Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I Don't Get It

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I Don't Get It

Old 07-21-06, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone seems to be looking for some deep meaning behind some innocent razzing.I think the old saying,different strokes for different folks, applies here.You are concerned about you level of physical fitness, but may neglect some other aspect of your life, not for any reason other than it wasn't something you gave a lot of thought to.My wife worked with a lawyer who rode 50 miles every saturday and most people we knew thought that was pretty amazing.We weren't envious and we didn't think anything was wrong with him or any of the other explanations seen in earlier posts.I probably see this differently than most folks here because I just started riding a bicycle again and I am pretty amazed that I can ride 5 miles nonstop and I'm looking forward to being amazed at 10 miles.I was surprised to find out that It bothers me if I don't ride some every day.It was 105 degrees here in the south (Texas) yesterday and a lot of people were out jogging.Do you you think you would see as many people in Colorado riding and jogging if it was 105 there today? Some people ride bikes, some jog, and some collect stamps, and it's good that we can kid each other about our differences. Just my humble opinion
Old 07-21-06, 09:28 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
AS this discussion has evolved, there is also an element of envy-- something that cannot be openly expressed so instead emerges as gentle (or sometimes not so gentle) put down-- making trivial what common sense and the American Medical Assoc. suggests is very serious.

How can they not be envious? As the boundaries of their world close in, binding them closer and closer to those recliner chairs, others of us are still "out there" doing things and enjoying life a little more fully than they. Age brings increasing natural limits for everyone, but instead of simply accepting...some people fight against it: get up early, sweat, stay out of the chips bag-- ride a higher road of lifestyle.

Yesterday, as one fruit of fitness, I drove up to Yosemite, had a strenuous/fun/relaxing/come home tired day. My 2 pack a day neighbor George, much like yours, just shook his head when I met him at the mailbox in the evening. Nearly 60, like me, he's already dismissed the possibility of getting "out there". And that's sad.
Old 07-21-06, 11:27 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Well, my wife and I, for the 2nd month, will be riding our bicycles this morning to the monthly "XYZ" breakfast. We will see if anyone else also rides, following our last month's example. Want to take a bet?
Well, I wish someone had bet with me!

Lots of ohs and ahs about my wife and me riding the 3.8 miles one way. BUt no one else rode bicycles. "How did you get here? How did you connect with the trail? Etc., etc.

But, that's about it.
Old 07-21-06, 11:39 AM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
keep setting the good example - it only takes a spark to get a fire going...
Old 07-21-06, 04:12 PM
one post at time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
The majority of folks who joke about their lack of fitness are (secretly?) unhappy and ashamed that they are not physically fit. Their jocularity about their condition is the equivalent of "whistling in the graveyard."
It goes one step beyond this. By making out Denver as some sort of 'superman' because he can ride several miles sort of justifies his (the razzers) lack of participation. At the end of the day they all wish they could do what Denver (and the rest of us for that matter) are doing - they're trying to convince each other that 'normal' people (like them) can't do it so it negates their necessity to try.

It's a path of least resistance thing - it's way easier to make excuses and do nothing. Denver, they're lucky to have you around to offer some sensible guidance and I hope your 1.5 miler with him opens his eyes to just how 'normal' (and fun) riding a bike can be.

// kak