Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First Birthday Ride

Old 07-23-06, 06:28 PM
HopedaleHills
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First Birthday Ride

Well, got home from vacation on Cape Cod yesterday and, Tah Dah, I accomplished my first birthday ride. Not only that, my wife rode with me, so did hers, +2, also. We rode from Hardings Beach in Chatham to the Chatham airport to catch the Chatham-Harwich connector trail. That trail meets with the Cape Cod rail trail after 7 miles. From there the CCRT takes you through Brewster, Orleans, Eastham, and finally Wellfleet, 28 miles from the start. We stopped for a short rest at mile 20 and then stopped for lunch at Arnolds at mile 30 (fish sandwiches, curly fries, and lemonade).

Proceeded from Arnolds back toward Chatham with tropical storm Beryl bearing down on the cape. We stopped briefly for a potty break and photo op at mile forty. The last 7 miles were pretty tough as it was then about 5PM and Beryl was getting closer. Of course we were riding back toward the beach which meant riding directly into the wind and rain. But, we made it and it feels pretty good to rip off 56 miles in my first year. The only issue was a very sore left groin muscle the next day. The required pictures are attached. Don't tell Mrs. Hopedale hers was included, and PLEASE ignore the growing bulge around my middle (too much pie).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0607_sm.jpg (24.0 KB, 4 views)
100_0609_sm.jpg (60.3 KB, 4 views)
100_0611_sm.jpg (55.1 KB, 12 views)
100_0612_sm.jpg (53.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-23-06, 06:36 PM
p8rider

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations!
It looks as though the Cape is a great place to ride. Nice pics!