Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Ebay scam? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/214094-ebay-scam.html)

dauphin 07-26-06 01:37 PM

Ebay scam?

I realize this might be more appropriate in another area of BF, but has anyone seen the list of bikes that just went up for auction on a one day time frame? No reserves, no shipping. If you go to Ebay type in Specialized Roubaix. If you visit the page and then click on the seller's other items, it's a huge list of bikes all listed in basically the same way. Seems fishy to me.

dauphin 07-26-06 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by dauphin
I realize this might be more appropriate in another area of BF, but has anyone seen the list of bikes that just went up for auction on a one day time frame? No reserves, no shipping. If you go to Ebay type in Specialized Roubaix. If you visit the page and then click on the seller's other items, it's a huge list of bikes all listed in basically the same way. Seems fishy to me.

No wonder, thirty seconds later...all the listings were yanked. Puzzling.

dauphin 07-26-06 01:43 PM

Perhaps the seller realized that none of the listings had reserves. Can you imagine being able to buy a new bike for .01?:roflmao:

Monoborracho 07-26-06 02:17 PM

There were also some Time Trial and 5.2 Madone Treks on for one day sale with prices of a few hundred dollars. Also, numerous withdrawn bids and name withheld, etc. Avoid those deals like the plague.

If it seems too good to be true....it usually is.

FarHorizon 07-26-06 02:17 PM

Multiple listings are iffy, but I often post stuff at 0.99 with no reserve if I'm sure the item is popular. The low price attracts many watchers, and before the end of the auction, the item gets bid above where it would have landed had I started with a realistic minimum. Everybody likes a (potential) bargain!

dauphin 07-26-06 02:37 PM

That was a weird one. All of the listings showed pics of the bikes and the usual stats. All except frame size. So I clicked on the button that said "ask seller a question" to ask the size. The reply I got back was from a totally different "seller" saying I don't know. Immediately after that, all the listings were yanked.

Artkansas 07-26-06 04:36 PM

I've seen auctions where people made a listing in eBay to get your attention and when you click on the listing to see the auction, you go to the auction page and then, it moves you to a virus infected page. This is experience, not hearsay. eBay did remove the listings I found soon after I complained to their credit.

dauphin 07-26-06 04:45 PM

so now I just get this email about the yanked auction....

"Hello,

Thank you for your question, the bike you inquire about is brand new and it
is available in multiple sizes. You can choose the bikes size when you are
ready to order it. It will be shipped fully assembled but without the pedals.
This bike is eligible for manufacturer warranty and for that purpose the receipt
and all the papers will be sent to you along with it.

The shipping will be made with either UPS or USPS and all the shipping
charges are included in the price. Of course the shipping will be insured.
As for the payment I decided that an escrow service (third party) is the
best way to conduct the transaction, the escrow service that I am working
with is www.bwescrow.com

The reserve price for this bike is $1250.00. You will have 15 days to
inspect the bike and if by chance you will find anything that you don't like
about it you will receive a full refund or exchange it. Well that's about it,
if you feel ready to buy the bike please reply with your full name, address and
I will start a transaction through the escrow service.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Marshall Harris Marshall@DnYSales.Com"

Very strange.

George 07-26-06 05:36 PM

ebay

I've had dealings with ebay and I don't even go to there web site anymore,George

fthomas 07-26-06 05:54 PM

So where does a guy find a great deal on a slightly water damaged bike from LA, FarHorizon?

No seriously, I've been scouting eBay looking for a deal on a road bike and I'll be darned if any of them look like a deal to me.

Accessories, etc. may be fine, but a bike. The shipping charges alone scare me!!!!

FarHorizon 07-26-06 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by fthomas
So where does a guy find a great deal on a slightly water damaged bike from LA, FarHorizon?

Most of the bikes are still buried in the mud, but you've probably got water-damaged used cars on your local corner "Honest Moe's Used Jalopies."

dagna 07-26-06 09:04 PM

That was a weird one. All of the listings showed pics of the bikes and the usual stats. All except frame size. So I clicked on the button that said "ask seller a question" to ask the size. The reply I got back was from a totally different "seller" saying I don't know. Immediately after that, all the listings were yanked.

Most likely, scammers had hijacked a legitimate account that had legitimate feedback. YOur question went to the owner of the hijacked account, who complained to eBay.

The easiest way to spot hijacked accounts: the item description gives you an alternate email and directs you not to use the official eBay seller email link for some reason. If you check the feedback, it will be for teacups or postcards, but not for bikes. Another way to spot a scam: often the description says the item is Buy It Now, but the eBay Buy-It-Now icon is not enabled so you can't use BIN and must email. The whole idea is to get you out of the eBay system by using their private email address. People who have contacted them report the interaction usually leads to the fake-escrow scam or the UPS/USPS shipment confirmation scam.

No-one legitimate sells a brand-new high-end bike at 75 percent or more discount, and no-one legitimate has huge overstocks of high-end bikes that they simply must get rid of on eBay. These scams go on constantly, have been going on constantly, and will go on as long as they work. As far as I can tell, eBay does nothing to stop them other than removing the items IF someone complains.

Last year I reported three different auctions by scammers selling the same limited edition numbered Livestrong Madone. It's truly buyer beware.

Dagna