Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Landis wins!!! - Thanks Digital Gee (wink, wink)

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-23-06, 11:49 AM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Floyd Landis wins. It is so exciting to be as personally close to the race as we have all been (Digital Gee's clandistine trip to ????) thanks to one of our most active 50+ members.

Now, as long as the French do not find out and this thread be shifted to "French Speaking / Reading / Writing" only I'll be quite happy. I don't ever recall seeing any participants here from France.

While working in England a couple of years ago I saw a interview by a Bristish sports writer of his French counter part right afte Armstrong won the TDF after his treatment for cancer. It went something like this:

Brit Why is it that the French believe that the only way Lance Armstrong could win is doping?

Frenchmen: Well, he just had cancer and he could not have done so well if he did not dope.

Brit: Maybe Lance Armstrong is just physically superior to everyone else.

Frenchman: How could that be? He had cancer and besides the treatment he received is effective for doping.

Brit: Do you have anything else you would like to add?

Frenchman: Well, he doesn't even speak French!

Way to go Floyd Landis. We don't even care if you speak French of whatever. You brought the win for America!
Old 07-23-06, 11:52 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Absolutely amazing performance over pain, odds, and the ^_$*>%^*&)ing French press! Makes me proud of America, proud of Landis, and proud of the sport of bicycling. Now I'm going for a ride!
Old 07-23-06, 12:27 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I take no credit for this incredible, inspiring victory. But what a show! It's a great day for cyclists everywhere!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-23-06, 12:48 PM
SemperFi
Pinstriper

Bikes: 05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Floyd Landis is an inspiration not only to cyclists everywhere but to every individual who has ever competed in any endeavor, whether it be sports or otherwise.

The fact that he is American is just the cherry on top of the pie.
Old 07-23-06, 01:15 PM
Big Paulie

Originally Posted by SemperFi
The fact that he is American is just the cherry on top of the pie.
Did you have to bring pie into the discussion???
Old 07-23-06, 01:16 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I stand to be corrected, but the Normal Frenchman will appreciate the manner in which Floyd won. I'm not even American and I must applaud him for his achievement. Now what is the next drug inquiry that will show that people with Hip replacements, or who are waiting for one, are on some sort of natural -banned- hormone that improves their performance no end.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-23-06, 01:18 PM
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Didn't see the TV coverage, but wonder if Floyds' parents made the trip to France, and if so, did she bring some pie? As in ShooFly pie. Or sour cherrie or black raspberrie pie. The farmers in Lancaster County make some great pies.
Old 07-23-06, 01:23 PM
SemperFi
Pinstriper

Bikes: 05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike

Today's newspaper showed Floyd's parents at home yesterday in front of the TV.
Doubt that they made the trip.
Old 07-23-06, 01:32 PM
papedaler

Bikes: Trek 2120, LeMond Zurich

I live just north of where Landis grew up and the local media has been all over the story. His parents have been on the news daily, but since they are Menonite and don't have a tv they have to rely on neighbors to drop by and tell them how he is doing. His mother is the perfect picture of a Menonite woman complete with her hair in a bun and she has been very modest in how she talks about her son, but you just know she's dying to say, "Did you see the way my little boy kicked those little Frenchies butts going up and down the mountains."
Old 07-23-06, 01:40 PM
Big Paulie

I hope Floyd's parents would be as interested and supportive -- as they are now reported to be -- if he wasn't as successful. It should be about his desire to live his life on his own terms, not that he's winning big races.
Old 07-23-06, 02:11 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Big Paulie
I hope Floyd's parents would be as interested and supportive -- as they are now reported to be -- if he wasn't as successful. It should be about his desire to live his life on his own terms, not that he's winning big races.
And I'm sure they are. I've never met a mama yet that wasn't proud of her kids, regareless of whether they deserve that pride or not. Parents are just that way (thank goodness).
Old 07-23-06, 02:37 PM
Big Paulie

Originally Posted by FarHorizon
And I'm sure they are. I've never met a mama yet that wasn't proud of her kids, regareless of whether they deserve that pride or not. Parents are just that way (thank goodness).
I'm a little sesnitive about this subject (Mennonite culture) because my father's side of the family were Mennonites from Pennsylvania, and from what I've heard over the years, they were a cold group of people when it came to their children's personal lives. I'm sure this doesn't represent all Mennonites, of course. But it was the first thing that came to my mind when they started talking about Floyd's conflict with his father over his desire to race. There apparently was a reconcillation between the two at some point, and I'm hoping it wasn't a result of his success as a pro, just an understanding that he has a right to live his life.

I couldn't be happier with Floyd and his win!!!! What if he comes back from hip surgery and does it again????
Old 07-23-06, 04:14 PM
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Everyone knows about Armstrong's amazing recovery from cancer and now, about Landis' hip issues. Some forget that LeMond was told to abandon his race for the yellow to allow Hinault to win his 5th Tour, and he did it. Hinault promised he would help LeMond win the next year (the first American win) if LeMond allowed him to win. The next year Hinault tried to back out and win a sixth but LeMond would have none of it. After becoming the first American winner he was shot in a hunting accident and left with pellets in his lung and heart. After two years out of racing he came back and won two more Tours. If the cycling gods had been smiling LeMond would have won 6 tours IMHO. But, the point of this is that 3 Americans have won 11 Tours and each overcame some amazing adversity. Now that's style! Rock on!

bruce19
Old 07-23-06, 04:19 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

I heard an interview of Ladis' Mom:

To paraphrase what she said: "Floyd always said that being in second place is nothing more than being a first place looser."
Old 07-23-06, 04:45 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

I live a couple of hours from where Landis grew up (I have been living here about 2 years) and the local newscaster just did a teaser... Did Floyd Lander win? Details in a few minutes.

