Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Recommend a comfortable cx style bike....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want a bicycle that is comfortable for longer rides with a combination of asphalt and gravel. I am getting back into road biking after 20 yr. lay off. I am 56 yrs old and the goal is to get in shape and loose weight. Priced around $1250 or so.
Old 10-06-14, 06:57 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
We all tend to recommend the bike we own. So that's what I'm going to do! I really, really like my soma doublecross and it would not be a problem building one up for in your price range. I built mine with a sugino triple, tektro 720 cantis, deore xt hubs laced onto mavic A719 rims, deore derailleurs, and shimano 9 speed bar ends. The bike is comfortable for all day riding and bar ends do a nice job of shifting over a triple up front and the 9 on the rear. Plus the gearing is very good with a 48-36-26 up front and a 12-27 on the rear. I've ridden my share of bikes over the years; this bike rocks:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0079.jpg (99.8 KB, 171 views)
Old 10-06-14, 07:22 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
A steel frame cx style, such as surly Crosscheck or soma double cross. Some times cx bike geometry has top tube a little long - careful about getting a good fit.
Another choice is an "endurance road" bike, these have more relaxed geometry and can fit wider tires - soma smoothie or ES are examples.
Old 10-06-14, 07:36 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I would suggest rather than a CX bike you might consider an adventure road bike. Depending on how rough the gravel roads you plan to ride will be (thus how wide a tire you'll need), Specialized has a couple of good bikes in that price neighborhood.

If 35mm tires will do it for you, look at the Diverge Sport.

Or if you want more tire capacity, the AWOL may be more to your liking.
Old 10-06-14, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I would suggest rather than a CX bike you might consider an adventure road bike. Depending on how rough the gravel roads you plan to ride will be (thus how wide a tire you'll need), Specialized has a couple of good bikes in that price neighborhood.

If 35mm tires will do it for you, look at the Diverge Sport.

Or if you want more tire capacity, the AWOL may be more to your liking.
Good suggestion. I have done plenty of double centuries on my Specialized Tricross and also like the Kona Jake bikes. Go do some test rides!
Old 10-08-14, 10:15 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
My recommendation is always two fold. First ride as many as you can that are your size. Second buy from a LBS that treats you like a friend. It is the service after the sale that you are paying for. If you don't need the service or warranty buy used or online.
Old 10-08-14, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
I have a CX bike I got for occasional off road and to ride in the winter when better traction, wide tires, and more durability was needed. I actually rarely rode it. If I had to do it over again I would get one of the sport fitness type bikes - similar to a road frame with wider wheels and straight bars. The position is between a mountain/hybrid and road. You sit more upright but can go quickly on the roads when you want to. It's also suited for gravel paths and light dirt use.

Last edited by StanSeven; 10-08-14 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-08-14, 11:11 AM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
I made the transition from an old rigid Mt bike to a CX bike this year. Got a Ti bike with carbon forks for under $1,500 and immediately upgraded to a Brooks saddle and setback seatpost. I didn't have clipless shoes etc, so total investment was more like $1,900.

I have 2800 miles on it now, so yes it's been on multiple long rides plus commuting most days of the week.

Keep in mind that CX bikes are configured for racing so the posture is aggressive and down hill. Transitioning from a more upright posture takes some getting used to, adjustments and maybe even some modifications to the bike (particularly bar height and reach).
Old 10-08-14, 11:28 AM

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ksdog
I want a bicycle that is comfortable for longer rides with a combination of asphalt and gravel. I am getting back into road biking after 20 yr. lay off. I am 56 yrs old and the goal is to get in shape and loose weight. Priced around $1250 or so.
Hello Ksdog,

My story is similar to yours, I'm looking for a CX bike in the same price range as yours. I just posted a list of options that you might want to glance at, here https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...t-bones-2.html

It's by no means exhaustive but it's a starting point at least. (The list is at the bottom of the page, with images)

Good luck with your quest!

Bruised
Old 10-08-14, 11:57 AM
Old. Slow. Happy.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take a look at adventure/gravel/all-road models. Nearly every manu offers something in that category now.
Old 10-08-14, 03:51 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
Good suggestion. I have done plenty of double centuries on my Specialized Tricross and also like the Kona Jake bikes. Go do some test rides!
Both good bikes for this type activity. The Tricross has now been replaced by the Diverge, and its an excellent bike for all condition/surface riding. And unlike many other brands, even the full carbon Diverge models are rated for rear and front racks and fenders. So it is no longer necessary to ride some overweight steel bike for all purpose riding (not that there is anything wrong with steel though). The Raleigh Tamland (steel) and Willard (aluminum) can be added to the list of good all purpose bikes.
Old 10-08-14, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NealH
Both good bikes for this type activity. The Tricross has now been replaced by the Diverge, and its an excellent bike for all condition/surface riding. And unlike many other brands, even the full carbon Diverge models are rated for rear and front racks and fenders. So it is no longer necessary to ride some overweight steel bike for all purpose riding (not that there is anything wrong with steel though). The Raleigh Tamland (steel) and Willard (aluminum) can be added to the list of good all purpose bikes.
3 years since my last purchase and I have fallen behind. It must be time to go shopping.
Old 10-08-14, 04:50 PM

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Look at a gravel grinder. It can take larger tires but has a more relaxed road-like geometry compared to CX.

Something along the lines of a Raleigh Tamland:

Raleigh Bicycles - Gravel
Old 10-10-14, 04:33 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I've only had one CX bike so I can't compare it to anything else. But, it's a Raleigh AL frame w/105 and cost $1200. I love this bike. Just saying it's a nice bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Our bikes 002.jpg (74.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-10-14, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
It might be too agressive for some but, I just bought (well it's on layaway until December) a 2014 Felt F5X. This is a full carbon frame with Sram Rival components. The original price was $2,399 but, I got it on closeout for $1,699.
Old 10-10-14, 12:43 PM

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 228 Posts
This Salsa Vaya is my newest bike and a really good gravel and all-rounder. Very comfortable and capable steel frame. You can keep the price down by ordering the Vaya3 with Sora components as I did. I've been riding it since May on trail and road, even a group ride. Love the BB7S disc brakes as well.