Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Satisfaction...is it possible?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-24-06, 08:32 PM
dauphin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Three months ago words like sora, tiagra, 105, ultegra, and dura-ace....meant nothing to me. Campy? Wasn't he a famous baseball player? Geometry? I barely passed that in the ninth grade. Ok, so I'm still not an expert, but I have learned which things are more expensive... As I was sitting here wondering what kind of bike I want and can afford, I thought about the dream scenario of picking any bike regardless of expense. If money were no object, would you be happy with your current bike? Would 105 suddenly give way to Ultegra and then Dura-Ace? Would having the world's most expensive bike be down the road for you? What if you came into a huge sum of money and you already owned a bike that you thought was "perfect" for you?
Old 07-24-06, 09:00 PM
CrossChain

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dauphin.....some cyclists become so enamored of the tech/equipment side of riding that they somehow equate status of gear with personal skill and worthiness. It's up to each of us to find a balance that works for us. Miles in the legs make us worthy, and you can't order those from Colorado Cyclist.

Gotta have DuraAce/Record. Maybe. When I first started riding, local riders were doing amazing feats of riding skill that would awe people today using gear that, while it may have been good then, would go on a $300 dollar bike today. People climbed and descended the same mountains (which haven't changed) at the same speeds with 5 speed freewheels and Nuovo Record (go look 'em up) friction shifters and weirdly configured derailleurs where you had to "overshift" and then pull it back quick.

Thankfully, things are so much smoother and convenient today. Just keep in mind, "need" is sometimes just perceived. Many people will find a margin of difference in DA stuff, some won't. Just make sure you can perceive the differences before buying into them. Sometimes it takes some miles of riding behind you to appreciate those differences. In the meantime, 105/Veloce will get you up those same mountains. And you won't have to overshift, either.
Old 07-24-06, 09:00 PM
megaman
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The title of your thread asks if satisfaction is possible. Wow, you could go a lot of ways with that statement. It sounds like you aren't happy with your current ride. But if someone isn't happy on their current ride it's just possible that there's no way to please them(not saying that's correct in this case).

For me I'd buy the same style as I have now(a tadpole trike), but maybe a more expensive one. That said, if I ever wound up with a large amount of money, it's just possible cycling could get lost in the process. Why, cause changing my lifestyle would probably getting me doing a lot of things I've only dreamed about. Even though I do dream of touring.

In any case, I'm satisfied now and very happy riding the way I am. I'm not really in any real need of more money other than I could also spend more on my cycling and other hobbles.
Old 07-24-06, 09:43 PM
NOS88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is satisfaction possible? Only on a moment by moment basis. If I think about what could be, I lose track of what is. Hence, I'm most satisfied when I enjoy the pleasures my current rig is giving me on my current ride. I've finally got my favorite bike set up so it's comfortable for long hours, and it's much faster than I am. So, when I'm hankering for something new, I try to remind myself how good I already have it. BTW, I didn't go for the Dura Ace; stayed with the Ultegra. If I had unlimted funds, I think I'd rather spend it on going places to ride instead of changing my current setup.
Old 07-24-06, 10:13 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm too dull to be able to write something deeply philosophical. I know that I love my bike (Giant OCR2 Comp) and its upgrades. I'm waiting for my FSA K-wing handlebars to arrive, THEN I WILL BE SATISFIED! Oh wait, I might want one of those expensive GPS cyclometers, but THEN I WILL BE SATISFIED! Unless I get a new underseat bag that matches my color scheme, but THEN I WILL BE SATISFIED! Unless . . .
Old 07-25-06, 02:49 AM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I bought my first road bike in 1983, I did lots of research and was a subscriber to several cycling magazines. I got a pretty good bike and was satisfied. The next issues of the magazine promoted all sorts of new stuff that was "better" than the rig I just bought. I dealt with it by letting my subscriptions lapse and was a happy rider of that bike for more than two decades. In fact, I still ride that bike a lot and enjoy it immensely.

By he way, I'm not a retro grouch. I did get a modern road bike a couple of years ago and I like it a lot. But I hate being in the back pocket of Madison Avenue.
Old 07-25-06, 06:24 AM
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In believe one way to save a bundle when buying new is to forget DA and go with Ultegra. I've got tens of thousands of miles on Ultegra and it still shifts smooth as silk. I've been told that the new 10 speed stuff is eaven closer to the feel of DA.
Old 07-25-06, 06:51 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, I have the feeling as well. About 12mos ago I bought a mid priced bike because I was not sure I was going to keep riding. 4500 miles later I have the lust in my heart but lack the cash in my wallet or the approval of my spouse for my dream bike. Will I be completely satisfied when/if I get it, I hope so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Scott.jpg (44.3 KB, 20 views)

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-25-06, 07:56 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Satisfaction is enough. Enough of anything that pleases you on a
deep personal level.

Enough is knowing that whatever you have (or ride) will do the job in
comfort with little or no problems at a reasonable cost. Enough is
knowing that the brand name or model level isn't the holy grail to chase
only that function is key.

Enough is the total lack of envy or desire for someone else's product or ride.