I suspect that they will make no mistakes about Billy Bob Speedbump or whoever won the Pocono Nascar race today...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-23-06, 04:47 PM
Brian_1
bike fandango

n/a

Last edited by Brian_1; 08-12-06 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-23-06, 04:49 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by dgregory57
...I suspect that they will make no mistakes about Billy Bob Speedbump or whoever won the Pocono Nascar race today...
Same here - my local news goes on ad-nauseum about Tiger Woods' golf scores with no mention whatsoever of Floyd Landis. Bah-Humbug!
Old 07-23-06, 05:05 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Brian_1
It's not about where a rider has legal residence, it's what's in the riders heart that counts, many cyclists have overcome adversities we hear little about. No need to myth build - especially if it's got a nationalistic bent. Congratulations to Mr. Landis and to all the other Tour competitors - you all have lion hearts.

+1 A voice of reason in the midst of all the regional chest thumping!
Old 07-23-06, 05:08 PM
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Hey, that is grueling work swinging those clubs.... thank goodness Tiger has a caddy.
Old 07-23-06, 05:11 PM
Big Paulie

Originally Posted by Brian_1
It's not about where a rider has legal residence, it's what's in the riders heart that counts, many cyclists have overcome adversities we hear little about. No need to myth build - especially if it's got a nationalistic bent. Congratulations to Mr. Landis and to all the other Tour competitors - you all have lion hearts.
Originally Posted by NOS88
+1 A voice of reason in the midst of all the regional chest thumping!
Good points.
Old 07-23-06, 05:13 PM
Big Paulie

Originally Posted by Grampy™
Hey, that is grueling work swinging those clubs.... thank goodness Tiger has a caddy.
Imagine if fans could run out onto the course and get 2 inches away from Tiger as he was walking down the fairway...or just as he was about to swing!

Last edited by Big Paulie; 07-23-06 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-23-06, 07:25 PM
Raketmensch

Originally Posted by stapfam
I stand to be corrected, but the Normal Frenchman will appreciate the manner in which Floyd won.
I think you're absolutely right about that, stapfam. From what I have seen of it, the French people -- and to a very substantial degree, the French media too, since Morzine -- have really embraced Floyd. He's humble, he's determined, and he's courageous... what's not to like?

And I don't think that fact that he's an American has much to do with it one way or another. Yeah, Floyd's an American. He races for a Swiss team. His most effective teammate was a Belgian. Cycling's an international sport, and the teams that contest it at the highest level are dominantly international in their makeup. I'm an American, and proud of it, and I'm also damn proud of Floyd... but because he's a great cyclist that I admire, not because he's an American.
Old 07-23-06, 07:49 PM
Big Paulie

Originally Posted by Raketmensch
I'm an American, and proud of it, and I'm also damn proud of Floyd... but because he's a great cyclist that I admire, not because he's an American.
Floyd transcends nationality for some reason. Lance, on the other hand, is "very AMerican," if there is such a thing. I can see where Floyd will completely avoid any nationalism or prejudice in his career.
Old 07-23-06, 08:04 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Originally Posted by Raketmensch
I think you're absolutely right about that, stapfam. From what I have seen of it, the French people -- and to a very substantial degree, the French media too, since Morzine -- have really embraced Floyd. He's humble, he's determined, and he's courageous... what's not to like?

And I don't think that fact that he's an American has much to do with it one way or another. Yeah, Floyd's an American. He races for a Swiss team. His most effective teammate was a Belgian. Cycling's an international sport, and the teams that contest it at the highest level are dominantly international in their makeup. I'm an American, and proud of it, and I'm also damn proud of Floyd... but because he's a great cyclist that I admire, not because he's an American.
Good points. By the way, regarding the international makeup of great cycling teams, I went to the Phonak team website and found that there are team members from four continents and 13 countries.
Old 07-23-06, 08:36 PM
Old Hammer Boy

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Originally Posted by bruce19
Everyone knows about Armstrong's amazing recovery from cancer and now, about Landis' hip issues. Some forget that LeMond was told to abandon his race for the yellow to allow Hinault to win his 5th Tour, and he did it. Hinault promised he would help LeMond win the next year (the first American win) if LeMond allowed him to win. The next year Hinault tried to back out and win a sixth but LeMond would have none of it. After becoming the first American winner he was shot in a hunting accident and left with pellets in his lung and heart. After two years out of racing he came back and won two more Tours. If the cycling gods had been smiling LeMond would have won 6 tours IMHO. But, the point of this is that 3 Americans have won 11 Tours and each overcame some amazing adversity. Now that's style! Rock on!

bruce19
One has to wonder, and as the old saying goes, "If it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger"--- was the strength these three guys found within themselved obtained by knowing what real suffering is all about? When you think of the heart Floyd, Greg and Lance found within themselves, it certainly looks that way. I'm happy for them and only hope they find the same success off of their bikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service