Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A Whopping 3.5 Mile Ride - First In a Month

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 08:09 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

Today I finally got to take my arm from the sling. It was four weeks ago today that I had a rather ugly shoulder repair. I also finished the first round of passive therapy and was told I have a good range of motion in the arm. I still can't lift my arm over my head, thread my belt loops on the right side, or use the right hand to shampoo my head. The next round of therapy is assisted lifts, using my left arm and a pulley to make the right arm move around. Not that I'm a sissy, but the pain, the medicine and the resultant intermittent sleep has resulted in my doing nothing aerobic for a month.

The doc was iffy on giving me permission to ride. Therapist pretty much said he wasn't going to comment, but not to do anything to injure the repair. The Mrs. said I should know what I can and can't do.

I decided the road bike or touring bike would definitely be too rough. I took the smooth tired MTB I use for dirt roads and lowered the tire pressure to the 26x1.95 tires to 35 psi, the minimum recommended. I took the bar ends and turned them almost straight up so I could really keep the pressure off my arms. Really, No. 3 son did these things for me. I lowered the seat a little just to make for easier control. Then I took it out for a spin around the neighborhood in 101 degree heat. I climbed a few 40' hills in the process to see how the legs were. I'm definitely not ready to ride a century. But I did make 3.5 miles in 20 minutes, including stop signs, so its a start.

Tomorrow morning we leave for 10 days vacation in San Antonio and the south Texas Hill Country. Mrs. has agreed to take my truck, which has the bike rack, and to let me bring one bike, so I will take the old faithful Schwinn Mesa mountain bike (the one I was riding when I tore the shoulder). We'll stop for a day or so at my brother's lake house where he has recently started riding again. Then I hope to maybe get back up to 10 miles a day riding a few paths and some climbing country roads. If nothing else, I'm get a good workout on the hills. What I'm really worried about is leaving No. 3 and No. 4 son home alone.

I'll catch up with you guys in a week or so. Blackberry has my proxy for any important business.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 07-27-06 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-27-06, 08:23 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Have a great trip! You've earned it for sure. Don't worry about #3 son. We just returned from 8 days away and had left #2 daughter and #3 son at home and even the grass got mowed.....
Old 07-27-06, 10:08 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Heal fast! This surgery thing (just had my mtn bike accident repaired) is not something that I would recommend to anyone. I feel fortunate not to have the degree of effort to recover that you do, but can empathize none the less.

Have a great vacation!!!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 07-27-06, 10:58 PM

Bikes: 1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go! You will be suprised how fast your legs will come back just don't do anything technical down in the Hill Country. Watch that shoulder. Man, I'd love to find a teaching job there. Hey, on the bright side, think of the empathy you can show to new/old riders who haven't been on a bike in ??years. Keep it up and have fun.
Old 07-28-06, 02:23 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
That first ride back after surgery is a joy. Hope that the shoulder is not too painfull but if it hurts afterward- a long rest and a bottle of scotch might help.

Spike Milligan