Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New Trek 7300

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New Trek 7300

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-06, 11:09 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
New Trek 7300

Hi everybody, I picked up my new 7300 yesterday and went riding today. While I was riding I stopped along the way to make adjustments. After five stops I'm pretty close to where I want to be.After raising the handle bar and rolling them back I had to readjust the gear display. When I rolled them forward the bell was in the way. So I took the bell off and found out it holds the brake leave. I'm: new to biking. So I put the bell back on but it looks like part or the end of the spring sticking out a little. The brake works fine but I was wondering if I shouldn't take it apart again. I guess I could wait a month and have the LBS do it when I take it in for the 1 month check up.

Anyhow I sure like the bike. I had a 200 Trek Navigator but I thought I might go on some distant rides so I thought the 7300 would be better for that. At 66 I need all the help I can get. Anyhow I have to run and I talk to you later, George
Old 07-14-06, 04:19 PM
Perpetually lost

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi George
Congratulations on your new bike. The 7300 series started with the 700 (steel) a decade or so ago and has continued to be a great value--they are a really decent bike. I owned an original 700 a while back, then sold it to a friend who continues to ride it.

As per your other post as to how far--I'd say set the record! The up side of your bike is that it is well engineered and well constructed and will last forever. You'll probably want to upgrade long before you wear it out.

As for the bell/spring/lever issue, two thoughts. One, bicycle brake's return springs are located on the brake calipers, not the lever, so it isn't likely it will effect your braking any. However, inspect it closely and make sure that it won't interfere with the braking.

Another thought is to ride by and ask the shop whether to take a quick look--it'll just take a second. They'll tell you if there'll be any issues.

But again, congratulations on your new ride.
Old 07-14-06, 04:21 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old99
Another thought is to ride by and ask the shop whether to take a quick look--it'll just take a second. They'll tell you if there'll be any issues.
+1 on that. My Trek dealer will do small adjustments ANY time I bring the bike in, at no charge, for as long as I own the bike. You don't have to wait a month for that first adjustment, either. Mine said to come in after 100 miles, but really, any time.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-14-06, 05:50 PM

Thanks for all the respones, George
Old 07-14-06, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep riding George...you learn something new and like it more each time!
Old 07-17-06, 06:22 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. I have a Trek 7500 that I've had since early May. I love my Trek hybrid. I upgraded the saddle to a better Bontrager and put on some clipless pedals (Bebop). I've also installed a Cateye double wireless computer to keep track of stuff and, bottom line, I'm digging it!

The roadies in my neighborhood blow by me, but I know they're not having any more fun than I am.

Welcome to cycling, my friend and nice ride!
Old 07-18-06, 12:39 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I hate new bikes- All those adjustments to make- the bell and reflectors to take off and throw away- all the bearings to wear in and then adjust - all the cables to stretch and then adjust the gears and brakes-and then the saddle to give some time to wear in but final give up on and sort a new one (Or old proven one)

Far easier to keep taking back to the shop and let them do it for you.

Any new bike is going to take some adjustment and tweaking to get it to run right and fit you but the end result is worth it. I am just in the euphoria of my new road bike and after 500 miles the "New bike" adjustments have finally stopped and with the little bit of tweaking here and changing a couple of bits- it is finally not causing me any problems. Still not 100% certain about the saddle that was perfect initially.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-18-06, 06:21 PM

I love this Trek 7300

I know a just started riding, almost 66 and I just love it. I'm in the bike shop a few times a week trying to learn as much as I can about the sport. Acme bike shop in Katy texas have been very patient with me and I would recommend them to anybody in the area or passing through. I'm not putting the miles on that I would like to but it sure beats watching TV and I'm having fun.I'll right more later, I'm going riding, George
Old 07-18-06, 06:51 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by George McClusky
I'm going riding
Three of the sweetest words in the English language.
Old 07-18-06, 07:33 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by George McClusky
I'm going riding, George
So am I...to heck with the triple digit temperature! Have a good ride George!
Old 07-19-06, 06:50 AM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+ 1
Old 07-19-06, 07:17 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might be getting yourself into trouble! I re-entered biking with a new Trek 7200 a few years ago. Just something to get back into riding a bit and be comfy. Little did I know...now I'm awaiting delivery on a road bike (eBay, '04 Giant OCR2 - arriving today according to UPS). Keeping the Trek of course. When I'm not club riding it's still great for tooling around the neighborhood and MUP rides -- which is all I expected to do. Meanwhile, after joining a club and riding with them regularly I can, on a good night, be the only hybrid in a pack of roadies and keep up on an 18 - 20mph ride.

So keep riding...you might get even more into it than you thought possible! A terrible fate...
Old 07-19-06, 08:01 AM
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wishes for many nice rides on the new bike...my wife picked up a 7300 this year, loves the bike, but the saddle had to go...I put it on my bike but took it off after 1 ride...theres someting in the nose of that saddle that presses on a nerve down there.

but the rest of the bike is great...enjoy
Old 07-20-06, 10:02 AM

New saddle

My wife doesn't like her saddle as well. What kind did you get??? George