice, its gonna be a whooper, then bring on the gators.
Old 07-19-06, 01:35 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
..."Although sucralose is derived from sucrose, the body does not recognize it as a carbohydrate, as it would for native sucrose. “Sucralose does not effect normal carbohydrate metabolism, including insulin secretion and glucose and fructose absorption” (McNeil Specialty). Sucralose is therefore suitable for consumption by the diabetic population."...
I'm still on the learning curve, but my glucose dropped 20% within a couple of days...this will be an interesting trip and will monitor the milestones carefully

I had a complete blood test 1 month ago, everything was OK (glucose a bit high @ .061), am scheduled for a repeat August, week 4...lets see what happens
Old 07-19-06, 09:11 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aspartame and splenda leave an aftertaste in my mouth. I avoid them, expect in my occasional sport drink. I used to drink 2 to 6 Pepsis a day. I have gained weight slowly over the years that I now can't seem to shed like I used to in the summertime. I decided I need to do something now to get my weight down so I can ride a mule to the bottom of the Grand Canyon(need to be under 200 lbs.). I now drink only one Pepsi a day. I have increased my cycling mileage and done really nothing else to lose weight. I'm now down to 198 lbs. , having been 218 in April.
It's amazing how 2 small changes have made the difference. So what I'm saying is, if it works, do it.