Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Took my bike to the Beach

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-23-06, 06:48 PM
p8rider

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was away all of last week for one of our annual journeys to the North Carolina coast. This year though, I took my bike along. Purchased a nice roof bike carrier, you're all probably familiar with the type where the front wheel is removed and the fork is locked into the rack. Even with no instructions it was an easy installation.
Enjoyed riding in the flatland all week. The total vertical change on the ride might have been 4 feet. I did feel somewhat different though in that there was no downhill coasting. Just an hour and a quarter of pedaling.
Saw alot of riders, I passed some and was passed by many. The final riding day, I came across a local rider and struck up a conversation, wound up riding with him for the entire time. Completed a good 28 mile ride with an 18.1 average mph. total for the week was 118 miles!
Along our way, he got a flat crossing a bad concrete roadway seam. I had a spare tube so lent it to him rather than his using a quick patch. Then his CO2 system malfunctioned, letting all of the gas escape before he could fill the tire so I got to see my mini frame pump in use.
Later in the day when I came back up to our house from the beach, there was a new tube on the porch table, nice guy!
Old 07-26-06, 09:15 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Good riding Dan!! While it is flatter on the coast you never can count out the wind.......plus you don't ever seem to get a break from pedaling either like you do with some coasting down our hills!!! With the temps up you did great!!