Enough is peace of soul. Enough is just right.
Old 07-25-06, 08:06 AM
centexwoody

Bikes: 2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+ 1 YES! wisely stated, Tightwad

altho I would add that 'function is key' might be expanded to include an aesthetic sense of satisfaction as well - that you like the way the (your) bike looks, its lines, its geometry, its style...
Old 07-25-06, 08:40 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A $6,000 Dura Ace 17 pound carbon bike would be wasted on me, as I probably couldn't push it much faster than I do my aluminum Fuji. That said, I have considered putting down a payment for a custom Rivendell or a Waterford, since it won't be ready for two years, and Dura-Acing it. I have convinced the Mrs. that such a bike would totally satiate my desire to own additional two wheeled vehicles (right).

It's all academic, as I haven't ridden in four weeks. I hope to do a little time on the fat tired mountain bike around the neighborhood this weekend after I get my arm out of a sling.
Old 07-25-06, 09:31 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I ride for myriad reasons, including, in no particular order: 1) mental health; 2) physical health; 3) environmental commitment; 4) independence; 5) economics; and 6) sheer enjoyment. One of the beauties of this sport is that, as a nonracer, I do not need to spend $2k or more every few years on a new steed to achieve all of my objectives. In contrast, I derive immense satisfaction from finding, restoring, sometimes updating, and riding vintage equipment. I seriously doubt I would be significantly faster on Lance Armstrong's bike than on my mid-level, 25-year-old 10kg Bianchi, which already has the two most important ingredients for speed: light wheels and a stiff, properly-fitting frame.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-25-06, 04:00 PM
cruzMOKS
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Satisfaction? A few days with minimal miles because of the heat then it cools down with
rain last Friday. Saturday morning I am on the road and it feels cool. I get to a rural area
of the road going about 18 mph (I already have about 20 miles in) and I’m not tired. I
don’t know how far I am going to go but I know I am good for a lot more.

Now to me that is satisfaction. A bike that works, energy to burn and an open road.
Old 07-25-06, 04:01 PM
dauphin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too bad this isn't like court...where you can withdraw the question.
Old 07-25-06, 05:44 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dauphin
Too bad this isn't like court...where you can withdraw the question.
No, this is a very relevant question.

One of the really beautiful thangs about bicycles (at least so far) is their relative standardization. As much as Shimano tries to lock you into buying just their components, it's still possible to outwit them. Today, bottom brackets come in two threadings, head tubes used to come in 1", now they come in 1 1/8". All front hubs have 100mm spacing to fit any fork.

So I think the best approach is to treat your bike as a work in progress, just like the rest of your life. The biggest mistake you can make is to go for instant gratification, going out and buying that all D-A 10 carbon fiber bike with the carbon wheels and carbon bars & stem.

No, it's much more fulfilling to take your time getting there. You start with the modest steel frame with 9sp Ultegra. You replace the steel fork with a carbon fork. A little later, you make a big jump - you get a Centaur 10spd rear derailleur, Centaur 10 sp Ergo levers, and a 105 10sp cassette. You replace the 9 with the 10 on the Shimano wheel and you install the Campag drive train. What do you know, it works! A few months later you get a nice set of Campag 10sp race wheels, and the shifting improves marginally. The next year you replace the Centaur 10sp Ergo levers with the black carbon Record units because you won an ebay auction. And so on and on for the rest of your life. And this is a constant state of achieving satisfaction.

The fun is in getting there.

- L.
Old 07-25-06, 06:11 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My interim-until-the-kids-are-out-of-college-and-I-can-afford-a-custom bike turned out to be my dream bike after all. Actually two of them, a Rivendell Atlantis I built and a Riv Rambouillet I bought used. My total investment is about $2500, which is enough money to make me take notice, but I really can't imagine a bike I'd like more.
The Atlantis is set up with fat tires, low gears, Brooks saddle etc, and I ride it most of the time. The Rambo is a similar design, but with slightly steeper angles, lighter tubing and I've put on faster wheels and skinnier tires (still 28s, but compared to 37s on the Atlantis). Between the two, I can go nearly anywhere and keep up with anybody i could keep up with anyway. I really don't think I'll ever buy another bike, at least not until I have to fall back on a recumbent.
Old 07-25-06, 06:17 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
My interim-until-the-kids-are-out-of-college-and-I-can-afford-a-custom bike turned out to be my dream bike after all. Actually two of them, a Rivendell Atlantis I built and a Riv Rambouillet I bought used. My total investment is about $2500, which is enough money to make me take notice, but I really can't imagine a bike I'd like more.
The Atlantis is set up with fat tires, low gears, Brooks saddle etc, and I ride it most of the time. The Rambo is a similar design, but with slightly steeper angles, lighter tubing and I've put on faster wheels and skinnier tires (still 28s, but compared to 37s on the Atlantis). Between the two, I can go nearly anywhere and keep up with anybody i could keep up with anyway. I really don't think I'll ever buy another bike, at least not until I have to fall back on a recumbent.
I'd say you hit it out of the park on both bikes. Nothing "interim" about either, in my opinion.